digi 002 interface options! why so few?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

activesoundmedia
ass engineer

digi 002 interface options! why so few?

Post by activesoundmedia » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:07 pm

So, are there only the 3 interfaces for 002 under $500? I have only found the ada8000, the alesis ai3, and the tango 24.

I need a 8 channel ad/da for a 002 rig. does anyone here use their old adats? do these interfaces just show up as an external adat device?

also I am looking to buy, so let me know what you have for sale.
thanks ryan

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:58 pm

I may be in the minority, but it seems like three is a lot of choices to me. How much are you looking to spend? What different features do you want? 8 channels. A/D and D/A conversion up to 96k. Adat, spdif, and analog outputs? Only three choices?

I suppose you could buy adat's online, but something like the focusrite ocotpre (like, $500 or something) should be more than enough. Right?

Edit: I was just looking at your site. You have some nice stuff. Go with something a little more high end. Your recordings will be the better for it. Or you could go with the Alesis or SM-Pro and get them modded by Black Lion Audio.

Ian

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:56 am

just off the top of my head, focusrite, presonus, m-audio all make something like what you're looking for. all for right around 500$

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:11 am

You can even use almost any MOTU interface in its standalone CueMix mode for this. Be aware that the 002 and 003 only go up to 48 kHz on their ADAT I/O, so if money is tight and you will only be using this as a 002 expansion, you might look at just a 44.1/48 capable device.

Todd Wilcox

activesoundmedia
ass engineer

Post by activesoundmedia » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:08 pm

thanks for the replys, I will be using this with pt7 digi 002 rack. all I need it for is to add 8 ins and outs i dont need preamps. I use an analog console so pres and aux sends are no problem. I had no idea you could use motu gear to do this. can someone tell me more. I have dp 4.6 as well so going motu would give me 32 ins and outs. and i use a 32 c hannel console. huh!
thanks ryan

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:26 pm

marsrecordingstudio wrote:thanks for the replys, I will be using this with pt7 digi 002 rack. all I need it for is to add 8 ins and outs i dont need preamps. I use an analog console so pres and aux sends are no problem. I had no idea you could use motu gear to do this. can someone tell me more. I have dp 4.6 as well so going motu would give me 32 ins and outs. and i use a 32 c hannel console. huh!
thanks ryan
you could use a 2408 to do this. Just use the CueMix software to route the 8 analog inputs to the first bank of ADAT outputs and the 8 analog outputs to the first bank of ADAT inputs. Then, connect the 2408 to your 002 and you're ready to go.

alternatively, I've still got a Tango24 that I'd be willing to sell for $400, shipping included. I'd have to fire it up and test it again. I haven't used it in a while. But, it always worked great for me and it sounded great for a pretty inexpensive converter. I think it was around $750 new.

cyantologist
gettin' sounds

Post by cyantologist » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Check out the mackie onyx 800r. I'm only a novice so take it with a grain of salt, but I've been really happy with it. I don't have a lot to compare it to as far as sound quality goes because I haven't really had anything similar, but it's really solid and easy to use, has great features, and sounds good to me. Also check out the presonus digimax. If you look around, you've got way more options than just what you listed. It seems like more and more companies are coming out with similar stuff just recently.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:46 pm

marsrecordingstudio wrote:thanks for the replys, I will be using this with pt7 digi 002 rack. all I need it for is to add 8 ins and outs i dont need preamps. I use an analog console so pres and aux sends are no problem. I had no idea you could use motu gear to do this. can someone tell me more. I have dp 4.6 as well so going motu would give me 32 ins and outs. and i use a 32 c hannel console. huh!
thanks ryan
Don't forget that you are still limited to the 18 inputs of the digi no matter what you get.

activesoundmedia
ass engineer

Post by activesoundmedia » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:01 pm

[[/quote] Don't forget that you are still limited to the 18 inputs of the digi no matter what you get.[/quote]

I wont, But you can do alot with 18 ins outs in pro tools. thanks for the reminder. r

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:02 pm

the OctoPre LE can be found for around $500 and has 8 line in/out (you'll need the ADAT card) as well as 8 utility pres. I used to have one and used both the pres and the lines in with my digi 002r.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

activesoundmedia
ass engineer

Post by activesoundmedia » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:15 pm

can one enlighten me on some motu gear that will work with my current 424 pci card while in dp, and also the adat i/o while useing pt. thanks r

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:18 pm

marsrecordingstudio wrote:can one enlighten me on some motu gear that will work with my current 424 pci card while in dp, and also the adat i/o while useing pt. thanks r
subatomic pieces wrote:you could use a 2408 to do this. Just use the CueMix software to route the 8 analog inputs to the first bank of ADAT outputs and the 8 analog outputs to the first bank of ADAT inputs. Then, connect the 2408 to your 002 and you're ready to go.

activesoundmedia
ass engineer

Post by activesoundmedia » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:04 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:you could use a 2408 to do this. Just use the CueMix software to route the 8 analog inputs to the first bank of ADAT outputs and the 8 analog outputs to the first bank of ADAT inputs. Then, connect the 2408 to your 002 and you're ready to go.
[/quote]

I totaly did not see that post, sorry sub. have you used the motu to do this? also tell me more about your tango. What is the better sounding unit? thanks ryan