Neumann Kms-105 for the studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Neumann Kms-105 for the studio

Post by Lost on side » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:21 pm

I am curious what results folks have had recording with this mic, which is cheaper than the "studio" Neumann mics, and why it is considered a "live" mic (I can only think it's because of it pickup pattern), and not a studio mic. It gets such raves.

iC
pushin' record

step one

Post by iC » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:54 pm

Matched with the right voice, it can speak like any microphone, given the chance, will speak. Borrow one and see what you get...
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:44 am

It's considered a live mic because it is designed for handheld use - just try that with a U87 :lol:

It gets its rave reviews because it is being compared to mic's which are used in a similar manner - SM58's for example - and in that case it blows most of the competition out of the water both sound- and price-wise (there are others however...).

In the studio, it has its uses, but just because it has a Neumann badge means nothing - in most cases the KMS105 won't hold a candle to the higher-end large diaphragm mic's (like the U87).

It is a decent super (or hyper?) cardioid condenser microphone and it would be useful in any case where such a mic would come in handy. If you have a small live room and you want to record the singer live with the band, or if you have a singing guitarist and you need the narrower pickup pattern to get more isolation on the voice, or if the singer is just one of those types who performs best holding the mic, this mic could be just the ticket.
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum