sm57 vs. 57beta (have you tried this?)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

sm57 vs. 57beta (have you tried this?)

Post by thereminman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:18 pm

here's my experience at comparing the two...anyone have a different experience?(short version: except for the extra wind-protection on the beta...they sounded very very similair)

Ok, so I recieved a 57beta for Christmas. (thanks Santa!)
I've used regular 57s for recording for a long time now--mostly
on recording guitars through amps.

Today I recorded a rhythm guitar part with both mics[almost on top of the grill--on-axis, near edge of speaker cone] (I put one on one track and the other on another---just switched out the mics---same channel---same cable everything for each take.)---now, the shape of the mic's end point is a bit different, --the 57beta having that screen thing.

I listened back, and I couldn't really hear a difference...I thought *maybe* I was hearing a bit more low end out of the standard 57...but couldn't really confirm this---mostly as I A/Bd the two tracks...they sounded pretty much the same.If there was a level difference, it was small.

I then recorded a bass part through a bass amp [about 5 inches out]----again...couldn't hear a difference.

I then tried speaking into the two mics while they were plugged into a small yamaha PA head through some speaker cabs---still, couldn't hear a difference in sound---levels seemed the same too (I assumed the beta would be 'hotter' for some reason)---the only DIFFERENCE..was that you didn't hear the breath noise as much on the beta----

----so is that IT for the difference? Not complaining...kind of glad...works just like a 57 in the studio, but if using live for vocals, has a bit more wind protection.

I just checked the Shure site, and the graphs of their frequency response don't exactly have the same shape, but the graphs aren't done identically either...one shows the response from different distances...but even so, the basic 'shape' of it is not the same.

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:40 am

i think they might have a slightly different pattern.
i use both live all the time. i need to adjust monitor placement depending
on which one i use.

beta 57 manual:
"For maximum rejection of unwanted sound, place the stage
monitor or P.A. system loudspeaker at a 60? angle from the
rear of the Beta 57A, not directly behind it (see Figure 1). Always
check out the stage setup before a performance to ensure
that placement of microphone and monitors is optimum."

sm57 manual:
"Place the stage monitor directly behind the microphone
(see Figure 1). Locate the P.A. loudspeakers so that they
point away from the rear of the microphone. With the speakers
located in these positions, the possibility of feedback is
greatly reduced. Always check the stage setup before a performance
to ensure optimum placement."

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:12 am

I own both mics and I can hear the biggest difference when close mic'ing. The pickup pattern is a little wacky on the beta, so it can pick up some weird, but not bad per se, things on a snare drum and I find it to have a totally different sound on guitar amps that are slightly overdriven than the regular 57. It almost sounds the same for some reason if a guitar amp is heavily overdriven though for whatever reason. At any rate, YMMV depending on the room and, because of the pickup pattern, what's around and behind the mic causing reflections or dampening or something like that. I always try to use both mics to AB a source, but the 57 wins every time. The beta just might be ready for the buy/sell/trade forum actually!

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:17 pm

have 2 57's and a Beta 57. Really the only thing the Beta 57 gets used on alot is snare. I think it handles the transients a little better and can't take more level, but I haven't done extensive A/B tests and also don't use the 57's for guitar anymore, so many better choices now. Now you have me wondering.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Try them off axis. The Betas aren't quite as good off axis IMHO.

glagola1
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by glagola1 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:06 am

Man, my beta57 is much brighter than any of my 57s. It's also more sensitive. I can't believe you can't hear a difference. I've actually had some luck recording female vocals with the Beta57.
I miss the days of Ass Engineer.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 am

mixedupsteve wrote:Try them off axis. The Betas aren't quite as good off axis IMHO.
Well, they ARE supercardioid, and as such designed to reject off-axis ...

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:18 am

Strange thread. Well, I think the Beta is great for snare top as opposed to the 57 when you want something durable and cannot use a condensor mic. The plastic top of the 57 would break under a punk kid's stick where as the beta has that wonderful metal top! I think the big differences in the two are that the Beta has the metal durable top, a higher freaquency range, and a slightly different pattern. Just decide how to utilise these features.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.