Fender HotRod Deville Mods

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Fender HotRod Deville Mods

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:05 am

I have purchased most of the parts to perform several mods on my HRD 2x12. http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

I bought this amp new in 1997 or 1998 (amp was built in June of 1997) and have always thought the tone to be ok but not great. After spending time on the above site, I've found information pertaining to the amp that I agree with and am anxious to modify.

My question is, has anyone here done these mods? Has anyone heard or played through a HotRod Deville or Deluxe that has had these mods done? If so, what did you think? Do these mods really make the amp into something really special? I plan on performing the Master Volume Mod, The Brightness Mod, Changing to JJ tubes, eventually replacing speakers (I will wait on this one til after I do the mods), and change the input jacks while I've got the chassis out. I haven't decided whether to do any reverb mods just yet...I might hold off on those for awhile.

My goal for this amp is to have better overall tone that what it has now and be able to tame the amp level down a LITTLE. I am not looking for an amp attenuator or anything like that I just want a slightly more usable amp ala the Master Volume Mod.

Also, if anyone can give advice on what speakers I may consider to use I'd appreciate it. I know this is as wide open as what tubes to use but I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:01 pm

I had an HRD 2x12 for a while and got rid of it because it never sounded as good as my Blues Deluxe 1x12 (same amp without the Hot Rod circuit).

First thing I would do if I were you is call Bob at www.eurotubes.com and get a complete set of JJs for that amp. I would CALL Bob and tell him how early you want it to break up. Putting JJs in my Blues Deluxe was absolutely the single best tone upgrade I've ever done on anything. Ever.

After that, you might consider the mods.

Also, try setting the amp up like this:
Turn on the Drive channel but NOT More Drive. Put treble, bass, middle, and master at 12, reverb and presence to taste, and slowly bring up drive from 0 until you get the volume you want. It will be a little dirty but nice and crispy and funky. Try using a compressor out front to clean it up (or roll off the guitar volume) and get a really nice distortion pedal for the dirty sounds. Don't even change channels on the HRD. I'd say that setup combined with a nice Strat or Tele style guitar will be AWESOME (I use an ASAT classic with the BD like this).

At the very least, I would ignore the More Drive channel and get a good distortion pedal for this amp. Combine that with some new JJ tubes and I think you'll be a lot happier.

Todd Wilcox

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:41 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:Putting JJs in my Blues Deluxe was absolutely the single best tone upgrade I've ever done on anything. Ever.

my experiences have been that changing speakers has a bigger impact on tone than swapping tubes.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:28 pm

lyman wrote:
GooberNumber9 wrote:Putting JJs in my Blues Deluxe was absolutely the single best tone upgrade I've ever done on anything. Ever.

my experiences have been that changing speakers has a bigger impact on tone than swapping tubes.
six of one, half dozen of the other, IME.

it also depends on the guitar(s) going thru the amp...and the player.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

paully
pushin' record

Post by paully » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Tom,

There's an ongoing discussion about that amp here http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslut ... tions.html . Maybe you can pick up some ideas.

Best, Paul
WADAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:10 pm

Thanks Paul...will do!

Thanks Todd. I have already ordered JJ's and I pick them up tomorrow. We'll see how they sound. I have 3 other amps and this one is kind of my amp to play around with and tweak.

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:00 am

I would do the mods in the reverse order of what you are planning on.

i.e., swap speakers and tubes first and see where that leaves you. Then go after that awful sounding reverb, if you use reverb (or if it can be helped).

JJ makes some OK quality tubes, but they are not the best-sounding new production 12AX7 or 6L6 in my opinion. They DO have the best new production 6V6 and GZ34 in my opinion.

Tube manufacturers have their strengths and weaknesses. To assume that all JJ tubes are better than all other new production tubes is in my opinion inaccurate. "Winged C" Svetlana 6L6s have a very good reputation as far as a new production 6L6, but I stick mostly to old-stock tubes. In fact, some good "used old stock" tubes with plenty of life in them can be had for the same price as good new-production. I'd especially go that route for the first preamp tube or two. Preamp tubes hardly ever 'wear out,' it takes a long time, especially with quality old-stock tubes.

I would also consider the following:

If you feel the need to mod the amp, it is not giving you what you want.

Modding the amp costs money, and it also de-values the amp.

The amp is worth money, especially if un-modded.

You can add all that up and see whether or not the money might be spent just buying/building an amp that serves your needs better. Good luck.

gibsonripper
audio school graduate

Post by gibsonripper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:46 am

While speaker and tubes both make a big impact, mods to the Hotrod amp really do make a big difference...

I've done this 3 times now (for three of my customers here in Portland, Oregon).

If anyone is interested, check this out: http://www.getupmedia.com/fenderhotrod.html for one of my customer's webpage showing his and my work combined! Note: I did the electronic mods, while he did the cabinet and chassis mods!

Eric Hold
Wire Audio Electronics Repair
Portland, Oregon, USA
http://www.wireaudiorepair.com

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:47 am

Ok,

So I installed new JJ preamp & power amp tubes. Also, I did a very simple mod on the reverb circuit. I now have really nice breakup at a lower volume and a much more full tone. I've played several of my strats, my LP, and my ES-295. All sound very nice. I set this amp up for blues-rock tone. Still want some nice clean sound but also nice tube saturation. At some point, I am going to replace the speakers to experiment.

Brad- I appreciate the advice. However, I have 4 amps, three of which are my main amps I use for playing and recording. This one was my main amp for a long time but I wanted something better sounding so I bought a couple vintage amps. My Hotrod is more of a project amp at this point. I liked the stock tone but knew it could be much better. I will certainly try the Svetlana tubes at some point. I was looking at them a few days ago. I'll have a few sets of different tubes on hand in the near future for spares and tone options.

My Uncle has the same amp which he bought a few years after I bought mine. Turns out his is from 1996 (mine is a '97) and is one of the 50th Anniversary editions. His I'm not gonna mod.

Tom

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:19 pm

TV Lenny wrote:Ok,

So I installed new JJ preamp & power amp tubes. Also, I did a very simple mod on the reverb circuit. I now have really nice breakup at a lower volume and a much more full tone. I've played several of my strats, my LP, and my ES-295. All sound very nice. I set this amp up for blues-rock tone. Still want some nice clean sound but also nice tube saturation. At some point, I am going to replace the speakers to experiment.

Brad- I appreciate the advice. However, I have 4 amps, three of which are my main amps I use for playing and recording. This one was my main amp for a long time but I wanted something better sounding so I bought a couple vintage amps. My Hotrod is more of a project amp at this point. I liked the stock tone but knew it could be much better. I will certainly try the Svetlana tubes at some point. I was looking at them a few days ago. I'll have a few sets of different tubes on hand in the near future for spares and tone options.

My Uncle has the same amp which he bought a few years after I bought mine. Turns out his is from 1996 (mine is a '97) and is one of the 50th Anniversary editions. His I'm not gonna mod.

Tom
Cool. Having a project amp is fun. If you're not careful, you'll end up gutting it and putting an entirely different amp in the chassis. :D

There are a few things holding those amps back in my opinion, but they do represent a great value in amps. They are sort of a modern-day "silverface twin." Not great sounding, but not terrible sounding. Totally ubiquitous, they must've made and sold a million of them. They turn up as backline in venues and festivals and schools, etc. probably more than any other amp. They will always sound "fine" but usually not "great" (that is, unless the player playing them is great). There are things that can be done to improve them, but by and large they will always be what they are.

they can be improved however and be very nice and usable amps. Some people like them for clean sounds more than I do. I've heard some people who swear by them, I don't feel the same way but that's why they call it an opinion! 8)