Breathing solder/and other toxic studio gunk?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Breathing solder/and other toxic studio gunk?

Post by Alex Netick » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:28 am

I always read the warning labels, but like most of you, I've breathed my fair share of solder/polyurthane/studio gunk (just like I've listened to music for hours in front of blaring marshalls, in spite of warnings about my hearing). I keep seeing this shit on T.V. about recalled toys (granted I'm not a kid anymore). It makes me wonder how bad alot of the DIY studio stuff is for you?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:04 am

I've got a "fume extractor", a little benchtop rig with a fan and a filter that sucks away the solder fumes.

infopimpster
takin' a dinner break

Post by infopimpster » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:51 am

+1 on fume sucker - Fry's has em.

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:54 pm

Redid my patchbay last week ahead of an SCA preamp kit that's coming and thought the exact same thing.

Coke is bad for you. Standing next to a microwave. The verdict's still out on cellphones. The list goes on and on.

I guess the point is, I'd rather die soldering than from cigarettes...
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:57 pm

like anything else it probably depends on the level of exposure. If you are sucking down solder fumes 8 hours a day for 40 years plus overtime, I bet it would jack you up pretty good. But putting together a preamp kit or re-capping a channel here or there is probably not going to affect your health too much. But I'm no doctor. :D

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 am

You'll be fine, just wash your hands well before eating/smoking.

Sometimes if I have a lot of soldering to do, I'll stick a tiny little fan in my pana-vice to suck away the fumes.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:21 am

??????? wrote:like anything else it probably depends on the level of exposure. If you are sucking down solder fumes 8 hours a day for 40 years plus overtime, I bet it would jack you up pretty good. But putting together a preamp kit or re-capping a channel here or there is probably not going to affect your health too much. But I'm no doctor. :D
Did this for 4 streight years in the '80s. Sorta worries me now. Mostly repair work, so I don't think it was as bad as some of the assembly jobs. I dont want to sound like an old timer, but this was back before companies really knew/cared about what this stuff would do to you.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

airloom
gettin' sounds

Post by airloom » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:28 am

Some solders contain formaldehyde.
Sucking that shit in any quantity is no good for you.
I love you.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:42 am

airloom wrote:Some solders contain formaldehyde.
Sucking that shit in any quantity is no good for you.
Yep so does lots of building materials, and rember those gel looking air fresheners they sold in the '70 and '80s? They were in a Christmas tree shaped plastic container. I guess they had so much formaldehyde in them that they just killed your Old Factory nerve. To hell with freshing the room, well make their whole world smell better!!

Who knows maybe an urban legend, so take it with a grain of salt....
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

airloom
gettin' sounds

Post by airloom » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:08 am

Yeah, but the thing is that formaldehyde needs to be avoided at all costs. They're phasing out using formaldehyde in all sorts of processes especially building materials, I even think they're trying to use other things in embalming. The problem is that there are cases where there is no appropriate alternative.
I've got burns on my hand from the shit, and it's no good.
It's a very nasty chemical.
It doesn't hurt to not breathe the shit in.
I love you.

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:06 am

I once had a job hand-building computer motherboards, soldering for 8 - 10 hours a day. The flux in the solder is not good for you - - I found my sinuses starting to bleed regularly after a few months. I ended up grabbing a muffin fan (like those used in computers) to blow the fumes away from my face. I still do a lot of soldering at work, but mostly under a microscope now - the quantities and involved are much less.

Also, like another post mentioned, never ever eat after handling solder without washing your hands - - the lead in the solder will accumulate in your body over time & eventually give you symptoms like liver & kidney failure.

Another hazard is using thermal strippers - - quite a few types of insulation give off toxic fumes when hot.
________
BRUNETTE ITALIAN
Last edited by philbo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:05 am

you can build a diy solder fume extractor by using a 120mm pc fan wired to a dc wall wart. then it needs a filter (carbon filter i think, IIRC the guide i saw used a weller brand one) over the fan and you're ready to go.

i saw a diy guide for this but i cant seem to find it now.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:15 am

runrunrun wrote:you can build a diy solder fume extractor by using a 120mm pc fan wired to a dc wall wart. then it needs a filter (carbon filter i think, IIRC the guide i saw used a weller brand one) over the fan and you're ready to go.

i saw a diy guide for this but i cant seem to find it now.
I paid way too much for my plastic fume extractor. On the other hand the replacement filters aren't crazy expensive and muffin fans are cheap. That's what I'll do next time around.

rjd2
steve albini likes it

Post by rjd2 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:44 am

i get worried about this shit too. there is one thing that will make us all feel like we've got it "not so bad".

read the new national geographic's article about what the ppl in 3rd world countries deal with in recycling old computer parts. its rough. we could have it alot worse than sucking on some solder fumes now and then.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:50 am

rjd2 wrote:i get worried about this shit too. there is one thing that will make us all feel like we've got it "not so bad".

read the new national geographic's article about what the ppl in 3rd world countries deal with in recycling old computer parts. its rough. we could have it alot worse than sucking on some solder fumes now and then.
True, how about the areas in India where they recycle ships? Run them aground then break them up by hand. Just google in images: india ship Alang

Also, check this out:
http://kengkai.blogspot.com/2007/10/pho ... -2007.html