I need a transformer (source) for Re-Amp box....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gibsonripper
audio school graduate

I need a transformer (source) for Re-Amp box....

Post by gibsonripper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:26 am

I'm going to build my own re-amp box. It's actually very easy and will only take about 2 hours...

However, the ONLY part I don't have is the TRANSFORMER.

A "D.I." transformer doesn't necessarily work well for this particular application. here's why....

This transformer (for those of you who don't know) has 4 jobs....

1. Matching impedance. INPUT: Low impedance ~150 to 600 ohms / OUTPUT: High impedance ~100k to 150k ohms

2. Matching level (accomplished by the turns ratio of primary to secondary windings). This is typically a +4dBU imput (professional audio level from mixer or pre-amp) and an "instrument" level output (this is usually the same level as a guitar or bass output: ~ -20 to -40dBU)

3. Converting balanced signal(s) to unbalanced signal(s): (even though you can do this with active electronics, it is accomplished by the transformer as well--in this case).

4. Electrically isolating (while magnetically coupling) the input and output signals to and from the Re-amp box (just like a D.I.) for preventing ground loops.

So if anyone has any ideas where to get a transformer that would do this, I would much appreciate any suggestions. I don't want to bother Radial or Re-Amp. They are likely to turn me away anyhow, due to proprietary parts source(s) and to prevent copyright infringement.

I'm looking to build just a few for myself.

Thanks~

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:23 pm

There's a specific "reamp" transformer at the Jensen site with a schemo.
Pricey, though - Once you know the specs...

Kindly Killer
gettin' sounds

Post by Kindly Killer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:58 pm

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=31762

This project used Edcore WSM 10k 150 (about $10 + shipping)

I'm happy with a normal passive DI. The impedance is right on a normal DI and it's just as easy to get the right level at the audio interface.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:23 am

I build the reamp box above with the Edcore transformer. I think the tranny sounds very good and for the money I can't complain. I think the Jensen is like $70 and I'm sure it sounds great too.
:roll:
Tom