Good Ribbon Mic Pre

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

palinilap
buyin' gear

Good Ribbon Mic Pre

Post by palinilap » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:32 am

My 12ay7 doesn't seem to like the Fathead too much, so I'm curious about affordable pres that compliment ribbons well. I'm considering some older altec pres like the 1588, but would love some suggestions. Thanks.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:39 am

What are you going to record? Loud half stacks or soft Vox?

I have used ribbons with my 1588C preamps on pretty loud guitars. The 1588C alone dont provide quite enough gain for low level sources, but if it is still in a mixer and has one more stage it should be fine.

I have lots of posts about the 1588C around here, adding a gain control really brings out the best in these. Most mixers have them wired for full gain or an option for -10db. Being able to adjust it really makes them flexable. I love them on drums, especialy the snare if you take the gain down about 20 db.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:50 am

RodC wrote:What are you going to record? Loud half stacks or soft Vox?

I have used ribbons with my 1588C preamps on pretty loud guitars. The 1588C alone dont provide quite enough gain for low level sources, but if it is still in a mixer and has one more stage it should be fine.

I have lots of posts about the 1588C around here, adding a gain control really brings out the best in these. Most mixers have them wired for full gain or an option for -10db. Being able to adjust it really makes them flexable. I love them on drums, especialy the snare if you take the gain down about 20 db.
Mostly on electric guitar, but have also dug a pair as OHs on drums in Glynn Johns configuration. But, for low level sources my Soundcraft Spirit Studio can add another gain stage.

Curious about the differences between 1588A, B & C....

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:03 am

palinilap wrote: Curious about the differences between 1588A, B & C....
I dont know much about the 1588A. The B seems to be the more popluar. It is an older design than the C. It has a smaller transformer and a different circuit. There are a few mods to these to increase the gain.

I prefer the C, I have seen 2 different models. They both sound very similar, but one has electrolytic caps.

Here is a thread I did a while back with some inard pics:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=46949

Or on my website:
http://beyondsanityproductions.com/inde ... &Itemid=28

Maybe someone else can fill you in on the A and B models. There are schematics for the B floating around.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:47 am

On rhe "affordable" bedio tip, my Studio Projects VTB1 sounds cool with my NOS R2 (which looks suspiciously the same as the un-modded Shinybox).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:32 am

Another affordable that I use a lot is the old joe meek vc3q, the little green box. Don't know about the new one though, haven't seen one. that meek can be downright colorful on it's own, with a ribbon it's a nice little combo. Plenty of gain, and it also has a comp in it that can be wonderful or way too much...
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

mphonic
pluggin' in mics

Post by mphonic » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:44 pm

aea "the ribbon pre". is that in your affordable range? two channels for around $800-$900? really clean gain and high input impedance just right for most ribbons.

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:37 am

second for the Joe Meek

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:02 pm

The Grace Design Model 101 is available in a "high gain" 70dB version and offers very low noise and clean gain which would to my ear can make it match well with ribbons. AEA's Ribbon Pre also does the job very nicely.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Ha!

I have the Meek, also, and it's my favorite vocal pre; I love the opto-compressor for use and sound, and the EQ is also helpful.

But they don't make it anymore, as the VC3Q. anyway.

The VTB1 has a starved-tube, which is surprisingly useful as a color thing, and a Polarity Reverse switch which is lovely for stereo recording, and a 70Hz HPF, also useful; I especially like the line-in switch and front line jack.

VTB1 middle left, VC3Q middle right.

That's an ART TPS2 on the bottom; OK for bass and guitars, but kind of smeary, especially with the starved tube engaged.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ned
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ned » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:26 am

bellari makes a small pre called the MP105 that runs around $100 (you can get it at MF). never used one, but it has 75db of gain, which should be enough to get a good level out of a ribbon and i do believe the tube runs at full voltage (there is an IC in the output stage).

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:38 am

I also endorse the VTB1 as an inexpensive preamp for ribbon mics, though I have not used it myself. I have a friend who runs and old RCA ribbon through it and bought it for the extra gain. It works very very well and he gets great results. I was surprised when I found out what he was using when he played me his bands' new record, but it's all over the place and stacks up well. Check out the Blank Pages "On My Street" for examples. http://www.blankpagespop.com/

I personally recommend the Sytek MPX-4Aii to anyone who needs a great souunding clean preamp with a ton of gain. There is one for sale over at B/S/T for $700 right now.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:00 pm

ned wrote:bellari makes a small pre called the MP105 that runs around $100 (you can get it at MF). never used one, but it has 75db of gain, which should be enough to get a good level out of a ribbon and i do believe the tube runs at full voltage (there is an IC in the output stage).
I've got 2 of those, but I've never tried them with a ribbon. the pots in mine are nasty as hell, need to be replaced. Sort of a gritty sounding pre.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:40 pm

FMR Audio RNP can work as well. 66dB gain.

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:06 pm

the ART MPA gold has 75 db gain, is quiet, sounds good, and is cheap. Got enough juice on quiet sources. you can drive the signal with a compressor if you use it as a line amp

i just got a joemeek vc3 and I'm excited to use it, got it for 85 on craigslist and I haven't even plugged it in yet. in fact, I'm gonna go do that now!