hey so what kind of tambourines do you like to use?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

hey so what kind of tambourines do you like to use?

Post by versuviusx » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:43 am

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:58 am

I have a tunable wood one with the head ripped off..sounds nice..

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:28 am

I think most of the time I like a tamb without a head in the studio. I like a decent , 'bean shaped' plastic one with a handle, like a LP or Rhythm Tech.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:10 pm

There is one tambourine that I have played that has brass jingles that are sort of diveted and it is amazingly warm sounding, but loud as hell. I thought it was a Rhythm Tech, but I don't see it on their website. My LP Cyclops thing sucks IMHO and so does my rhythm tech with the nickel jingles. I have a Rhythm Tech with brass jingles that is pretty okay, but does not even come close to the one with the hammered/diveted jingles.

A friend of mine just made a record though and I remarked at how awesome the tambourine sounded and I asked him what kind of tambo it was and he said that he couldn't remember, but he knew that it was recorded with a U47 over a console of Neve pres onto a Studer (I think...) 2" machine. I know it's all about the instrument, but sometimes....

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:51 pm

Moroccan brass jingles, no skin. I like tambo's like I like my men and women: dark and trashy. ;) I dont even know what that means. :roll: :lol:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:42 pm

Tunable tambourines are heavy and hard to weild, especially for the novice. The moon shaped RT and immitators work fine. No one seems to make good sounding jingles unless you pay a premium. I just scored a kinda heavy and big (12' maybe) double with great jingles. I'm going to get 2 smaller tambourines, one headed and one headless, and swap out the jingles from the bigger one.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:54 pm

I have about eight different tambourines and they all get used at one point or another. Tambourines are sort of like cymbals-- there really aren't any truly unusable ones.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC[/u]

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:54 pm

I like the ones that can be played all the jingle-jangle mornin long. Ones that, when I'm not sleepy, and have no place to go, make me want to....follow...
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:27 pm

I'm of the opinion that almost any song can be improved by adding a tambourine at some point. Kind of stupid theory. I always am tempted though.. I like the very cheaply made ones by LP percussion or that you can find at a thrift shop.

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:51 pm

asmara wrote:I'm of the opinion that almost any song can be improved by adding a tambourine at some point. Kind of stupid theory. I always am tempted though.. I like the very cheaply made ones by LP percussion or that you can find at a thrift shop.
this is an opinion I also share. I saw some tambos recently with the brass jingles I am curious to see how they record compared to the cheapy ones I have.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:09 pm

asmara wrote:I'm of the opinion that almost any song can be improved by adding a tambourine at some point. Kind of stupid theory. I always am tempted though.. I like the very cheaply made ones by LP percussion or that you can find at a thrift shop.
Totally agree.

Listen to the tamb in U2's With Or Without You. It's perfection.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:36 am

junomat wrote: Totally agree.

Listen to the tamb in U2's With Or Without You. It's perfection.

And Where the Streets Have No Name. That is a killer tambourine sound! It sounds like a crappy piece of plastic, but it works oh so well.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Earlier this week, I got a little excited with one of mine:

Listen close to hear it self-destruct at the end, here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:32 pm

You can often find tambourines ar garage sales, flea markets and church rummage sales for a few bucks. We have a box with a dozen tambourines and just find the one that fits in with the track. Some are "pro" models and some are just toys. Sometimes the cheap trashy ones sound perfect.

Same thing with maracas. People buy them at island resort gift shops as vacation mementos. Very common cheapo garage sale item. Good to have many varities on hand.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:16 am

John Noll wrote:Same thing with maracas. People buy them at island resort gift shops as vacation mementos. Very common cheapo garage sale item. Good to have many varities on hand.
indeed, i've scored a number of pretty neat and varied maracas this way (mostly estate sales).
vvv wrote:Earlier this week, I got a little excited with one of mine:
i like the looks of that Tele!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca