If you had $100 to get yourself a Xmas gift...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

If you had $100 to get yourself a Xmas gift...

Post by CraigS63 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:56 am

(okay, it's really for me, and not you, but you get the idea).

I have a $100 bill from Xmas burning a hole in my wallet, throw me some ideas for a musical instrument / toy / noisemaker that I can buy myself for hours of fun.

I want to limit this to something a) tangible (i.e. not just software, or upgrading a CPU) , b) permanent (not just getting 600 packets of Ramen noodles or a really good bottle of rum), c) musical (I play guitar, bass, uke, lap steel, a very small amount of keyboards), d) one item (i.e. not 30 packs of guitar strings), e) fun vs. practical.

I have an assortment of mini-amps and stompboxes, and the herd of guitars may or may not already be near its limit.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Re: If you had $100 to get yourself a Xmas gift...

Post by lionaudio » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:00 am

CraigS63 wrote:(okay, it's really for me, and not you, but you get the idea).

I have a $100 bill from Xmas burning a hole in my wallet, throw me some ideas for a musical instrument / toy / noisemaker that I can buy myself for hours of fun.

I want to limit this to something a) tangible (i.e. not just software, or upgrading a CPU) , b) permanent (not just getting 600 packets of Ramen noodles or a really good bottle of rum), c) musical (I play guitar, bass, uke, lap steel, a very small amount of keyboards), d) one item (i.e. not 30 packs of guitar strings), e) fun vs. practical.

I have an assortment of mini-amps and stompboxes, and the herd of guitars may or may not already be near its limit.
I just spent 70 bucks on a very comfortable chair yesterday for my studio.. and my back is so happy it could cry.. maybe a chair?

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:05 am

A good set of harmonicas in the most relevant keys (depending on the keys you like to play). Hohner Golden Melody's are pretty good.
CraigS63 wrote:(okay, it's really for me, and not you, but you get the idea).

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:08 am

A really decent pair of headphones.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:37 am

ebow
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

markitzero
pushin' record

Post by markitzero » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:28 am

+1 on the chair.

Never underestimate the value of a good chair.

Also +1 on the headphones. I like to have a whole bunch of headphones lying around, since different ones give me different "views" on the material. Also it's good to be able to swap out a musicians headphones if they can't get comfortable with their headphone mix on a one pair of cans.

There are also a number of mics around $100 worth picking up. I got a $100 Guitar Center gift card last year and blew it on an Audix I5.... good decision.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:47 am

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:54 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:ebow
ebows are good fun (i love mine) but not really something you lean on heavily unless you plan on joining a Big Country tribute band.

i'd say find an unusual yet interesting and useful dynamic mic...or the decent phones, if you don't have them already.

myself, i'd probably get something like a used pedal or two (probably a fuzz or another Boss DD-3 delay pedal).

actually, what are your needs and wants that would fit the $100 price point?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:20 pm

Funny enough, the local Chicago TV had Collective Soul on for NY, and they used the ebow on a couple of tunes.

I like it for my Bauhaus-type stuff. :oops:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:21 pm

That new EH pedal, The Holy Stain....With an expression pedal....Rocks...and its FUN!!! +1 on the EBow, too...But the Holy Stain is more fun...

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Melodica.

Bear
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:33 pm

This is not going to be a popular response, and I am definitely guilty of G.A.S., but I'm learning patience.

Aside from asking you what you need as opposed to what you want, here is some good financial advice. Put that $100 in the bank. Seriously. Now, every time you get a $5 bill in your hand/wallet or as change, place it in a jar. When you have ten $5 bills, place them in the bank. Now you have $150, which is collecting interest. Ok, so, you've just set up a savings fund. I use ING because I can't easily get it out via checkcard, paypal, etc, and I have collected over $110 in interest since June.

Now think of a kick-ass piece of gear that you really could use, and realize that you have no idea how many $5 will pass through your hands enabling you to finally afford it without breaking your bank in a few months.

I've managed to finally save a decent amount of money this past year, and the $5 is responsible for about $1500 of it since last June. Seriously. after I pay off some debts I am going to use this strategy to purchase a shiny new Mac Book Pro.

Or, you could pick up an ebow. I like mine a lot. Or a new tuner. How about a DIY project? Room treatment? Bag o' weed? 12 bottles of Chimay?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:23 pm

Bongo's cool.
CraigS63 wrote: a very small amount of keyboards
Or a used synth. This is cheap season on e-bay. Something that lets you make your own sounds.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:01 am

Got one of these:http://www.lovesac.com/item.asp?PID=250 at a yardsale for $40.

I guess that's really niether here nor there.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...