Philosophical question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Philosophical question

Post by gotpop » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:12 pm

I've been working on my first CD for a long time. I've had the opportunity to record parts of it at a nice studio (two songs).

Here's my dilemma: I could either wait until I had the money to record the rest of my songs at a proper studio, although realistically this will probably mean another two to three years until completion. Conversely, I could record the rest of this at home (not nearly as well) and actually have this thing finished in a few months.

I'm actually really torn about this, since ultimately I want to be a professional recording engineer, but I know my skills aren't up to that level yet. On the other hand, I've gotten some nice complements about the music itself, and would like it to have a chance to find an audience.

Any thoughts?

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:53 pm

do it all yourself-

then in time
write another record-

evolve at both recording and songwriting over the years and learn to write and record exactly what you want to hear...!

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Heck yeah..... Always keep moving artistically, all the other stuff is 2nd.
Everything louder than everything else.

vier-personen
gettin' sounds

Post by vier-personen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:43 pm

jonathan wrote:do it all yourself-

then in time
write another record-

evolve at both recording and songwriting over the years and learn to write and record exactly what you want to hear...!
an internet forum. vier-personen listens to jonathan:

vier-personen: "yes!" (nodding)

drop curtain.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:50 pm

Or do some of it at home and some of it at the studio. For instance, you could work on it at home, overdubbing, etc. and then have someone with more experience mix it at a proper studio. That way, you have the benefit of someone with some experience making sure that your record translates the way you want it to in a room with good design and good gear. It could be a great learning experience for you... moreso than if you did the whole thing yourself. Of course, the important thing is making sure that you find someone whose work you really like and get along with to work on it. That's about a million times more important than just doing it at some awesome studio with the wrong person.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:07 am

I agree with Chris. If you are able to sketch the whole album out recording it yourself you might be able to figure out which parts need the studio and which parts you can do on your own. If you are using a DAW you could record the whole thing yourself and then figure out which parts need to be "upgraded."

I have seen people do this before, and helped some people with the parts that needed the upgrading, and some people with the parts that needed to be sketched out.

But to be perfectly honest, the best sounding albums I have heard have been done inexpensively by pulling a band together, practicing a lot, and then going into the studio and recording the songs live. If you practice a lot, record your practices and listen to the recordings and work the songs out fully (parts and sounds), you can usually nail the song in one take. If you make all your decisions before going into the studio, you can get a lot of work done in a very short amount of time.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:42 am

Here is one option that has worked for me on two records and for a few of the people I've recorded in regards to financing:

If you are making a record, you should already know that there is a section of people who are already interested in buying the record--you should have some serious confidence that you will be able to to recoup some costs even in this crazy world of illegal downloading. Sit down and figure out a worst case scenario of how many CDs you think you can sell in the first six months, multiply that number by $5 (or something conservative considering how many CDs you will to give away and also the fact that most internet vendors that I know of pay about $5 per disc). For my first two discs I was able to find friends and family members to help me cover costs. It took me a year to break even on the first one, but I broke even on the second one at the CD release party though (I spent about half on that record though).

Some people get squeemish about mixing friendship/family and business and that is fair, but if you've got some good music that is worth recording then there should be some people around who are excited about it too.

I really like Chris's hybrid suggestion and wish I'd done that earlier on. Best of both options. Having someone else mix your tracks is like getting a report card.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:59 am

bannerj wrote:Having someone else mix your tracks is like getting a report card.
As someone who is currently both mixing a project tracked by someone else and having something I tracked mixed by one of my favorite engineers, I really like this analogy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:42 pm

if you feel like you're on a creative roll, the important thing is keeping the momentum. if that means mostly tracking at home and mixing in a studio, fine. if you put this on hold, well, things change sometimes and who knows- you might not be in the same space creatively in a few years.

i play guitar with a singer/songwriter who decided to sink a ton of his money and time into recording (we're talking a full length album, 4 singles with several b-sides each, a promo cd, and bass and drum tracks for a follow up album!) and it's just simply been dragging on for years now. the talented supporting cast of musicians he had at first has dwindled. i think the continuity between songs has suffered since they span such a long period. plus he didn't want to play gigs without a real album to promote, which is limiting your growth as a musician and performer. so much wasted opportunity to play!

so i've seen the side of things where a promising musical endeavor has been dragged out to death. strike while the iron is hot.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:58 am

bannerj wrote:you should have some serious confidence that you will be able to to recoup some costs even in this crazy world of illegal downloading.
IMO it's when people aren't even downloading your tracks that you're in serious shit.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York