SM7B vs. RE20

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

SM7B vs. RE20

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:04 am

I want one of these mics for vocals, mostly male rock stuff. For live recordings and the studio. Also for guitar amps and whatever else I can throw at it. Which one should I get? Which do you prefer? Thanks!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Re: SM7B vs. RE20

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:18 am

chuckfurok wrote:I want one of these mics for vocals, mostly male rock stuff. For live recordings and the studio. Also for guitar amps and whatever else I can throw at it. Which one should I get? Which do you prefer? Thanks!
Vocals and guitar amp? I'd vote for the SM7... and I love me some RE-20.

As always, there are vocalists that will sound better on an RE-20 than the SM7, and vice-versa. However, the SM7 is more of a "stick it anywhere" mic. If you have a slim cabinet, it's a great choice.

RE-20? Great on Floor Tom, Bass Amp, some vocalists, and for certain types of kick sounds.

Choose based on what you need. "All Around", or "Application Specific"
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:52 am

i just love that RE20...

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:00 pm

I own an SM7b. Be warned it does require more gain from the pre-amp than your average mic. I have never used a RE-20 but I do like the SM7b as a snare mic. I tried on my voice but my voice is weak and I have to turn the gain to far to be a reasonable vocal mic. Good Luck. - by the way I bought the Sm7b because Jeff Tweedy used it to record vocals for YHF. I have since learned my voice ain't no Jeff Tweedy voice.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:00 pm

I own a couple of each, and use 'em both quite a bit...

The SM7 would be close to the top of my "must-have" mic list....

So-ooo useful on so many things, and it's sometimes the only mic that will work on certain vocalists...

It's very ribbon-esque, and rejects well, so it's great in a live recording situation....

An SM7 will do just about anything an RE20 will do, but an RE20 won't do a lot of what an SM7 can do..... :wink:
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:17 pm

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... sm7b++re20

That thread is from 2005. There were a few before that, and a few after. This is one of the most classic recurring threads on the TOMB. The only ones that happen more often are the "best X for X dollars?" type threads.

That being said:

I have both. I have had both for a zillion years. I wil go months, even a year where I dont use the RE20, but when I need it, nothing else quite does what it does. The rest of the time, the SM7 gets used a lot.
I wouldnt sell either, but if I didnt have them I woul probably just get an SM7 and get on with the recording.

Enjoy!

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Thanks for the link Joel. I was leaning towards the sm7 and this cinches it. Too bad my musician's friend coupon for 20% does not apply to shure. bastards!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Consider Heil mics too. PR40, PR30. http://heilsound.com

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:15 pm

kayagum wrote:Consider Heil mics too. PR40, PR30. http://heilsound.com
ok it looks like it might be a PR-40! A little cheaper and I can use my musician's friend coupon. I like the idea of getting something different. All though I still want an SM7.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:06 pm

chuckfurok wrote:
kayagum wrote:Consider Heil mics too. PR40, PR30. http://heilsound.com
ok it looks like it might be a PR-40! A little cheaper and I can use my musician's friend coupon. I like the idea of getting something different. All though I still want an SM7.
yeah man, i've got an re-20 and it gets used pretty much every time i track a full band (bass, vox, fl tom, sometimes kick,etc.)... but still still have the sm7 on the want list.. that and a some beyer 88's and i'd be cool on the dynamic side of microphones.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:52 am

if you want an sm7 just buy one, you certainly won't regret it. get one used if cost is the deciding factor!

big dynamics are fantastic. they are pretty much all good. :) i have a beyer m88, m99, and an sm7 that get used on every session, although i have about 30 mics now. (although my m88 is actually broken right now.. gotta get on that)
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 am

Have you looked at an RE27? I've got one, and I love it for male vocals. It's very similar to an RE20, except it's shiny, it's neodymium, and at default it's a little brighter than an RE20. It also has a gentle high shelf cut which is intended to emulate the original. I think EV marketed it as a replacement for the RE20, but radio DJs didn't see the point in switching so it didn't go that far.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:16 am

I ordered a Heil PR40 this morning. I'm sure I will get an SM7 down the road. Pretty excited about PR40. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:50 pm

I've been using an SM7b for vocals and electric guitar for a couple years and I definitely recommend it. It does require a little extra kick, as said previously. Great for loud vocalists and screamers though. I've found myself going to it for guitar, snare and even bass along with a DI when using a more high gain tone. I picked mine up used for a very reasonable price and it's been a workhorse.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:47 pm

When you do get that SM7, make sure you get a preamp that has enough gain to deal with it (e.g. forget the 12AY7).

Your PR40 should have no problem. Enjoy- it's a fun mic!