Digital music lingo in a producer's agreement?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Digital music lingo in a producer's agreement?

Post by Tragabigzanda » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:43 am

So I've got a simple-yet-legit producer/artist contract that I'm going to start working with, but it's a little outdated. Could anybody share any clauses/lingo for DEMD (itunes, etc) royalties? Big thanks...
Alex C. McKenzie

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:36 am

Depending on what you've got, if it mentions other mediums (CD's, DVD's, etc.) you could just add "electronic transmission" to that list and probably be in the ballpark. Really depends on what you've got though, esp. if it talks about mechanicals and all that mess.

May also be something simple online somewhere. Personally, I had a lawyer draw up a generic agreement for use of songs on soundtracks for indie films. I'm sure you're trying to avoid that, but it was money well spent, considering it's something I can use in perpetuity (pun intended) and I only had to pay once...
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:17 pm

I posted two general agreements a while back that you can find in a thread somewhere here. One was simple, the other more complex with future royalties and points taken in to account. Phrasing was all pretty standard. Use the search feature here.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:43 pm

two phrases come to mind that i always enjoy seeing on a contract: "any and all playback and distribution systems now in existence or yet to be invented" and "throughout the known universe."

...or something like that. :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:28 am

dwlb wrote:two phrases come to mind that i always enjoy seeing on a contract: "any and all playback and distribution systems now in existence or yet to be invented" and "throughout the known universe."
I also enjoy "throughout the known universe." It's only one step removed from "across all space and time."

That should cover it.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:01 am

This is all making me laugh, but, uh, are you guys serious? Can I really say "...yet to be invented" in a contract, or are you just bullshitting me?
Alex C. McKenzie

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:10 pm

I have sitting before me a contract that says:

I hereby acknowledge that the Work shall, from the inception of it's creation, be considered a "work made for hire" for Artist or Artist's dsignee within the meaning of Copyright Act of 1976, and shall be entirely Artist's or Artist's designee's property in perpetuity throughout the universe..."

That is, like, some Old Testament shit.