art vla bulb replacement

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kmacbeatle
ass engineer

art vla bulb replacement

Post by kmacbeatle » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:41 pm

I just bought an ART VLA that has a burned out VU meter bulb. Has anyone here replaced one before? If so, is it easy? where can i buy the bulb? what kind of bulb is it?

thanks!
Kyle

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: art vla bulb replacement

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:19 pm

kmacbeatle wrote:I just bought an ART VLA that has a burned out VU meter bulb. Has anyone here replaced one before? If so, is it easy? where can i buy the bulb? what kind of bulb is it?

thanks!
Kyle
You could get an LED replacement kit from purple audio that would never burn out. I have a few of them installed in some unlikely places... like in Spectra sonics compressors and mcmartin limiters...I also had one in my old 1176 that I sold. We now have a Purple MC77 and it has that nice orangey glow to it right from the "factory."

[factory meaning ed anderson put it together, I am sure, by hand, as with all their products: assembled by great peole, with care]

kmacbeatle
ass engineer

Post by kmacbeatle » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:08 pm

cool thanks, where can you buy it? can't find it on the purple audio website.

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:36 am

i've got the same problem. actually have the bulb in my pocket right now, been trying to find the same one for sale all day. it's a weird shape, with contacts on either side and writing that i can't quite make sense of ... at least for identifying off the web. any help would be much appreciated.
Bipolar Production

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:02 am

kmacbeatle wrote:cool thanks, where can you buy it? can't find it on the purple audio website.
http://www.purpleaudio.com/Product/LEDPCB.html

kmacbeatle
ass engineer

Post by kmacbeatle » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:47 am

thanks, Joel!

for those who have this problem as well but don't want to pay for the purple audio replacement, I just called ART and they said they would send me some for free-- even though i didn't have the warranty!

i did it calling this number: (716) 297-2920

good luck!

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:16 pm

I bought a used VLA a couple months back (only $100) and one of the VU bulbs was out. I emailed ART/Yorkville's customer service, told them it was a used piece and that I was looking to purchase replacements. Just in case, I added my shipping info discreetly at the bottom when I signed off. Next day I got an email back saying that a replacement was already in the mail.

A package with 2 bulbs showed up within 2 days. Even though I still haven't put 'em in, I thought that was some great customer service.

The exact same thing happened when a footswitch went out on my Visual Sound Route 66 pedal. 1 switch went out, 2 were sent to me in a couple days free of charge.

It's always worth it to try the company. You just can't bet on it always going that way with some companies.

-AE

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:21 pm

kmacbeatle wrote:thanks, Joel!

for those who have this problem as well but don't want to pay for the purple audio replacement, I just called ART and they said they would send me some for free-- even though i didn't have the warranty!

i did it calling this number: (716) 297-2920

good luck!
thanks for the number. i just called yorkville and surprise! no waiting on hold! 2 sentences later, i have free parts in the mail. wow that was easy.
Bipolar Production