Beingbing
alignin' 24-trk

Bing Carbon Microphone

Post by Beingbing » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:05 am

Phantom powered with balanced output. http://www.myspace.com/carbonmicrophone

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:41 pm

I made something like that many years ago. Though, my version wasn't as pretty. All I did was take an old phone receiver, open it up, and splice the wires from the mic into a chord from an old set of headphones. There may have been a 9v battery involved, I don't remember. I used a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, and presto! Instant phone mic.

Beingbing
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beingbing » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:54 pm

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote:I made something like that many years ago. Though, my version wasn't as pretty. All I did was take an old phone receiver, open it up, and splice the wires from the mic into a chord from an old set of headphones. There may have been a 9v battery involved, I don't remember. I used a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, and presto! Instant phone mic.
Yes, very cool.

I've tried to design something thats really easy and practical to use in the studio, thus the phantom power and balanced output. no batteries to fuss with and a mic stand mount.

someone else on ebay sells them with a 9v battery taped to the outside of the phone handset...that kinda bothers me.

Oldschoolwax
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Oldschoolwax » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Now I know exactly what I'm going to do with my 1972 stick style phone, it'll look perfect on a mic stand! Hmmm.. if I put a headphone driver into the hand held ear piece it would be great for one ear monitoring too, hang it up and it cuts off! This could be fun! :D
~Michael

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~Albert Einstein

Oldschoolwax
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Oldschoolwax » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Oh, BTW, Those things look really cool!

One of these switches would make those look real dangerous! :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-ELECTRICAL- ... dZViewItem
~Michael

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~Albert Einstein

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:23 pm

Beingbing wrote:I've tried to design something thats really easy and practical to use in the studio, thus the phantom power and balanced output. no batteries to fuss with and a mic stand mount.
Yes, I like the way yours is so clean, though you still kept the bit that reminds you of where it came from. I think I will have to add this to my projects list. I think my band mate would totally exploit it for his vocals.
someone else on ebay sells them with a 9v battery taped to the outside of the phone handset...that kinda bothers me.
I think that's what I did as well. hahah... though I may have used an ace bandage.

maxadocious
alignin' 24-trk

I gotta say

Post by maxadocious » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Pretty badasss. Reminds me much of CB radio

10-4 good buddy

Beingbing
alignin' 24-trk

Re: I gotta say

Post by Beingbing » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:45 pm

maxadocious wrote:Pretty badasss. Reminds me much of CB radio

10-4 good buddy

fits in your hand nicely, like a CB mic. tried with a momentary switch on the side, but when you engage and disengage the switch you get a nice loud POP in the mixer...maybe there's some way to get rid of that jolt when you turn it on. will have to research...

widdly
audio school graduate

Post by widdly » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:20 am

Any chance you could post a schematic? I've got some old telephones in the attic.

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:26 am

Hi all, just a quick one to say that I bought a mic from Bing. I'm in the UK, and I bought a new model mic from him (Black body, white mouthpiece, phantom powered/transformer balanced). It's neat looking and well built, and sounds, well, distorted. i got mine with a spare mic element (it's a different model to the other one). I can swap them in seconds - just unscrew the mouthpiece and drop it in. Definitely recommended. I did some test recording last night with my Altec 1589b w/1588C can, and it sounded good. I'm working on a little test cover version, gonna use it on vocal and some other stuff - i'll post it when it's done.

I'm not affiliated with Bing, just thought i'd come on and say that he's good to deal with and the mic is cool and vibey.

take it easy yallz,

Cheers,

Paul Fury 161
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:24 am

Hi all,

I just recorded a quick cover version at home last night. It was just for grins, I used it as an opportunity to try out some gear that i've acquired lately. I used Bing's carbon mike for the vocals.

The track is a cover os David Bowie's "Lady Grinning Soul".

You can download it here;

http://rapidshare.com/files/87259038/La ... l.mp3.html

Vega 6 string acoustic guitar; AKG C451EB w/CK-2 omni cap
Flambeau 12 string acoustic guitar; AKG C451EB w/CK-2 omni cap
Tambourine; Stedman N90
Vibraslap; Stedman N90
Shaker; Stedman N90
Danelectro Electric Guitar; Beyer M160

The dano was played through an Ibanez TS-9 reissue, and an Arion SAD-1
analog delay into a WEM Power Musette amp.

All the mics used the same preamp; an Altec 1589b with a 1588C preamp can.

It was recorded via a behringer AD8000 for AD into a Digi 001/PTLE 6.4cs9.

I used the Massey compressor, the digi EQIII and the Massey Limiter on the master bus. The reverb is IR-1 with a CSKDE plate impulse.I then did a quick and dirty master in Soundforge.

the track has quite a long outro, i'm gonna stick some more overdubs on, and probably make it fade out sooner, but for the purposes of hearing the Bing mic in a track, I think it's ok. There are a few clams in there, but hopefully nothing too offensive (not my best vocal performance, anyway!)

Hope this is of interest - I like the Bing mic, it works well and definitely has a vibe. I used lots of tapeop approved gear;-p

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Paul Fury 161
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:31 am

No comments anyone? Guess I really suck ;-p
Oh well, never mind ;-p

cheers,

Paul

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:51 am

Paul Fury 161 wrote:No comments anyone? Guess I really suck ;-p
Oh well, never mind ;-p

cheers,

Paul
I love it!!
I'm going to make one.

See this thread on PSW:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.p ... msg_281194

willowhaus
takin' a dinner break

Post by willowhaus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:51 am

Very interesting sound! Sounds a little different to me than simply running it thru a lo-fi plugin - nice, ethereal effect.

Of course, I'm not saying that you don't suck... :wink: :lol:

(j/k!)

Beingbing
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beingbing » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:35 pm

thanks paul!