Bizzar Audio 'Mint Julep' 500 series mic preamp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Bizzar Audio 'Mint Julep' 500 series mic preamp

Post by matta » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Since there isn't a 'New Products' section I thought I'd throw it right on here with the rest of the gear threads :wink:

I'd like to introduce you to the first of our 500 series modules that are planed for '08 release, A partner ship between Ashton Audio and Bizzar Audio.

The Mint Julep is a high gain mic pre with a discrete front end that is electronically balanced throughout using high quality components like the Grayhill gain switch, 1% metal film resistors, Low ESR long life electrolytic caps, WIMA coupling capacitors & unique power distribution.

The pre is capable of up to 66dB's of gain in steps of 6dB's for accurate recall and also features a gentle active low cut filter at 100Hz, Polarity inversion and of course +48V phantom power. In addition we have added a metering circuit to round off the package, which was designed/built using the guidelines set out by the API VPR Alliance.

Inspired by an early British design it complements the large selection of 'coloured' 500 series mic pres by offering something that is clean, open and transparent.

All opamps are socketed and user serviceable/swappable with pin compatible chips eg TL072, NE5532, OPA2604 etc. We really like the sound of the 'classic' 5532 in this application, but a Burr Brown option will be available for the front end, for those wanting a silkier top end response.

The photos show one of the 5 prototypes that are doing the rounds with the commercial unit being set for release in within the 1st Quarter. Production units will be double sided offering better electrical and mechanical security and feature a solid, spun aluminum gain knob (not shown in the photos).

They will be available directly from us at a price that is going to set a new standard for affordablilty... though we can't confirm the final price until we have the first production run, it looks to be +- $450.00.

If you are interested you can take look at the guts here:

Mint Julep Mic Pre (Insides)

Since we are artists as much as scientists I decided to throw these clips up that I recorded with a prototype 'Green Pre' (the early stages of the Mint Julep).

It wasn't/isn't supposed to be a 'scientific test', merely a 'me strumming away on my acoustic enjoying the afternoon over a hot cuppa Earl Grey Tea' kind of thing.

One clip is the on board pre amp on a Digidesign 002R, the other 'Green Pre' Prototype... both were tracked into PT with no additional processing (EQ/Compression), though I think I may have normalized them (it was a while ago and I'm not in front of my DAW to check).

Bear in mind it was done with $200 Chinese OEM LDC... I'm sure the difference it would make with a KM84 or 'pick your favourite acoustic' mic would be even more startling.

002R ? Acoustic Guitar
Green Pre ? Acoustic Guitar

We plan to get them out to folks for further BETA testing and hope reviewers will share their thoughts as well and post a few A/B clips in time.

Regards

Matt (Ashton Audio) & Peter (Bizzar Audio)
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:16 pm

looks nice! love the name.

"laawd, this is the FINEST 500-series preamp i have EVA used!"

*snaps suspenders*
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:25 pm

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by matta » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:06 pm

looks nice! love the name.
Hey Smitty,

Thanks for the kind words.
Hi Chris,

I DIDN'T post in the BUY/SELL/TRADE section (which that link seems to be referencing) and I sure didn't sign up here to be a GEAR PIMP and while my post count is low most of them have been helping fellow Tape Opers over in the DIY section of this site answering technical questions about gear/repairs/builds as I love electronics and fostering the DIY nature of engineers.

I have been a member here since November '05 and loved hanging out... but your post really makes a guy feel unloved/unwanted, esp when you can't even take the time to post more than a link. All I was trying to do is show fellow tape opers something I'm proud of and get discussion going over in 'GEAR TALK' of an upcoming product.

I understand that that Tape Op generates income from advertising, but it also generates and income for international subscriptions ($80USD a year) and by signing up to a FREE subscription you are giving license to Tape Op to hit you, or their advertising with 'solicited' mails... which also generates income.

I'm sorry if you see me as an 'advertiser', maybe a little look into my threads and the help/explanations offered with them and the fact I've been here for over 2 years might have gone a way to giving you some background..

As a moderator it is your prerogative to do with this thread as you feel led, so if feel free to delete it if you deem it inappropriate. I just wanted to let you know how I feel.

Regards

Matt
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:01 am

Hey Matt,

No worries. It's just that not many gear manufacturers start threads here announcing their new products, so when it happens, it's sort of an attention-getter. I know this isn't "Buy/Sell/Trade," but for all intents and purposes, your post is an advertisement. Whether the thread stays or goes doesn't really matter to me, but it might matter to Larry or John, so I thought I'd make you aware of their potential feelings on the subject. I don't moderate this particular forum, which is why I posted a link to the other thread. I didn't write any additional comments because I just wanted to be sure you were aware of Larry's thoughts, not comment on whether or not I thought it was appropriate.

You might just want to check with them first to see if they're cool with this kind of thing. If they are, awesome and rock on.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by matta » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:01 am

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the follow up post. Nice to know I'm an attention getter 8)

Over up at Gearslutz (I've noticed there are many fellow slutz here) they have a section called 'New Products' section for new postings of upcoming or available products which I always find useful as and end user, maybe John/Larry could open up a similar sub forum then?

I did in no way want it to read like a unpaid advert, though it totally comes across that way and I see why your virtual eyebrow was raised.

Feel free to delete it or report it to the powers that be to mark it for deletion if need be. I'll wait till the reviews come in form impartial users and then add it to Joel's 500 series thread.

Take care

Matt

cgarges wrote:Hey Matt,

No worries. It's just that not many gear manufacturers start threads here announcing their new products, so when it happens, it's sort of an attention-getter. I know this isn't "Buy/Sell/Trade," but for all intents and purposes, your post is an advertisement. Whether the thread stays or goes doesn't really matter to me, but it might matter to Larry or John, so I thought I'd make you aware of their potential feelings on the subject. I don't moderate this particular forum, which is why I posted a link to the other thread. I didn't write any additional comments because I just wanted to be sure you were aware of Larry's thoughts, not comment on whether or not I thought it was appropriate.

You might just want to check with them first to see if they're cool with this kind of thing. If they are, awesome and rock on.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com