Tape & Consoles More Popular

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:25 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I walk everywhere. And, if I want to hear a song, I just have to remember it the best that I can. ;)
NICE!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:23 am

I see students immediately flummoxed when you start describing signal flow to them- a microphone, an external single channel preamp, software, busses, multiple interfaces and ways in (adat, line, S/PDIF, etc) to a PC or MAC.

Software is merely the recording device these days. .wav files are what we record.

It's become way more complex than it needs to be.

Who's idea to make a fader bucket that does not pass audio? Who needs it? It has faders, it should be a console! Where's the preamp? Where's the parametric eq to track through?

If you want to sell more equipment, begin with teaching basic signal flow through a 'real' console and show the user how it directly relates to the convoluted nonsense of sub-standard Pro Tools (16 inputs only? It's laughable) LE systems.

The Otari Radar makes infinite sense as a standalone recorder in this digital age.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am

@?,*???&? wrote:I see students immediately flummoxed when you start describing signal flow to them- a microphone, an external single channel preamp, software, busses, multiple interfaces and ways in (adat, line, S/PDIF, etc) to a PC or MAC.

Software is merely the recording device these days. .wav files are what we record.

It's become way more complex than it needs to be.

Who's idea to make a fader bucket that does not pass audio? Who needs it? It has faders, it should be a console! Where's the preamp? Where's the parametric eq to track through?

If you want to sell more equipment, begin with teaching basic signal flow through a 'real' console and show the user how it directly relates to the convoluted nonsense of sub-standard Pro Tools (16 inputs only? It's laughable) LE systems.

The Otari Radar makes infinite sense as a standalone recorder in this digital age.
Jeff I agree with everything you said. There's one little error though. Otari hasn't distributed the RADAR is like 5 years. The RADAR is now sold under the brand name on is designers iZ Technology.