recordpressing.com poor experiences???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bp
audio school

recordpressing.com poor experiences???

Post by bp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:34 pm

howdy vinyl friends,

i was just curious if anybody else has had as many negative experiences with recordpressing.com as I have? I'm not coming on here simply to talk scat, i would just like to know whether or not I'm alone on this one. They've messed up 12" and 7" labels on me (i always digital proof now), have messed up shipping.....and now......I've been trying to get a hold of them for 3 weeks with no responses. They've got a 1500 dollar pre-payment from me and have given me no indication that my order is under way. Have they gone out of business or something? I've screwed my deadline and I'm losing money as we speak, any insight or similar situations you've run in to? Where do I go from here? Better business bureau?

Thanks so much,
PZ

Ramaj
audio school

Re: recordpressing.com poor experiences???

Post by Ramaj » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:05 pm

pz,

You are not alone in this. I received an expensive order that came back defective and they told me that they would get back to me within a few days to resolve the issue. I've called numerous times and have been waiting for a call back since Nov 2007. This is totally unacceptable. Like you I've missed an important deadline and can't move forward until this is resolved. A lot money has been spent with these guys and I'm beginning to think that legal action is going to have to take place. Anyway, I think the BBB would be a good place to start.

R

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:03 am

The BBB are a totally impotent trade group that basically does nothing.

This message board (and others) is probably the best place to vent -- maybe they'll start to feel the pinch if enough people complain publicly.

bp
audio school

Post by bp » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 am

hey ramaj,
i do not know if you have since resolved your issue, but i found out what is up. they closed their offices for remodelling in the begining of december and simply forgot to let their customers know that their office would be closed for a month. Who shuts down for a month without letting it's customers know? There was no announcement on their web site or on their phone systems....no indication that they were closed. I got an iritated apology out of it, thats al. I guess all I can do is cast my vote elsewhere from here on out. do you have any recommendations for other pressing spots? maybe I'll save that for another post.......

All the best,
pz

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:14 am

http://www.piratespress.com/vinyl.html

These guys do a fine job -- just got a 7" back that looks and sounds excellent, and no BS.

Kicken
audio school

Post by Kicken » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 pm

I had a hard time getting ahold of them in dec as well however i did get ahold of them at one point and it was clearly explained to me that they did not indicate it on they're website by design. They explained a few things and I understood why it was difficult to get ahold of them.

First, they were remodeling due to a flood (As you can read about the actual recent rains in SF)

Second they did notify all they're existing customers, just not new ones. If you were a customer with a job in at the time you would have known.

I have always gotten great service and expect to in the future. piratespress have always been unprofessional and i believe are run by some kids that seem to be in some trouble with the feds or something.

I have to say I have had issues one time in the 3 + years I have worked with them however they fixed issues immidiately. So before talking smack about people make sure you got the details straight. It bugs me to hear so many musicians talk crap all the time. I would personaly invite Recordpressing to come on and answer to all these concerns. Anyone want to tell them to?

-just my 2 cents.

Ramaj
audio school

Re: recordpressing.com poor experiences???

Post by Ramaj » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:15 pm

They told me that they were on vacation and their phone systems were down. Still isn't a very good excuse to leave a returning customer in the dust without a update for more than a month after they said that they would get back to you within a few days.
Just like pz pointed out- they should have said something via their website and/or phone sys.

Anyway- What done is done and I don't think we're talking crap here but venting our recent experience with this company. All I can say now is that I'm finished with these guys.

R

Jailhouse
audio school

Post by Jailhouse » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Kicken wrote:I had a hard time getting ahold of them in dec as well however i did get ahold of them at one point and it was clearly explained to me that they did not indicate it on they're website by design. They explained a few things and I understood why it was difficult to get ahold of them.

First, they were remodeling due to a flood (As you can read about the actual recent rains in SF)

Second they did notify all they're existing customers, just not new ones. If you were a customer with a job in at the time you would have known.

I have always gotten great service and expect to in the future. piratespress have always been unprofessional and i believe are run by some kids that seem to be in some trouble with the feds or something.
I have to say I have had issues one time in the 3 + years I have worked with them however they fixed issues immidiately. So before talking smack about people make sure you got the details straight. It bugs me to hear so many musicians talk crap all the time. I would personaly invite Recordpressing to come on and answer to all these concerns. Anyone want to tell them to?

-just my 2 cents.
I'd hate to bring up an old discussion, but I just across this.
Where in the world, or more importantly Why in the world would you try to slander a company like that by saying "a bunch of kids in trouble with the feds"?
That is the biggest crock of crap I have ever heard of in my life.
Madonna just had her latest LP released there, as has massive amount of major labels and larger independent labels, and more importantly they treat you like a human being.
I can't help but wonder if the above poster has something to gain by downing other companies, and pushing such a crappy, hands off company such as recordpressing.
Here it is July, and they are still ripping people left and right. I don't think the "moving headquarters, or phones are down" excuse holds much weight anymore.

You should really not go on record to slander a company by accusing them of engaging in illegal activity.
Plus they are one a very very few companies that use dmm mastering, plus they will actually deliver your product! That's always a plus.
Pink Lincolns, Moral Crux, and Moral Crux:"Pop Culture Assassins out now.
Audiophile SQ. DMM 100% virgin

evengangstersreadtapeop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by evengangstersreadtapeop » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:25 pm

Everytime I get a record in the mail and I notice blatantly crummy quality control I pull out the record and see that it was pressed at Piratepress. I don't want to knock them since I've never used them, but I would stick with United, Bill Smith, or Erica for indie projects (unless you want SWIRL colors, which set a landspeed record for going from cool to cheesy). Maybe all the records I'm buying were dirt poor jobs or something.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 pm

i hope that everything's cool with recordpressing.com now, i've mastered a bunch of 7"s recently that went there, and they're also doing a record i tracked and mixed...

*hopes*

Jailhouse
audio school

Post by Jailhouse » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:47 pm

evengangstersreadtapeop wrote:Everytime I get a record in the mail and I notice blatantly crummy quality control I pull out the record and see that it was pressed at Piratepress. I don't want to knock them since I've never used them, but I would stick with United, Bill Smith, or Erica for indie projects (unless you want SWIRL colors, which set a landspeed record for going from cool to cheesy). Maybe all the records I'm buying were dirt poor jobs or something.
I have always had horrible tragic experiences with both United and Erika!

United uses recycled vinyl, and their typical weight is 120-130 and they always break the plates.

I guess it's just luck of the draw, who your rep is etc, my rep at Pirates Press is Damon, who is really awesome if your running behind on payments etc, he'll go ahead with another job and always rushes jobs for us.

But yeah, again, I guess it all depends a lot on a particular persons relationship with the companies?

Have you used URP or Erika lately?

P.S sorry to bring up that old post, I just saw that, and a couple of the Pirates dudes are friends of mine, and I found that completely slanderous.

Anyway my name is Dave, I just found this forum. Glad to be here!

Jailhouse
audio school

Post by Jailhouse » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i hope that everything's cool with recordpressing.com now, i've mastered a bunch of 7"s recently that went there, and they're also doing a record i tracked and mixed...

*hopes*
I think they are ok, just running very very behind. Wer'e having a lot of trouble getting our vinyl pressed in a timely fashion anywhere!, the whole vinyl craze thing has really overloaded all the plants.

I tried to use Musicol for the first time but they weren't accepting new clients due to the backlog.

I'm sure you'll be fine though. :)

Gold
audio school graduate

Post by Gold » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:07 pm

This is the worst time of the year to try to get a record pressed. It's important to have cool water to feed through the press to set the vinyl after it has been moulded into the record. It's hard to keep water cool this time of the year. If you can't cool the records properly you have to shut down.

Kicken
audio school

there is speculation, opinnion, and reality.....

Post by Kicken » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:54 pm

as paul said int he post above this is the worst time to get a record pressed. And the vinyl craze has caused many plants to get behind and also some to stop taking clients for the time being. I know I have been working with Recordpressing.com and find them to be completely helpful and they do take good care of me and many labels well. however they stoped taking new clients as did RTI. They are busy. This is a good sign. I know that Piratespress just raised their prices so high noboday wants to work there anymore and there are mixed reviews as to treatment and business pracitce, and they're price increases have caused alot of the plants to overload as well. The reality is that they are all busy and all of them can use a bit more customer service. I have had good and bad expiriences at most plants and know all of them well. I have my favorites and ones that I would never work with again, however you only have so many choices and if you want a record you have to understand its not a trip to wallmart. For the moment I would use RTI if they were faster than Recordpressing.com as they are both good and Recordpressing (i think they are going to start taking clients again this month) is keeping they're prices lower than Pirates and RTI. RTI is super expensive so that weighs on my decision as heavy as the quality. Im happy as a clam where Im at.

my 2 cents