New Black Lion Audio A/D Converter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TheGreeneSound
pluggin' in mics
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: San Diego California

New Black Lion Audio A/D Converter

Post by TheGreeneSound » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:05 pm

Is anybody going to order one?

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:30 am

Post by aitikin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 am

I might, it'll be a ways off, but it'd be a situation where I'd have to know it's better than the converters in my Fireface and I'd have at least 6 more analog connections to it already. The likelihood of that happening soon is frankly non-existent, seeing as I've decided I'm spending too much on gear and need to stop before I start running up my Credit cards :cry:
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

User avatar
analogcabin
buyin' gear
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Afton, Virginia
Contact:

Post by analogcabin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:59 am

This ought to be interesting.
I wonder where it will fall/performance wise?

tomberdude
pushin' record
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:18 pm

Post by tomberdude » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:03 pm

i'm excited. i can imagine what fun i will have with their a/d and microclock combined.

KamikazeKyle
gimme a little kick & snare
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Post by KamikazeKyle » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 pm

I Think I might buy one once their released. It depends on the initial reviews though.

snatchman
george martin
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:23 pm

Post by snatchman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:27 am

Yeah..I'm gonna get one ( of each )..Hopefully when they are released, there will be a rack conversion with them to rack mount them!..( ie..Lucid)..Plus, I'm a big fan of Matt's work... 8)

puffpastry
pushin' record
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:20 pm
Location: Uptown/St. Ben's
Contact:

Post by puffpastry » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:21 am

Hey all--
I don't drop by much these days because I'm often too busy. I
can give everyone a little run down on what I've done with the A/D
design. Here are some specs:

Number of channels: 2
Dynamic range, Converter: 120dB
Dynamic range, Analog: 33dBu
SNR: -110dB
Slew rate, Analog: approx 6000v/microsecond
Max analog input before digital clipping: +6dBu
Min analog input necessary for digital output: -20dBu
Inputs: Balanced, TRS
Outputs: SPDIF, AES-EBU
Sampling rates: 44.1kHz-192kHz
Bit rate: 24 bit

In the process of experimenting with converter circuits, I came up with a rather
unusual approach to converter design and circuit layout. This approach was
something we couldn't incorporate into the units we modify, and the
improvement in signal quality over traditional designs was simply enormous.
It completely eliminates audible distortions that occur within the conversion
process. Because of this we decided that we needed to design our own
A/D and D/A.

In keeping with our tradition of trying to keep things in an accessible price
range, the design is very simple. There is no input volume control, just a
single amplifier stage before the converter in order to keep the signal path as
short as possible. The analog input is extremely fast, and has the sort of
headroom you normally find in very expensive boutique designs, so the
sound is both detailed and gigantic.

While the A/D is finished, the D/A is still being prototyped. Hopefully I'll
have more information about it soon!


Matt
Black Lion Audio

dynomike
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:26 am

Post by dynomike » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:22 am

i'm actually kind of holding out on converter upgrades because i'm curious about this. i've pretty much determined not to upgrade unless i'm going all the way (lavry, etc), so it'd have to be damn good.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

snatchman
george martin
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:23 pm

Post by snatchman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:02 am

puffpastry wrote:Hey all--
I don't drop by much these days because I'm often too busy. I
can give everyone a little run down on what I've done with the A/D
design. Here are some specs:

Number of channels: 2
Dynamic range, Converter: 120dB
Dynamic range, Analog: 33dBu
SNR: -110dB
Slew rate, Analog: approx 6000v/microsecond
Max analog input before digital clipping: +6dBu
Min analog input necessary for digital output: -20dBu
Inputs: Balanced, TRS
Outputs: SPDIF, AES-EBU
Sampling rates: 44.1kHz-192kHz
Bit rate: 24 bit

In the process of experimenting with converter circuits, I came up with a rather
unusual approach to converter design and circuit layout. This approach was
something we couldn't incorporate into the units we modify, and the
improvement in signal quality over traditional designs was simply enormous.
It completely eliminates audible distortions that occur within the conversion
process. Because of this we decided that we needed to design our own
A/D and D/A.

In keeping with our tradition of trying to keep things in an accessible price
range, the design is very simple. There is no input volume control, just a
single amplifier stage before the converter in order to keep the signal path as
short as possible. The analog input is extremely fast, and has the sort of
headroom you normally find in very expensive boutique designs, so the
sound is both detailed and gigantic.

While the A/D is finished, the D/A is still being prototyped. Hopefully I'll
have more information about it soon!


Matt
Black Lion Audio
Hey Matt..Specs look good! Check your PM..Thanks

rushofblood
pushin' record
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 11:57 pm

Post by rushofblood » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:02 pm

dynomike wrote:i'm actually kind of holding out on converter upgrades because i'm curious about this. i've pretty much determined not to upgrade unless i'm going all the way (lavry, etc), so it'd have to be damn good.
same boat

User avatar
calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3233
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: Oakland
Contact:

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:03 pm

yeah ditto on that. I went through half a dozen interfaces before I settled on the 828MKII. Thats going to BLA as soon as I get ahead of the post holiday belt tightening.
After that I want to get a knock your dick in the dirt AD/DA. I like the shit talking of Dan Lavry anough to want to buy his pieces. That and his take no prisoners minimalist approach. But if the BLA units are more affordable I'll check those first.
And I still need to get around to picking up a couple TAB 421's.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

qball
pushin' record
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:05 am
Location: Central NY

Post by qball » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:02 am

I only wish they would include SMUX optical I/O.
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

dynomike
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:26 am

Post by dynomike » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 am

qball wrote:I only wish they would include SMUX optical I/O.
why? its only 2 channels.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

chris harris
speech impediment
Posts: 4270
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:31 pm
Location: Norman, OK
Contact:

Post by chris harris » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:55 am

dynomike wrote:
qball wrote:I only wish they would include SMUX optical I/O.
why? its only 2 channels.
I guess if you're using an interface that only has ADAT optical as a digital i/o, and no spdif or aes i/o, this would be handy.

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:42 am
Location: Portland, ME
Contact:

Post by hughmanatee » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:06 am

if i were to get one of these is there a way to slave my 003 through it to use the converters?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests