ADAT to PC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

traveen
pluggin' in mics

ADAT to PC

Post by traveen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:14 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about going to an Alesis ADAT for recording but would still like to edit in my PC. Basically using the ADAT for recording only.

What's the best (read: Cheapest) way for me to download from ADAT to my PC using more than 2 tracks at a time. What i want to accomplish is moving 8 tracks from ADAT to the PC all at once.

Thanks for anyones' input.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:17 am

wouldnt you just need a lightpipe card?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:36 am

On sale: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WavecenterPCId/

If you don't mind an additional AD/DA conversion, you can use one of those MAudio Delta 1010 cards http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Delta1010LT/

traveen
pluggin' in mics

Post by traveen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Junomat, what is a lightpipe card? I am not up on all this stuff.

Kayagum,
I would not mind the extra conversion, but I think my PC is short of the requirements of that card. Needs 1g of memory.. I'm short of that by 25% or so.

I'm running an HP Kayak with PIII and about 750 ram (which is the max).. I do also have an old Mac G3 with OSx and an old Fostex FD-8 if that would make it easier for anyone to recommend something.

Thing is, I'm just effin' tired of putting money into a hobby. I do music for fun, have no intention of making money or being a pro at this. Even with my lousy setup I can get very nice sounding music, but I want the ability to record with more than 2 tracks.

I just got the ADAT with the BRC (big remote control). Looks like th eanswer to my needs, but I need a good way to get the track into my PC for mixing/mastering.

I've been told a MOTU 2408 would do the trick, but they're frickin' expensive. I'm getting old and cheap.

traveen
pluggin' in mics

Post by traveen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:54 pm

I think I was worng.. looks like the M-audio Delta 1010lt would work with my PC.

At $200 that's the limit of what I wanted to put into this.

If anyone has something else that would work or is cheaper, please let me know. Or if anyone has one for sale let me know.

Thanks..

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:36 pm

traveen wrote:Junomat, what is a lightpipe card? I am not up on all this stuff.
You're lazy. UTFSF. (translate: use the search function to look it up- really it's not hard).
Kayagum,
Thing is, I'm just effin' tired of putting money into a hobby....I'm getting old and cheap.
At least you're self aware and honest... :D

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:27 pm

For $200, you could find a used MOTU 2408 mkII & PCI324 card, if your computer is compatible (if it's Intel PIII cpu w/ Intel chipset motherboard).
For less, you could find a used MOTU 2408 mk 1 or even a used Digidesign 001, although your system may be borderline with the 001 and a PIII with windows XP. The MOTU gear would give you 24 channels of lightpipe I/O.
If the 001 hiccups on your computer running PT LE, load up another DAW program (Cubase, Reaper), configure the Digi ASIO driver and all should be fine.

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:17 am

Frontier Design Dakota will work great for this. 16 channels of lightpipe in/out on a single PCI card. I had one and it works really well. There's a used one on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frontier-Design-Dak ... dZViewItem
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

traveen
pluggin' in mics

Post by traveen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Lazy..LAZY,,??? man ... if i had the energy I'd say something about that..

BTW, in my day, "light-pipe" had a different meaning.

I'm leaning towards the M-audio Delta 1010lt thingy.. seems to be the least invasive to my wallet and system.
kayagum wrote:
traveen wrote:Junomat, what is a lightpipe card? I am not up on all this stuff.
You're lazy. UTFSF. (translate: use the search function to look it up- really it's not hard).
Kayagum,
Thing is, I'm just effin' tired of putting money into a hobby....I'm getting old and cheap.
At least you're self aware and honest... :D