BLUE Mouse?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Bear's Gone Fission wrote:I'm pretty sure it was the case that Soundelux was using Blue capsules early on for the U95s and U99, though possibly switched by the end of their runs. More to a mic than the capsule, of course.

Bear
like I said before in the prevoius post, even if it was the case BLUE makes a great capsule so I wouldn't consider it a big deal if true. I actually think Peluso caps are the best deal going in a way if you look and listen to what they are doing....sorry to get off topic.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:33 pm

No sweat, I'm going to hold out for a transformer model. Which means I'll probably spend the money I have on something else...maybe a Charter Oaks SA538. I don't have any tube microphones.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Used Mouse

Post by AK Audio » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:07 pm

minorleagues wrote:No sweat, I'm going to hold out for a transformer model. Which means I'll probably spend the money I have on something else...maybe a Charter Oaks SA538. I don't have any tube microphones.

Just so you guys know - I just bought a Blue Mouse (black) w/ transformer, from a post here last week for $700. They're definitely around. And just for the record, Blue is definitely doing some fall cleaning... I live in Seattle, and EVERY Blue dealer is blowing them out. Guitar Center dropped the price on Bluebirds as their "deal O' the month"

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Bluebi ... 1127341.gc

Musicians Friend is doing an insane deal with a free OnStage studio boom & filter (on top of the $200 rebate Blue is offering right now):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=272017

and the kick ball & Blue ball models are flying off the shelves at ZZounds:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BALKICKBALL

So if that leaves a doubt in anyone's mind...
Anyway, if you can find some of the originals in good shape I would say go for it, but the new ones aren't looking so hot.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:17 am

nestle wrote:
For LDC I have the

MOUSE
baby bottle
U47 Dave Thomas clone
and the MC 012 RED caps
What do you use your baby bottle on? I've got one, and it doesn't seem to work for anything but vocals and room mic. It seems like the SPL handling is a little lower than advertised, and the output is super hot.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:24 am

Last I heard, Blue was changing distributors, so a lot of old stock is getting blown out by the big gear retailers. I picked up a couple of OmniMouses (mice?) for $650 each at fullcompass a few months ago. I just looked and they're back up to $1300 again at all the major stores.

There's a new one with a BIN of $550 on ebay right now, which is the cheapest I've ever seen it. Somebody should snatch it up. Makes a great mono room or overhead mic for drums.

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:13 pm

my mouse is cool!

outer kick, snare, floor tom, bass cabs are the best apps for it!

has a boost around 5k which on some vocalists can be harsh. the low end also can be a bit much on some vocalists.

its great tho, i love the rotating capsule!

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:12 pm

I've had my Mouse for a few months now, and it does quite well on several sources. Kick, snare, (probably toms), male vocals, acoustic and electric. Like all BLUE mics it's definitely hit or miss from source to source. I'd say it sounds killer on a very particular kind of male vocal, same with acoustic guitar.

It's great for punchy, meaty guitars, terrible for jangly country or Dave Matthews type of acts. I also have a pair of Dragonflies and it's a totally different mic altogether!

I mic'd my Gretsch through a '69 Fender Champ (Jensen 8" Reissue & Telefunken tubes) and it sounds awesome. The thing is you just have to mess around with this mic, try it out on LOTS of different stuff until you finally just know what it will sound good on. I'm still in that process.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:43 am

minorleagues wrote:Well...the Dragonfly is pretty crazy too.
I just bought 2 dragonfly's a couple months ago while they had the rebate, and while I like them as drum overheads a lot, have had good results on vocals, prefer the SM81's on acoustic. I find that on every source I use both of them one of them is always out of phase. which I find odd because out of all the times I have used the SM81's as overheads or on acoustic I have never had a phasing problem, but now that I've had the dragonfly's I seem to have phasing problems. So I think I need to find out if one of my mic's are accidentally wired wrong, which is flipping the phase on one.

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 am

mattwhritenour wrote:
minorleagues wrote:Well...the Dragonfly is pretty crazy too.
I find that on every source I use both of them one of them is always out of phase. which I find odd because out of all the times I have used the SM81's as overheads or on acoustic I have never had a phasing problem, but now that I've had the dragonfly's I seem to have phasing problems. So I think I need to find out if one of my mic's are accidentally wired wrong, which is flipping the phase on one.
I would check out your cables as well. Sometimes it can be something as simple as a mis-wired XLR. Unfortunately there are a rather disheartening amount of them out there.