New Weber speaker on it's way...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

New Weber speaker on it's way...

Post by mrdazobee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:03 am

I just ordered a Weber alnico 8" for my vibrochamp but I have heard you have to "break in" a new speaker before it sounds its best.Is this true?If so are there any short cuts?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:09 am

I've found it to be true, but it'll sound good out of the box, too. I'll loop the sample song from a cheap casio through the amp on low volume for a couple of hours, and presto...broken in speaker.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:21 am

I have heard that it takes 8 to 40 hours of hard playing to break in a speaker.....that said, I bought a Webber 8" alnico for my blackface Champ & it sounded like a Champ right out of the box....enjoy!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

willowhaus
takin' a dinner break

Post by willowhaus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:50 am

I broke in the 6" Jensen in my Champion 600 RI by playing some tunes through it for a few hours while we went out to dinner. :) (Stuff by The Neville Brothers, if anyone cares. ;) )

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:16 am

Bluesman did you get the webber signiture series 8s?That is the one I ordered after a bit of research.Is it a lot better than the oxford stock?

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:29 am

Yep, thats the same one I bought & yes, it does blow away the stock speaker...more lows, louder, thicker...just plain better! Well worth the purchase price in my opinion.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:10 pm

the webers from the factory are a bit tight but they're made that way so that once they are broken in they will be perfect for years to come. I would just crank up your amp and rockout for a few hours. It's not really a big deal it's just slightly better sounding after you play it for a while

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 am

Hmmmm...

Maybe this something I should look into for my vibrochamp.

I've been thinking about it for a while. I love the midrange on the thing, but the speaker just really "folds" whenever it gets a bunch of bass information.

Part of me feels like "Hey that's how it's supposed to sound", but another part of me knows it could be even more flexible if the amp didn't have such a narrow sweetspot.

Volume on 5, bass on 4 and the amp rocks. Anything hotter, and the speaker is just a little bit too "stressed" sounding. Sucks a little, because I love how the think saturates and sags at higher levels.... but sometimes the speaker just can't keep up.

How's your new(ish) weber speaker holding up?

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:17 am

fossiltooth wrote:Hmmmm...

How's your new(ish) weber speaker holding up?
I can't speak for the OP, but I've had a Weber Signature 10" Alnico in my Kalamazoo Model 2 for about a year now.

I absolutely LOVE the way that amp sounds now- with the volume around 6 or 7- the breakup, she is SO NICE. I don't have any experience with the higher-end "Vintage" series from TW, but for the money the Signature speakers are great.

Andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

MJA
audio school graduate

Post by MJA » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 am

Funny, I just ordered the same thing for my vibrochamp. Should be showing up any day. Anyone have a good tube recipe for these amps? I have the stock ones in right now. I think there is room for improvement.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:09 pm

You can break it in with a Line 6 Delay or any other looper effect. Just loop a signal (bass signals move the voice cone farthest) to the amp, crank it a little, face the amp to a pillow on the floor, grab the cat and dog, and go eat a spaghetti dinner.

Should be broken in when you come back.

But personally, I think the need to break in speakers is a load of crap.
0x