Buy a patchbay system

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Where's Russ
ass engineer

Buy a patchbay system

Post by Where's Russ » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:46 am

I'm on my way to opening my studio. I have a 36x12x4 Tac Scorpion II and I'm starting to invest in some outboard gear. I'm starting to get to the point where I need a patchbay system!

BUT instead of buying 1u rack patchbay at a time, I would rather just get a few from one place!

Any suggestions on where to buy a patchbay system?

I would prefer TT but 1/4" would be fine!

Where's Russ
ass engineer

Post by Where's Russ » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:51 am

oh yea!

Anyone know where to get a stand for the Tac Scorpion?

Thanks!

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:25 am

Mr Patchbay is my patchbay jesus.

http://home.flash.net/~motodata/patchbays/

Also Build a stand dude! Thats what i did with my Topaz.

And you can say its Custom.

Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:28 am

I've had great service from Redco lately.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:37 am

if you are up for some soldering...you can get solder tt bays pretty cheap. i snagged a pair of tt 96 point switchcraft bays here from someone on the tomb for less than $100

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:19 am

+1 for mr patchbay. I find the punchdown-type bays are easy to work with and justify the extra cost over the solder-type PBs.

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:46 am

Gepco was really helpful in putting together my patchbay system. I went with a pair of Bittrees and a Switchcraft QG XLR patch panel. They are in Des Plaines, just outside of Chicago (local to me, which helped with the shipping cost of all that cabling).

Redco is also a really great company. I've gotten several custom cables from them. And their new TT patchbay with DB25 connections on the back looks nice.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:20 pm

channelcat wrote:
Redco is also a really great company. I've gotten several custom cables from them. And their new TT patchbay with DB25 connections on the back looks nice.
Got one a month or so ago- I dig how easy it is to configure normalling/grounding. It's my 1st bay, but I really like the compactness/tidyness of having the DB25 bay. I haven't had to yet, but I imagine that re-configuring will be a lot easier too. I usually don't mind soldering for a few hours on end, but the thought of soldering 3x96 points + normalling had me breathing into a paper bag at the mere thought- of course punchdowns would be alot easier...

Redco is awesome to deal with. One of my boxes was short a couple of cables (it also looked like it had been used for a rugby scrum in the UPS warehouse). Chris got 2 more cutom built cables out to me no questions asked.

-J

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:40 pm

JdJ wrote:
I usually don't mind soldering for a few hours on end, but the thought of soldering 3x96 points + normalling had me breathing into a paper bag at the mere thought- of course punchdowns would be alot easier...

-J
yeah. i had desolder 4 96 pt tt bays, then solder it all back to my configuration. holy fucking hell did that suck.

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:01 pm

At my studio, we purchased several of the TT Bittree Patchbays w/ the punch blocks. Much easier than soldering, and work great. Easy to change your configuration, and you don't need to pull them out of the wall to do it!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:14 pm

I'm doing everything at my new place on dsub redco bays. Although apparently you have to be real careful with your strain relief since the dsubs rest on PCBs inside the bay and you could snap them...

-marc alan

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:42 am

Marcocet wrote:I'm doing everything at my new place on dsub redco bays. Although apparently you have to be real careful with your strain relief since the dsubs rest on PCBs inside the bay and you could snap them...

-marc alan
Excellent point.

Whatever you do, I would suggest you go with 8-ch. snakes. I went with 24-ch. snakes, and they are heavy and awkward. For strain relief, I attached some Coil'n'Carrys to a Middle-Atlantic EB-1, which resides on rear rack rails behind my patchbays.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:20 pm

for several years now I have been telling myself to get some of those Dsub to 1/4" patchbays. I started looking at them back in the mid 90's when they came out for the DA88's and other tascam gear wired that way. They went away for a few years in the mean time. But seem to be experiencing a renaisance now. I guess due to how normal it is for gear to work in 8 track increments.
I was set on dsub to 1/4", but I think I may bite the bullet and go bantam. Sure I'll have to chop a bunch of adapters and make em bantam, but the port density appeals to me. Though this may make the pachbay labels impossibel to read. I guess I'll make up a 3 ring binder with all the patch info. (seen that a few times in old school studios)
Redco seems to have the goods.

One good model I found was made by Signex. About $200 for each RU of patchbay ness.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."