Ideal uses for Blumlein pair?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Lee Knight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lee Knight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:59 am

I use Blumlein all the time.

Drum Room -close or far

Shaker and tamborine ODs - try moving the player left or right where you plan to mix him. For instance, if the hat is right, have the player step left so the shaker is opposite the hat in a organic way.

Sound effects - try taking a ratchet wrench 3 inches away from the mics and clicking it as you move it left and right. Try a chopping block up close, sshhhhhwoop-CLOP. Or one of the whirly hose things for kids. It'll swoop between the speakers like nothing you've heard before.

Choir

Backups

Horns - "Trumpet, would you please step back 5 feet? Tenor, please move forward a foot or 2. Thanks...""

Impromptu back porch performance. We did a reprise of a tune as a hidden track. Banjo, vocal, and foot tamborine all by one player. Blumlien was 10 feet across the room. That's it. It sounded awesome.

Guitar room in addition to your close cab mic.

What else?

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:15 am

I think this has been mentioned before, but the main benefit of using a Blumlein setup is that you capture lots of room sound. This means that it's great anytime you like your room, or you like it on a particular source, and you want to capture as much of it as possible. I wouldn't necessarily say it's best for drums, or guitar, or plastic recorder. For me, it's more about the room.