Pedal suggestion, please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mc437
pushin' record

Pedal suggestion, please

Post by mc437 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:11 pm

My wife and I have a 2-piece rock/pop band. She plays rhodes and sings, and I play drums and sing. I am wanting to buy a pedal for the rhodes that will make it sound bigger/fuller on certain parts. Hard to explain what I mean, but something that will give it more thickness and drive. Any suggestions?

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Sounds a lot like Quasi. I know Rhodes love the Boss CE-1. if you don't want to spend the money for a real one, the Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus is a very convincing clone.

The Mutron Bi-Phase is a classic pairing, but again very expensive. Maybe one of those Nord Rack Units would be the best option?
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Pedal suggestion, please

Post by RefD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:34 pm

mc437 wrote:My wife and I have a 2-piece rock/pop band. She plays rhodes and sings, and I play drums and sing. I am wanting to buy a pedal for the rhodes that will make it sound bigger/fuller on certain parts. Hard to explain what I mean, but something that will give it more thickness and drive. Any suggestions?
can you expand on the "thickness and drive" thing?

cos there's a few ways that can be understood all leading down somewhat different paths.

lucky you, i often wish my wife was also a musician.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

mc437
pushin' record

Re: Pedal suggestion, please

Post by mc437 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:54 pm

RefD wrote:
mc437 wrote:My wife and I have a 2-piece rock/pop band. She plays rhodes and sings, and I play drums and sing. I am wanting to buy a pedal for the rhodes that will make it sound bigger/fuller on certain parts. Hard to explain what I mean, but something that will give it more thickness and drive. Any suggestions?
can you expand on the "thickness and drive" thing?

cos there's a few ways that can be understood all leading down somewhat different paths.

lucky you, i often wish my wife was also a musician.
I guess what I mean is that I want the notes to sound fuller-for each individual note to cover more ground. The sound of a rhodes really chimey, which is great. But, I just want the rhodes to sound more lush, full, striking. This would be for the parts of the songs that are a bit heavier. Does that make sense?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:34 pm

does this Rhodes have an instrument level out?

it'd be worth trying various really GOOD QUALITY (IOW, no RokTek or Arion) pedals on.

chorus, phaser, trem, EQ, compression and overdrive in various combinations are all classics on this instrument.

a good compressor pedal can pull things forward a bit, but it will also amplify any noise...likewise with overdrive pedals.

did you want it swirly at all?

some phasers can lend a bit of midrange grind when you lean into the instrument.

in chorusing, you can get a less comic book sound by using a unit that splits the frequency spectrum with a 2 way crossover and then choruses only the top half.

i hate to say it, but nothing beats actually trying things out with the instrument in question.

is she going DI or thru an amp?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:21 am

RefD wrote: in chorusing, you can get a less comic book sound by using a unit that splits the frequency spectrum with a 2 way crossover and then choruses only the top half.
That's a really good idea. I think a tremolo pedal would be a neat effect on a Rhodes as well, but it isn't going to make it sound fuller.

I think an EQ pedal might be a good place to start, but I've never tried that with a Rhodes. The Boss GE7 7 Band EQ can be had pretty cheap. The new BBE Sonic Stomp might be worth trying as well.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Kindly Killer
gettin' sounds

Post by Kindly Killer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:32 am

rhodes has very similar character to clean electric guitar - same problems, same solutions. some tricks i use on guitar and sometimes on synth rhodes:
  • roll off treble somewhere in front of the amp, even in a passive varitone type circuit
  • delay - a short delay makes it sound bigger and a longer, lower level, feedbacky delay helps smear the notes
  • more gain on the amp
  • gain up a very subtile overdrive pedal, like RC Booster
  • eq pedal into a tube amp is like a swiss army knife. you can get a gain increase and a decrease in the freqs that are too prevalent/make it sound thin
  • chorus
  • compression: tames the plinkyness

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:30 am

what about a very subtle amount of ring modulation... and i always like that crass bell-tone thing on electric piano.
trouble clef.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:43 am

Have you tried an overdrive pedal on a low setting? Actually, I like RAT pedals for both keyboards and guitar for that....just set the drive level low, compensate with the volume/level, and you're good to go.

You could also try compressor pedals too. I personally like the Maxon CP101, but it may not be enough for what you're trying to do.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:51 am

kayagum wrote:Have you tried an overdrive pedal on a low setting? Actually, I like RAT pedals for both keyboards and guitar for that....just set the drive level low, compensate with the volume/level, and you're good to go.

You could also try compressor pedals too. I personally like the Maxon CP101, but it may not be enough for what you're trying to do.
yeah, I think an overdrive pedal will give you the punch you're looking for. and a little grit too. keep it simple!

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:59 am

a booster or overdrive, I've never been lucky enough to have a Rhodes to experiment with, but I dig tubescreamers on keyboards in general. Or you can turn the amp to where it's barely distorting and then use a volume pedal to control the amount.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:14 am

A ZVex SHO might be the ticket...adds some body to the sound, even if you don't use it to boost volume.

mc437
pushin' record

Post by mc437 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:31 am

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, guys. First off, I have a Boss OD-2, which I use to add a bit of overdrive. But, the Rhodes is going through a black face '65 Fender Band Master, so there is already a fair amount of tube overdrive. The amp has a great tremolo, which we use, so we're covered there. I like the delay suggestion, so we'll go try out some delay pedals. I used to have a dynacomp too, which I liked on guitar, so maybe I'll look for another one of those. I'll need to just go to the music store and try out pedals and see what sounds good.
Also I am surprised at all the chorus suggestions. I almost never like the sound of chorus, but perhaps it will find its usefulness with the Rhodes...

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:50 am

i believe we got a great, aggressive, big rhodes sound using a jimi hendrix wha -- i think it is the white one. if you go to my band myspace page and listen to a track called "the Mighty" in the middle/end of the song you can hear the change for a cleaner sweeter rhodes to an aggressive sound. the main songwriter/drummer/piano/singer in our band is a huge miles fan and had seen keith jarrett use one on a rhodes.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:22 am

I got one of the EH holy stain pedals, and it definitely does dark/thick. You say you've got OD and tremolo covered, but this thing is a little different. The OD's are dark and thick, and the tremolo has a little chorus/leslie-ish effect to it. It might do something interesting to a Rhodes.