Roland/Edirol R-09 file corruption

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

climber
ass engineer

Post by climber » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:26 pm

apparently if you are recording and the battery dies while you are recording, the file doesn't get closed and is corrupt. so far I haven't found a solution to this issue. this is a heads up if you have the unit and record on battery powere AND is a request for help if you know how to repair the file. I'm pretty sure it's a missing End Of File marker.

hard to believe that the unit can't sense when the battery id crapping out and do a graceful shut down. :(
Climber...

Clever Sounds Recording

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 am

I had one for a couple months and I sold it. It looked like the perfect portable recorder for field recordings but he battery life was TOTALLY worthless.
AND as you found out if the unit dies while recording your screwed.

DJ Tanner
audio school graduate

Post by DJ Tanner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:50 am

I just got one last November, and I've had the battery die while recording several times with no problems. Maybe I got a new revision or something.

climber
ass engineer

Post by climber » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:08 pm

DJ Tanner wrote:I just got one last November, and I've had the battery die while recording several times with no problems. Maybe I got a new revision or something.
interesting... this has happened to me several times. every time the file is corrupted. I have the latest firmware as well. I contacted Roland/Edirol support and they said that they couldn't help. I will likely sell the unit for this reason.
Climber...

Clever Sounds Recording

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:08 pm

My unit was from the first batch.

DJ Tanner
audio school graduate

Post by DJ Tanner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:21 pm

climber wrote: interesting... this has happened to me several times. every time the file is corrupted. I have the latest firmware as well. I contacted Roland/Edirol support and they said that they couldn't help. I will likely sell the unit for this reason.
I wish I could be of some help, but I do sympathize with you. My experience with Roland tech support has not been positive.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:54 am

I've had the battery die mid-recording many many times... yeah, the R-09 has crappy battery life. BUT, not once was the file unplayable!!!!

The partially-recorded files ALWAYS played back fine in Windows Media Player after inserting the SD card into my laptop.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:08 am

Hey I just noticed theres a positive review of this unit in the new TO issue

climber
ass engineer

Post by climber » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:28 am

TapeOpAndy wrote:The partially-recorded files ALWAYS played back fine in Windows Media Player after inserting the SD card into my laptop.
was it able to play back IN the unit? these files will not. interestingly enough the sales person at the store I bought it told me that this was the one drag of the unit & he had personally experienced this happening. I use a Mac but I will try that file on Windows when I get the chance, just to see if it makes a difference.

thanks for the suggestion...
Climber...

Clever Sounds Recording

DJ Tanner
audio school graduate

Post by DJ Tanner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 am

I just realized that I've never used the usb cable to transfer files from the unit. I've always just used a card reader. Could it be that the usb transfer protocol is broken and not the file?

climber
ass engineer

Post by climber » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:35 am

I never transfer using USB. it's just too slow. I take the card out & put it into a reader so that would not be the issue. besides, its only when the unit shuts down in the middle of a recording. those files also will not play in the unit itself.
Climber...

Clever Sounds Recording

digitaltaper
audio school

Post by digitaltaper » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:33 am

I have just experienced something similar.

My card was already pretty full and I recorded an approximate 30 min rehearsal with my band. That file exceeded the capacity of the card (512).

When I try to play it back, the R-09 displays "incorrect song", and when I put the card in my card reader to copy to hard drive, Windows (XP sp2) says the file is corrupt (all other sound files downloaded and played fine.)

It is one of the earlier units, but with the latest v.1.30 firmware. There was no warning that the card was full (or if there was, it appeared and disappeared again. My attention was elsewhere). It was powered by the mains adapter, altho' it had good batteries in at the time, too.

I also notice when the limiter is on and the music is fairly loud, the stereo image shifts around a lot.

SethSings
audio school

EDIROL File Corruption

Post by SethSings » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:38 am

My sympathies to all who have had this nasty corruption occur. I recorded my Birthday Gig last night only to find the file corrupted due to my pulling the plug before pressing stop...(my bad)... Well, ROLAND has kindly put firmware 1.30 up which has a Repair File option on the menu. Hey, IT WORKED! I'm back... :D

So, ROLAND just gave me a birthday present. Try it and see if it works for you.
Seth Sings

climber
ass engineer

Post by climber » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:01 am

I have the 1.30 firmware update & didn't see that option. strange... maybe it only appears when there is an identified file that is corrupted. i have somewhat resolved the problem by (almost) always plugging into a wall power source and making sure that I have enough room on my SD card. I need to buy a 4 gig card this week to be doubly sure.

as far as the limiter, I never use it. I have spent a lot of time fiddling with the input volume to assure that there is no overload. when I tried the limiter I found that it didn't sound nearly as good as without. when I bring the file into my computer I do a normalize in my sound editing program to max the levels.

it is very surprising just how good this box can record. I am working on a live CD using only tracks recorded with the R0-09. here is an example:

http://www.soundsclever.com/sounds/BornUnderBadSign.mp3

pretty straight recording. the 09 was about 25' directly in front of the band and hung from the light cable near the ceiling. I play this club a lot and record all of the bands I play with. we do 3 hours a night & I just turn the unit on & leave it on all night. that way I don't forget to turn it on or off. a 2 gig card gets all but maybe the last tune or encore. arguably I could bring the bas down just a touch using a plugin. but I'm the bass player so I happen to like bass out front. :roll:
Climber...

Clever Sounds Recording

SethSings
audio school

Post by SethSings » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:09 am

Climber,

When you press the Menu button you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see the Repair File option. It will be there. Also, I carefully read the specifications of the R-09 before I went out and bought my 2Gig card, and discovered that 2GB is the limit that the R-09 can use! I, too, find that I can easily fit 3 hours at 16bit onto the 2GB card. I also find the AGC just terrible in what it does to the recordings. I didn't mean to turn it on, but it was too late when I discovered it (after the gig)! I get excellent recording on this wonderful device (now that I can fix my corrupt files I feel this way). I just wish that they had put a tripod mounting screwhole on the bottom! My hardshell Blackberry case is just barely working as a mounting device.

SethSings
Seth Sings