Time for New Mac

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Time for New Mac

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:04 am

My G4 iBook has died from logic boarditis. As a result I'm looking for a new computer. I'm back and forth between a laptop or an iMac but leaning towards the laptop (I do lots of mobile work).
I'm running Pro Tools 7 with a Digi 002. The old laptop was a single processor running Tiger.
Does anyone know if I'll run into issues with this version of PT and the new dual core Macs with the newer OS?
Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

Post by BlueMoonshine » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:33 am

To my knowledge, PT doesn't support Leopard yet.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?lan ... emid=28065

But if you get the new box, you could replace the Leopard install with Tiger (or a second partition)

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:49 am

Aside from the O/S support problem, I'm 99% sure you'll be fine. You will have to downgrade to 10.4.10 or earlier because Leopard isn't just not support, PT won't work on it at all.

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll be fine. I use boot camp to boot to an XP install on my iMac for business stuff, and it's great. So you could either set up a dual-boot into 10.4.10 (probably a better option than re-installing the whole thing) or a dual-boot into XP if you don't want to totally wipe Leopard out.

If your current one hadn't died, I'd say wait, but as it is, I'd either call Apple or go to an Apple store and talk with them about the best way to run 10.4.10 on a new Mac.

Todd Wilcox

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:17 pm

I'd get a Tower, because they have an awesome amount of power and expandability. Pretty future proof. Barring that get anything but an IMAC. I have heard horror stories about getting service on those. From what I understand its rather hard to get at the hard drive/CPU for upgrades. But then again, I'm not a mac guy.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 am

I did end up going for the iMac. I heard the same horror stories calaverasgrandes mentioned but went ahead anyway. My main reason for not getting a tower is space and noise. My studio is open concept and not very big. I don't have room for a tower and I don't want to deal with fan noise. I got apple care for it so I'm not too worried about repairs. If it's anything like my old laptop it will die shortly after the 3 year warrent is up anyway. A new computer every 3 years just seems to be a fact of life with Macs.
Anyway, the iMac is up and running and I've managed to get PT 7.4 to work on Leopard with no problems so far. Fingers crossed!

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:14 am

junkshop wrote:Anyway, the iMac is up and running and I've managed to get PT 7.4 to work on Leopard with no problems so far. Fingers crossed!
Really now?!? *places fingers in evil genius pose*

I loves me some iMac, that's fo' sure.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Hey whatever works for you. I'm a huge IT geek. So a computer I cant get at the internals of is anathema to me. Part of the appeal of Macs is the plug and go, appliance-like aspect of it.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

I went to the Apple store last week "to do some research" with absolutely no intention of buying the 20" iMac 2.4 Ghz Intel dual core, but it's just such a sexy looking beast. I had to have it. So far it's fast as all hell and I think i'll just stick with Tiger until I hear that Leopard is cool with PT.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:59 am

imacs scare me. So little room for so much stuff. Desktop components with laptop ventilation.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:04 am

Man, let me just say that the 20" white iMacs have possibly the most annoying latches in the world. I just had to help someone take one apart, and after 20 minutes of jabbing at it with the $10 bent piece of plastic that Apple sells specifically for this purpose, following along with a guide from Apple on how to open this exact model, we ended up getting one latch and breaking the other one to get the case off. The disassembly guide reads like a bad joke. And yes, we were taking it apart because the HD was dying, possibly due to overheating.

Although Jeff, the current iMac line actually uses laptop CPUs to get its heat output down. The HD's a 3.5" though..

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:14 pm

FWIW, be sure to check out the special deals on Macs at the online store - lower left box on the page. You can save $$$ and the warranty is the same.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:59 pm

Mradyfist wrote:And yes, we were taking it apart because the HD was dying, possibly due to overheating.

Although Jeff, the current iMac line actually uses laptop CPUs to get its heat output down. The HD's a 3.5" though..
Even if nothing else is making heat, HDs do.

Try running one sitting on a desk not in a case and use it for 20 minutes. Even good HDs get hot.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York