really need some quick MBox/ILok help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

really need some quick MBox/ILok help

Post by the brill bedroom » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:14 pm

I just upgraded to a brand new IMac (a very sexy beast with tons of memory, fast CPU, all that) and a new MBox 2 which came with some bundled software. Thing is, how do you authorize these plug ins? My old mBox came with registration cards with authorization codes for the bundle. This has cards, but no authorization codes. The dude at guitar center said that my iLok would automatically send an authorization code, but I think he was full of it.

When I open a session, of course all the applications in the bundle pop up and I've been trying to authorize them. It asks if I want to use a license card to authorize- which apparently involves inserting a card somewhere (hopefully on the MBox and not my person). I would REALLY appreciate some guidance. I will, of course, also refer to the endless pit of the Digidesign site where I never find answers to my questions.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:21 pm

did you go to the iLok site?

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:32 pm

Pretty sure you have to go to the DigiDesign site firstwhere you can register your purchase. At that point they transmit a message to the ILok folks and then you go to THEIR site and download the authorizations into your iLok (assuming you already own an iLok, or they gave you one).

It's great fun...kinda like expensive, frustrating 'ring around the rosy'. Extra credit is given if you can actually figure out which plugs you really own and which ones are demos that will remain on your computer, but never really work (or expire after 2 weeks. I've been using ProTools for about a year with an MBox and an 003 and I'm still not sure if I ever owned Amplitude and T-Racks.

Some will stall your boot of ProTools each time, one by one, until you remove them from the plug ins folder or authorize them (even if you never bought that plug as part of your package it get's installed anyway).

Good luck and take deep breaths!

Gerry

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:24 pm

First go to www.ilok.com and create an account by clicking on the Signup link. They'll send you an activation email, which you'll have to open and click on a link to activate (make sure you write down your username and password). Once you can access your iLok account go to http://secure.digidesign.com/activation and enter in the first code on the red card in your Ignition Pack. If you don't already have a MyDigi account you'll need to create one. At the end of that process you'll be provided with a bunch of codes you'll need for registration/authorization. The only ones you really need to concern yourself with are Amplitube, all iZotope stuff, Reason Adapted, Live Lite, Melodyne and Timewarp. The rest either come pre-authorized or are stupid memberships to crap. It's a good idea to copy and paste these codes into a text file for safe keeping.

Now, visit that same Digi url and enter in the second code. This time it'll ask for your iLok.com account user ID and deposit Trillium and Synchronic licenses into your account. Plug in your iLok, go to iLok.com and click on the You've got licenses link in the upper-right. Click on the Synchronize button and you'll be prompted to download some software. Install that and then go to Download Licenses and hit Synchronize again. Once it's done check all the boxes, choose your iLok's serial# from the dropdown menu and hit the Download Licenses button. At the end of this process your iLok will be fully authorized (still have hard disk authorizations though). Don't freak out if iLok.com messes up during the download. Just wait 15 minutes, log back in and hit the Recover Now button.

If you need help with the hard disk authorizations, the ones mentioned in first paragraph, just pm me. All the manufacturers do it a little differently.

Good luck!

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:41 pm

Oh man, thank you! I ain't got no red card, but that all sounds good. I have a yellow card that has my Registration ID and it also has a sticker on it with a serial# and a 11 digit code that says REV J after it. What do you think?

I have used pro tools before so I know all about those demo only things that pop up at the start of every session.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:03 pm

The yellow card is your registration card. It won't give you any software licenses. If you purchased your MBox new there should be a software pack that came with it call the Ignition Pack. All Digi interfaces come with one. If you didn't get one box everything up and take it back to GC.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:31 pm

I did buy it new and I got an ignition pack DVD to install all the plug ins and little 3x5 cards describing some of them (mostly how to upgrade to the full version) and an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet describing what they do, but no red card. I went back to GC today to ask about it. So, I'm missing one red card, huh?

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Sounds like you got an old stock MBox2 with the first Ignition Pack, which had all the codes on separate cards, and no iLok licenses. They've been coming with Ignition Pack 2's since around September '07. I would take it back and ask if they have any Ignition Pack 2's. It comes with more plug-ins.

Edit: Or just get your money back and order it from Sweetwater. They have all the latest Digi stock.