headphones in Wilco movie?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tsw
steve albini likes it

headphones in Wilco movie?

Post by tsw » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:15 pm

What the hell are the headphones the band is wearing in the studio parts of "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"? Not the ones Tweedy is wearing, but the ones the other guys are wearing.

Just curious. Seems like I see those headphones in lots of studio photos, but I've never known what they are.

Thanks!

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 am

come on, somone knows the answer to this. Anyone???

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:19 am

got a pic of them?

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:22 pm

Looks like Fostex T20RP or T50RP, which are okay-sounding but quite durable (metal parts).

The phones can be seen pretty clearly on Glenn Kotche's head here @ 1:20 here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UoCZTSRvWuc&feature=related

Here's a GIS of the cans:

http://images.google.com/images?q=foste ... a=N&tab=wi

Tweedy's got Sennheiser open-backed cans in the same vid.

[<|>]
Last edited by kdarr on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I thought I saw Fostex on there, but wasn't sure about the model.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:53 pm

I had a pair of T20s that I just threw away a few months ago not because they didn't work but because the padding had deteriorated so bad they left black shit all over your ears. My dad bought them in the early 90s, I think. Very durable.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Fostex headphones are the ones I swear by. T-40's in particular.
Ultra durable, Great sounding, replaceable plug in cable, no idiotic spiral cord. A true studio standard!!

Erik

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:56 am

e.maynard wrote:Fostex headphones are the ones I swear by. T-40's in particular.
Ultra durable, Great sounding, replaceable plug in cable, no idiotic spiral cord. A true studio standard!!

Erik
I gotta get me some. The spiral cord on my 7506s has driven me to drink.

That and a lot of other stuff.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:48 pm

tsw wrote:
e.maynard wrote:Fostex headphones are the ones I swear by. T-40's in particular.

Erik
I gotta get me some. The spiral cord on my 7506s has driven me to drink.

That and a lot of other stuff.
I can't stand those Sonys anymore... I used to swear by them, but they're SO bright and SO loud. The ear fatigue sets in fast. Plus, if you wear glasses they push the earpieces into your temples and give you serious headaches after a while. And of course the flipping spiral cord.

These days I'm all about my AKG K271's. They are huge and nerdy looking, but they sound great, they're comfy, and the cord is both straight and removable.

[<|>]

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 am

kdarr wrote: These days I'm all about my AKG K271's. They are huge and nerdy looking, but they sound great, they're comfy, and the cord is both straight and removable.

[<|>]
I totally hear you on the bright/loud/fatigue thing on the 7506s. I'm done with those.

How's the isolation on the AKG K271s? I have an older pair of AKGs that I really like the sound of, but they bleed like hell. Bad for overdubs.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:24 am

tsw wrote:
kdarr wrote: These days I'm all about my AKG K271's. They are huge and nerdy looking, but they sound great, they're comfy, and the cord is both straight and removable.

[<|>]
I totally hear you on the bright/loud/fatigue thing on the 7506s. I'm done with those.

How's the isolation on the AKG K271s? I have an older pair of AKGs that I really like the sound of, but they bleed like hell. Bad for overdubs.
It's pretty damn good, actually. Unlike the venerable and wildly popular K240's, which are open-backed cans, so the iso is not so good. Open backed-cans, of course, are better in a lot of ways for vocalists, they can hear their voice in the air as well as in their head which helps a lot with pitch issues.

Anyway, my point was the K271's are closed back and the isolation is good.

Actually, the only thing I don't like about them is that they have an on-off switch feature built into the headband so that when you remove them, they stop passing signal. I can totally see how you would want that, but if you have a tiny head like I do, you have to actively PULL them down over your ears or you don't get sound. Which leads to fumbling around with controls, patches, etc. going "where the fuck's my signal!?!"

But that's just me being dumb, basically. :)

[<|>]

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:18 pm

K271's are very nice indeed. I need a pair. I like my 240's, but the iso would be nicer.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:45 pm

here's a little secret...

...I do all my critical mic evaluations using a pair of nearly-20 year old Fostex RP-20s. These headphones are great. Flat. Unhyped. Natural top end. And the phase accuracy between channels is superb - mono pink noise appears as a very solid and narrow image directly centered in the middle of my head. I've got about 5 sets of these things in my lab & studio because I want to use the same reference everywhere I work. I've taken the foam ear cushions off all the sets so the bass coupling is excellent - giving up a little cushioning is well worth the improvement in transducer / ear coupling.

Remember, these are ribbon headphones and not moving coils - the transient response is awesome. Plus the open-back design makes for a very clean low end that doesn't suffer from that boxy low end bloat common to sealed-back phones. More of a reference / mixing phone than a isolation / tracking phone though.

Btw, I used to use Sony 7506's on-air at WMBR in Cambridge and these Fostex RP-20s and RP-50 are leagues better.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:27 pm

Michael_Joly wrote:here's a little secret...

...I do all my critical mic evaluations using a pair of nearly-20 year old Fostex RP-20s. These headphones are great. Flat. Unhyped. Natural top end. And the phase accuracy between channels is superb - mono pink noise appears as a very solid and narrow image directly centered in the middle of my head. I've got about 5 sets of these things in my lab & studio because I want to use the same reference everywhere I work. I've taken the foam ear cushions off all the sets so the bass coupling is excellent - giving up a little cushioning is well worth the improvement in transducer / ear coupling.

Remember, these are ribbon headphones and not moving coils - the transient response is awesome. Plus the open-back design makes for a very clean low end that doesn't suffer from that boxy low end bloat common to sealed-back phones. More of a reference / mixing phone than a isolation / tracking phone though.

Btw, I used to use Sony 7506's on-air at WMBR in Cambridge and these Fostex RP-20s and RP-50 are leagues better.
Huh, how about that. Thanks for the tip, Michael! I had no idea they were ribbon cans.

I guess I never thought much of the RP-20s because they were what we had available at my community college audio program, and the pairs we had were all pretty beat to shit.

See, this is what TapeOp is all about! Seasoned professionals cluing in amateur douchebags like myself.

[<|>]

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:21 pm

kdarr wrote:See, this is what TapeOp is all about! Seasoned professionals cluing in amateur douchebags like myself.
Yeah, this is really awesome. I really appreciate all the info. Oh, and you were right kdarr. It is 240s that I have. And I love 'em, but yeah, not so good on the iso. Plus, bass kind of rattles one of the cans. I think it's a little bit blown out. Which is understandable since they've been around since before I was born or something.