Source for germanium transistors? (besides e-Bay)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Source for germanium transistors? (besides e-Bay)

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Anybody have a good line on germanium transistors (obviously AF small signal types) that they would be kind enough to share? I don't blame anyone if they want to jealously guard their sources.

Alternatively or in addition, how worried shuold I be about bidding on auctions for germanium transistors coming out of Europe, Russia, and/or China? Anyone get burned on one of these auctions?

Thanks!

Todd Wilcox

widdly
audio school graduate

Post by widdly » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

single_fin
alignin' 24-trk

Post by single_fin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:24 am

what qualities make germanium transistors desirable? are there particular projects/applications that they're particularly useful in?

widdly
audio school graduate

Post by widdly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:10 am

They are pretty popular in Fuzz pedals for guitars because of the way they distort. It's probably the same reason they are not popular in many other applications.

I've seen Germanium diodes in the rectifiers driving lamps in optical compressors. I guess the voltage/current curve makes the lamp come on in a more gentle way than with a silicon. Maybe that would mean a softer knee in the compressor.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 am

I just had to buy some germanium diodes for a VU meter rectifying circuit. They have a lower voltage drop across them compared to standard silicon diodes (~.2V vs .7V). This translates to better meter resolution at lower VU levels. A .7V drop on a line level signal means that you really can't see any meter movement below about -15dB.

As far as germanium transistors go, I guess it's the distortion thing that people tend to like for certain applications. It's just a different sound than silicon.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 am

Wow! Smallbear is a great resource, thanks Widdly!

single_fin
alignin' 24-trk

Post by single_fin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:00 am

i'm not that happy with the fuzz pedal i recently built. i'll order some germanium transistors and see if that makes my casiotone sound like fella kuti's organ (not the one his 20 wives enjoyed, the other one.)

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:31 pm

single_fin wrote:i'm not that happy with the fuzz pedal i recently built. i'll order some germanium transistors and see if that makes my casiotone sound like fella kuti's organ (not the one his 20 wives enjoyed, the other one.)
Be aware that most germaniums are PNP, while silicon transistors can be either PNP or NPN. That impacts the polarity of the battery connection.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

single_fin
alignin' 24-trk

Post by single_fin » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:35 am

brianroth wrote:
Be aware that most germaniums are PNP, while silicon transistors can be either PNP or NPN. That impacts the polarity of the battery connection.

Bri
thanks for that tip. you saved me some wasted hours.