ART Pro VLA being replaced by Pro VLA II?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

ART Pro VLA being replaced by Pro VLA II?

Post by channelcat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:13 pm

So the Pro VLA II was just released, and I was searching for pricing on it this morning. I noticed that a few places were blowing out the original for a little under $200. And then I noticed that most of these places only had one left in stock. I'm guessing that ART is about to discontinue the original, so if you've been wanting to pick up one of these I suggest you do it soon. I went ahead and got the last one from zZounds (at @ half the price of one of the new mk IIs).

On a completely different note, I picked up a MCA SP-1 last week for $40 from www.pssl.com. When they called to confirm the order, I asked the sales rep about how many they have in stock. He said they have about 60 left. So again, if you've been wanting to pick up one or two of these to mod, you may want to do it sooner than later.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 pm

So, it's still starved plate, or am I missing something??
(I'm happy with my V I, just curious..)

These are the differences between the Pro VLA and the Pro VLA II:

1. Enhanced Link mode
In link mode, CH1 output control acts as a master output level and CH2 becomes a Balance control. This optimizes the Pro VLA II for use as a mastering processor.

2. Active balanced outputs. The Old VLA has balanced outputs that have 6dB more gain than when using them in the unbalanced mode. This shows up as an error when using the VU meter to compare the input and output level.

3. Led output meter.
a. Always monitors the output level allowing the user to view Both input and output levels at the same time. b. LED meter indicates Both average level plus Peak hold.

4. Attack and Release knobs vs. switches. The Old version has switches that allow the user to adjust the attack time between Fast (~1mSec) and Normal (~10mSec). The release switch can be set to normal (200mSec) and Auto (program dependant, but rather long an average).
a. Attack time as ranges from .25mSec to 50mSec b. Release time ranges from 0.15Sec to 3Sec. (This is program dependant at shorter release rates). c. Improved detector that lowers low frequency distortion at fast release rates.

5. Improved package
a. Rounded front panel machined to countersink all knobs and level meters. b. Re-enforced ears. c. Led lit switch caps. d. Heavier chassis and cover ruggedized for longer life on the road.

6. Lower noise.
a. +4dBu/-10dBv mode switch optimizes the unit for Pro OR consumer operating system levels. b. Toroidal transformer reduces mechanical and electrical hum. c. Tweaked Tube circuit for better dynamic range. d. Increased transformer shielding.

7. Increased ranges on Threshold and Output gain. This allows the user a wider range of operation.
a. Old threshold = -20 to +15, New Threshold range = -30dB to +20dB. b. Old Output gain max = +10dB, New output Gain = +20dB

8. LED lit VU meters. No more dark meters due to blown out bulbs.

9. All of the pots have detents.
a. Imparts a more professional feel. b. Makes settings more repeatable.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:17 pm

those are all awesome modifications.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm assuming it's still starved plate. They did change out the stock tube according to their site; they went from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7.

All the modifications seem really well thought out, but I can't justify paying almost twice as much for the mk II; I'm not taking it out on tour, nor am I using it for mastering.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:44 pm

*waits to see what it streets for before failing to purchase one either way*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:45 am

RefD wrote:*waits to see what it streets for before failing to purchase one either way*
Sees yellow rain falling on festivities, swears never to lend pristine u.s. made hexagon screw faced early serial numbered vla to ReffyD regardless of wheedling, begging..groveling. :lol:

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:56 am

Well..at least ART came back with a " tried and trued ' product that works decent. Not just build something ( crap) from scratch just to keep up with the times.. ( ie a digital VLA... :wink: )..YMMV

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:30 am

Wow. Those ARE some great improvements. I guess a switchable high-pass in the detector will remain on my wish list, but these are some good things. I'l have to get my hands out one to check out. Any idea of street price?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:32 am

that looks really useful to me... I have been jonesing for some stereo compressors... that looks pretty great... having attack and release knobs with detents is GREAT.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:01 am

I'd like to hear it that's for sure.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:04 pm

shedshrine wrote:
RefD wrote:*waits to see what it streets for before failing to purchase one either way*
Sees yellow rain falling on festivities, swears never to lend pristine u.s. made hexagon screw faced early serial numbered vla to ReffyD regardless of wheedling, begging..groveling. :lol:
i'm not pissing on anything, i'm just usually broke is all! :wink:

having two kids and one income tends to do that to ya.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:09 pm

RefD wrote:
shedshrine wrote:
i'm not pissing on anything, i'm just usually broke is all! :wink:

having two kids and one income tends to do that to ya.
Growing your own rythym section, excellent!

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:20 am

cgarges wrote:Any idea of street price?
Hey Chris!

I only saw it listed on one site so far (music123.com) for $379.

Let me know when you're going to be in the greater Homewood/Flossmoor area again. I'll treat you to a pizza over at Aurelio's.

Oh, and my Pro VLA just showed up; free shipping and it still showed up 48 hours after ordering it online. I'm glad I didn't waste $12 on 2nd-day delivery.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:17 pm

channelcat wrote:
cgarges wrote:Any idea of street price?
Hey Chris!

I only saw it listed on one site so far (music123.com) for $379.

Let me know when you're going to be in the greater Homewood/Flossmoor area again. I'll treat you to a pizza over at Aurelio's.

Oh, and my Pro VLA just showed up; free shipping and it still showed up 48 hours after ordering it online. I'm glad I didn't waste $12 on 2nd-day delivery.

Stu
Hello. Did you just get the VLA II..? I went on the ATR site and I like the new look! Maybe it'll sound "new" also... I may want one.... 8)

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:21 pm

snatchman wrote:Hello. Did you just get the VLA II..? I went on the ATR site and I like the new look! Maybe it'll sound "new" also... I may want one.... 8)
No, I opted for the original. Like I said above, I don't really need all the new bells and whistles. And with the price drop at a few places, I really couldn't resist getting one. Plus, the money I saved will go into new tubes for it (and maybe a sticker to cover the ART logo - hehe).

Too many times I've missed out on something I've really wanted because it was on the verge of being discontinued and I didn't act fast enough. Not this time, and especially not at under $200. Now granted, it hasn't been relegated to the discontinued section of their website yet, but I don't doubt that it will be there soon.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer