OSX Based DAW on Non-Apple Hardware?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

OSX Based DAW on Non-Apple Hardware?

Post by tubetapexfmr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 pm

I tried tacking this question onto my previous Linux post but it should have it's own thread.

I am curious if anyone out there has or can link to information on OSX86 based DAWs. A google search failed to come up with what I'm looking for. I want to know how possible an OSX86 based (non-Apple hardware) DAW is these days purely as a proof of concept. Again, I will state my reasoning behind this question isn't to promote circumvention of the EULA, but more a bit of curiosity on my part as to how close pro apps are to running in the OSX86 environment. I am curious mostly because I think it is only a matter of time before a version of OSX is released for non-Apple hardware officially. Any and all comments are welcome as long as you are not scolding me for the dubious current legal state of such an OSX86 based setup.

judecca
takin' a dinner break

Post by judecca » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Our studio is considering building an intel mac from scratch (well, it wont actually be an apple, since we are designing and constructing it) and running osx86 and digital performer. There is some info already out there on this...check out www.unicornation.com for threads relating. Also check this out:

http://www.osx86.theplaceforitall.com/howto/

If we go ahead with the build, I'll be posting our results with a list of what worked and what didn't.

Ryan
"what burns metal, burns hands"

Tonelab Studios
Advanced Audio & Lighting Systems
ryan@tonelabstudios.com
www.tonelabstudios.com

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:41 pm

Yes, cool post updates. I just bought an old G4 MDD for light office work and storage of my old PATA drives, but I also am working on getting an old PowerMac G5 case and building my own hacky from scratch. I see lots of info about people running Photoshop and iTunes on OSX86, but very little about Pro Audio or Firewire based sound cards specifically. I plan to use the new MOTU 828 mk3 once I get one so Firewire is as important to me as software issues before I think it sa viable system.

Jesse