Worldwide music sales down again

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:09 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Anyway.... I'm kinda starting to feel bad now... Maybe we shouldn't be making fun of you. But, you certainly don't make it easy to resist.
why not?

i mean, "debateguy" obviously revels in this sort of thing or else he wouldn't persist.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:26 am

RefD wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:Anyway.... I'm kinda starting to feel bad now... Maybe we shouldn't be making fun of you. But, you certainly don't make it easy to resist.
why not?

i mean, "debateguy" obviously revels in this sort of thing or else he wouldn't persist.
I'm just thinking that maybe he's "legitimately" disabled...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:22 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
RefD wrote:
why not?

I'm just thinking that maybe he's "legitimately" disabled...
it might be self-inflicted, tho.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:32 pm

ballpein wrote:Everyone knows that a band who can't come up with 15 or 20 grand to professionally produce and master an album doesn't deserve to be heard, or even call themselves musicians. After all, it's a well documented historical fact that until mankind developed modern recording techniques, humans barely had a concept of "music" beyond banging rocks together and crude, atonal grunting.

Lately, though, a lot of so-called "musicians" have been cheating us all by producing records on the cheap and even having the gall to distribute themselves! Some of these poseurs will even try to tell you that music is not about polished production or technical merit, but about "an artistic experience shared amongst community". This is, of course, the very basest form of hucksterism, a malicious lie that threatens to send us all back to the grunting, rock-banging dark ages our grandparents suffered through in the days before Dolby Noise Reduction was invented.

Obviously, what this all means is that real, legitimate music gets lost amidst the sea of under-funded crap these so-called "indie musicians" are flooding the market with.

Take, for example, the under-performing sales of the most recent Britney Spears album. With a production budget in the high six figures, this is obviously a highly legitimate recording, and any gifted engineer with a developed ear for legitimacy will tell you that, based on the mastering alone, this album should have gone multi-platinum. And yet, sadly, it has not - some would even say it has flopped, thanks in large part to all the unwashed, knuckle-dragging neanderthals who "record" "music" on meager budgets in "basement studios" and "distribute via community."

And who is the real loser in this sad story? It's not Britney, and it's not the Record Labels. It is all of us, the music-consuming public, who suffer, for we have lost our way, we've been seduced by the indie hucksterism, and we no longer know a legitimate record when we hear one. Frankly, we don't deserve Britney.

Our community has to mobilize if there's any hope of fighting this scourge. Write your congressman and demand full budget disclosure on all album covers! Just say no to regional "music scenes" and tell your friends it ain't cool to go to "gigs" that aren't in colosseums and/or don't have beer sponsors! And above all, always remember, "if it ain't charted, it's crap!"
I'd like to see this carved into a stone monument of the death of the music industry. This is a brilliant piece o'writing...