Removing the can cap in an amp...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Removing the can cap in an amp...

Post by mrdazobee » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:01 pm

I am having a bit of trouble removing the speaker from my vibrochamp.I am trying to replace the stock speaker with a new weber.The problem is the speaker is stuck behind the large silver can(marked Mallory),and it looks like I will have to remove it.I don't want to start pulling at it so was wondering the best way to remove it and if it is safe to do so?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Just unbolt the chassis and remove it! Then bolt it back in after the Weber is installed. Don't mess with the can caps.

EDIT: Hey you know what, I said that assuming the can was soldered in. In retrospect I'm sure it's socketed. Let an expert tell you what to do...but I would still probably take out the whole chassis, personally.

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:59 am

Is that safe to do for a novice like myself?I have heard there is danger of shocks tinkering around with the chassis?

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:03 am

In all of my tinkerings, I have never come across a socketed power supply cap can. I ain't saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it. Power supply caps can store a major charge, and I would have a hard time understanding why any manufacturer would make it that easy for someone to electrocute themselves.

Long story short, you should probably pull the chassis. Hell you would have to pull the chassis to desolder that cap can, so you are stuck with it no matter what. To do a half assed job of draining the caps, unplug the amp from the wall while it is on, connected to a speaker and not in standby. When you can no longer hear yourself strumming away, the caps have probably drained for the most part. I'm not intimately familiar with Vibrochamps, but most Fender chassis are held in place by about four chassis bolts. Remove them, carefully pull the chassis and set it down upside down so that you don't smoosh the tubes. Then get busy with your speaker replacement. Should be easy as pie. Good luck!
Ryan

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:27 am

So just to clarify,I pull the chassis which means no danger as long as I don't touch the large silver cap?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:51 am

Minimal danger if you don't reach in and touch anything inside the chassis. Anything that will be on the outside when the amp is completely assembled will be safe.

Generally you just remove the back panel from the cabinet, pull all the tubes (make sure you know which goes into which socket!), then remove the long screws that go from the top of the cabinet to nuts underneath the chassis. Then just pull the chassis out the back of the cabinet. Put the chassis top-down on a hard surface to keep anybody from touching the innards.

The usual disclaimer about safety and high voltage.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:30 am

OK then I'm not crazy. :oops: Pulling the chassis is pretty easy...they're built to be simple to service. Everybody's right, just don't touch the stuff inside the chassis. The outside of the metal can caps won't hurt you. Good luck!

Not sure where I got the socketed can idea from.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:16 am

Listen to Sco- the last thing you want to do is pull that power supply cap unless you can verify you have fully discharged it. The concequences of not knowing are UGLY .

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:51 am

here's a good resource about tube filter caps and discharging, etc...

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/caps.html

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks for all your help guys.I managed to swap out the speaker with no problems.Sounds great :D

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:55 pm

ledogboy wrote:In all of my tinkerings, I have never come across a socketed power supply cap can.
You must have never tinkered with a Leslie speaker, then.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:22 pm

b3groover wrote:
ledogboy wrote:In all of my tinkerings, I have never come across a socketed power supply cap can.
You must have never tinkered with a Leslie speaker, then.
You are correct, sir! I had somebody else work on mine, but you have piqued my curiosity, and now I'm going to have to poke around it.