I really hate recording on computers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

I really hate recording on computers

Post by the brill bedroom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:22 pm

I swear, it's the #1 thing that keeps me from actually accomplishing anything with music. Every aspect of it is so goddamn annoying and not fun. I so envy people who can actually create in digital realm. All
I ever try to do is use it like a multitrack recorder and it's still too much to deal with. I just give up and go do something else.

I just bought a brand new iMAc, super fast, huge amount of memory. i just bought a brand new M Box to update all my software. I just bought a sample library of really good drum sounds (EastWest's Fab Four) and a keyboard controller. i just spent, like, $2500 and all I'm trying to do is lay down a lousy demo drum track, a loop, anything just to demo a few news songs. The samples sound great, but i have no idea how to use them. I got a new iLok account and none of my plug ins will register correctly. Fucking nothing works, ever. I was even just going to do some basic loops in Garagband, just something to get started. For some reason, unlike every dickhead who has a mac at work and putzes around on garageband, my new version of ilife cam with no loops or instruments loaded. When i pull down the menu they are all gray and when i do the software update it suggests, i still don't get them.

I give up. I'm taking my acoustic down by the pond and anybody who wants to hear the songs can just come listen to them.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Weird.

I guess it's not a fair comparison. I've been building my own PCs since I was six and doing all sorts of computer nerd stuff far before I was doing audio nerd stuff.

but I really rarely if ever have issues with recording to computers. I love it. Install drivers, install DAW, and it works. On windows, no less.

With macs, I can use logic, so I don't even have to install 3rd party plugins.

IMO anyone who can't get a basic recording setup working on a mac of all things, idiotproof computers that they are, should go to a studio or hire an engineer, because it really doesn't get any simpler than this. Threads like this seem to pop up at least once a month in the comp section.. "I hate digital recording on PCs so many issues computers are multipurpose machines and complicate things I GIVE UP D:" blah blah blah. But it's not that difficult.

I love not having to deal with alignment and azimuth and fucked up card seating on A800s and being free to worry about the sounds, gain structure, and client comfort/satisfaction. I think it's kickass the flexibility I have.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm getting to hate certain aspects of recording on a computer myself...
and all my shit works pretty much all the time!

Uhhh... I do love the power when I want and need it, though. Kind of a paradox I
reckon. Having the option of mixing OTB keeps me sane. As far as your computer
stuff working, etc... Don't forget that one of the nicest things about using a computer
to record is that once you DO get all that shit working happily, your life in the studio
will reach a new level of power combined with reliability. So don't give up on getting
it set up right. And on the other hand, if you are killing yourself over and over for
months, trying to tweak it right and it never seems to happen... the force is telling
you something that you should pay attention to. Like buy a Radar or a tape deck...
or an ADAT......something!!!! Recording should feel musical and fun. If it is not
EVER those things for you, then you need to change your tools/methods and don't
worry about whether it's "smart" according to everyone else or not.

EDIT: just read the bottom of your post and saw that you have an 8 track. So
nevermind, you got that covered already..!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:05 pm

i like having "instant" rewind. :D

i know some people miss having that time to reflect on what they just put down, but it only ever allowed me to let my mind wander and get sidetracked.

the main thing i do miss is having a physical mixer and having all the processing be something i can actually put my hands on and futz with like another instrument.

maybe i can go OTB eventually...when i finally have the do re mi.

i think that might address some of what i miss.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:31 pm

Sounds like the problems you're experiencing all have solutions. Find out what folders your friends' Apple loops live in and just copy them to the corresponding folder on your mac. What are the specific issues with your iLok licenses?

It takes a while to overcome the technology enough to not have to think about it and just create, but it happens eventually. Find a way to make it work. Happy accidents are fun.

DJ Tanner
audio school graduate

Re: I really hate recording on computers

Post by DJ Tanner » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:26 pm

the brill bedroom wrote:The samples sound great, but i have no idea how to use them.
The computer is not the problem here.

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:53 pm

I might be biased because I'm also one of those people who's been using computers all their life, and it's my day job as well as a much more profitable freelancing career than engineering has been for me so far. But to me, it sounds like you dropped a bunch of cash on some computer recording gear, and neglected to budget in someone to help you learn it.

You'd get exactly the same effect if you set a kid who's never seen a cassette deck down in front of an Otari; hell, I had to learn tape in school, and I passed, but it would still take a lot of time and a lot of patience for me to run a session on one now. Computers don't engineer for you, and neither does tape.

Here's an example: I've got a friend who plays in a folk band with me. He's a real nice guy, good musician too, but he doesn't know much about audio. He wanted to get a home recording setup so he could practice harmony lines and stuff, so he goes out and picks up an MBox. This is a smart guy, he's a doctor when he's not playing music, but he never even got to the point of adding a new track. So he hires me to give him a tutorial on ProTools, and after a little over an hour he's got the gist of it. I saw him again a couple days later at a gig, and he's already multitracking and needs help on how to set up aux sends for reverb.

Moral of the story? The computer won't teach you how to record. You can spend $10,000 on software and hardware, but you'd probably have much better luck calling up a friend who is already doing what you want to do and having him help you.

Also, if you're using a keyboard controller, sample libraries, and loops, you are NOT trying to use it like a multitrack recorder.

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:43 pm

You know, I'm in the same boat. I've pretty much had it. I've tried Sonar, Cubase/Nuendo, and Pro Tools -- and I hate all of them. And I'm not about to get a mac, either. I've been thinking of going back to an 8 track reel to reel, or even a cassette. The thing I dislike most about most software is your forced to spend alot of time learning some quirky little interface, or go to these forums with a bunch of geeky 15 year old kids arguing about who has a faster computer. And if you're stupid enough to pay for your software, you realize there are a million users who have pretty much every plugin/app imaginable and they didn't pay anything for it.
the brill bedroom wrote:I swear, it's the #1 thing that keeps me from actually accomplishing anything with music. Every aspect of it is so goddamn annoying and not fun. I so envy people who can actually create in digital realm. All
I ever try to do is use it like a multitrack recorder and it's still too much to deal with. I just give up and go do something else.

I just bought a brand new iMAc, super fast, huge amount of memory. i just bought a brand new M Box to update all my software. I just bought a sample library of really good drum sounds (EastWest's Fab Four) and a keyboard controller. i just spent, like, $2500 and all I'm trying to do is lay down a lousy demo drum track, a loop, anything just to demo a few news songs. The samples sound great, but i have no idea how to use them. I got a new iLok account and none of my plug ins will register correctly. Fucking nothing works, ever. I was even just going to do some basic loops in Garagband, just something to get started. For some reason, unlike every dickhead who has a mac at work and putzes around on garageband, my new version of ilife cam with no loops or instruments loaded. When i pull down the menu they are all gray and when i do the software update it suggests, i still don't get them.

I give up. I'm taking my acoustic down by the pond and anybody who wants to hear the songs can just come listen to them.

visible cow
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by visible cow » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:52 pm

Take your time. Computers are very helpful tools but they can also be a major pain. Read all of your manuals-twice- then give yourself some basic tasks to accomplish.

I've made MANY mistakes. (My first year w/ my mac was mixed in MONO-I'm an idiot). It's just part of the process.

But it's 2008 and computers are where it's at.....so just figure it out!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:37 am

DJ Tanner wrote:
the brill bedroom wrote:The samples sound great, but i have no idea how to use them.
The computer is not the problem here.
Mradyfist wrote:Also, if you're using a keyboard controller, sample libraries, and loops, you are NOT trying to use it like a multitrack recorder.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:19 am

Alex Netick wrote:You know, I'm in the same boat. I've pretty much had it. I've tried Sonar, Cubase/Nuendo, and Pro Tools -- and I hate all of them. And I'm not about to get a mac, either. I've been thinking of going back to an 8 track reel to reel, or even a cassette. The thing I dislike most about most software is your forced to spend alot of time learning some quirky little interface, or go to these forums with a bunch of geeky 15 year old kids arguing about who has a faster computer. And if you're stupid enough to pay for your software, you realize there are a million users who have pretty much every plugin/app imaginable and they didn't pay anything for it.
I'll tell you what... as far as this 35 year old computer AND analog tape user is concerned, I can tell you that I have absolutely no sympathy for some moron who can't figure out his cracked software. I'll take a mental note that you're a thief (and kind of an ass) and remember never to offer you help on this board.

As for the original poster, patience is the key. There's tons of help available on this board. Just be patient and ask very specific questions and you'll find all the help you need.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:25 am

It's on thing for a mediocre singer/songwriter/hobbyist beatmaker to use some cracked shit for their own project they're never going to distribute.

It's another to get the stuff with the intention of making money off of it, not pay for it, and complain about it.. that's nerve.

Oscar Wilde

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:30 am

It's really a "to each his/her own" situation. When I started recording myself, I bought the 'ol 424. Had a lot of fun and a lot of struggle. Then I found what was then called something like "Logic Fun" (I can't remember what it was called, but it was a free version of Logic, kind of like an earlier version of garage band). As soon as I had that, recording became a lot more run and a lot less hassle. Personally, I love recording on the mac, and I'm a fucking geezer compared to most on this board (41).

I think to the OP, the advice of patience is the best. You have a perfectly functional system that will yield great results. While I'm a logic user still, I've always liked the easy-ness of PT. Maybe get a friend to come over and in exchange for a nice bottle of maker's mark or their poison of choice help get you going?

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:01 am

And just to be clear, in case anybody starts reading in the middle of this thread- none of my software is cracked or stolen, I've paid for it all.

I was just in such a bad place last night when I wrote that. This morning, with a clearer head, perhaps I can expound in a way that will actually be constructive.

I'm 39 years old, have been recording and playing for over 25 years. I make a living as a professional musician and I've worked on many, many albums as a player, singer, writer or in some other capacity. I generally really appreciate what digital recording offers (no need to get into that whole discussion), but I get very frustrated when I bash up against my own limitations.

I had essentially sorted out how to use pro tools to record (I always hire someone really good to mix), but have always been very envious of people who know how to use virtual instruments and samples to make music. I'm kind of a singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar kind of guy, but i actually listen to a lot of electronic music and it's exactly like when I was a kid and was in awe of someone being able to play a Les Paul through a Marshall. It drives me crazy that i don't know how to do that and I seem to have a real block in that regard. I really should take some courses.

I may have made the mistake of trying to upgrade my pro tools rig and take the first tentative step into using samples at the same time. Of course, there's a learning curve to anything, and I guess I'm just overwhelmed by it. I think I just need a sherpa to guide me through a few things. But, it's not just me, right? Do you all find Digidesign to be really annoying at times? You have to register your product (perfectly reasonable), but then register separately for a "my digi" account and a 3rd time to use the forums. Maybe I should have tried Logic or something.

Here are a couple of practical questions if anyone feels like advising:

1) None of my audiosuite plug-ins are authorized (the ones that came with my new M Box) and I don't how to do it. I'm taking about Bomb factory, the Moog stuff, the Meekqualizer, The Fairchild and Pultec plug ins). I registered everything with Digidesign, got a new iLok and registered that. The iLok site says I have no new licenses to download. how do I get Digi to send those authorization codes? how does that work?

2) could anyone point to some good basic information on how to use pro tools as a sequencer? Essentially, I bought this Fab Four sample library and I just want to take some baby steps and use it to do a drum track. It could even be a loop, but i don't know anything about using loops in pro tools. I do know a little bit about how to use it like a soft synth, but it's really the Ringo drum sounds I'm after.

Thanks for any help you all can offer.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:36 am

Re computer troubles, a couple nuggets that might help poster(s) above:

1. The new imac (what the original poster got) is causing trouble for several audio users, apparently due to apple changing the firewire chipset. More info here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... 007-a.html

2. Hearsay: The latest Mac operating system (Leopard) does not always play nice with Pro Tools. The audio person who told me this seemed to think those two together are a bad idea. I don't know, I'm not a Mac dude.

Hope this is helpful.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra