ribbon damaged in ribbon mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

ribbon damaged in ribbon mic?

Post by death by chandelier » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:42 pm

Hello.

My ShinyBox 46 is unmodded and has been a pleasure to record with. I just used it recently and it did not sound too good. I decided to open it up and this is what I found.

If you look at the pics the ribbon does not appear to be broken. But it has sag and is a bit twisted. It looks like the "foil" covering the magnets is peeling off and has caused the ribbon to twist/sag."

What is the stuff on the magnets? Could I carefully remove it and tighten the ribbon, or does there seem to be something more serious going on here?

Thanks for any help.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:19 pm

40 or so posts down the 'DIY Gear' page:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 6&start=30
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:26 pm

that ribbon test vid is a 404 now.

so death by phantom power?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Oops. Should have done a search.

My mic still passes signal but does not sound like it use to. I'm not getting any distortion. Also, looking at the guts of the mic there are not any charred parts. I've never knowingly ran 48V through it (I know - that's what they all say :roll: ).

I'd forgotten about fum posting here - with him being Mr. ShinyBox. At the end of the above thread link he said that the peeling magnets was a defect. I'll contact him (guess I should have to begin with).

Thanks.

Marik
gettin' sounds

Post by Marik » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:27 pm

I'd directly contact Jon at ShynyBox. He has an excellent customer service and I am sure would take care of the problem.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:25 pm

i love a (potentially) happy ending!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:02 pm

I had the same problem in mine. I ended up taking the magnets out and removing all that shiny foil with a dremel and a wire wheel. Then I re-ribboned it. Sounds great now.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:30 pm

man, that's workin way too hard. :D If you bought it from me, isn't it easier just to send it back and have me fix it ( I sent a message to Andy who started this thread already, should be able to get him sorted straight away)?

Regards

ju

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:28 am

fum wrote:If you bought it from me, isn't it easier just to send it back and have me fix it
Definitely, but I have this strange need to take apart everything I own, especially my audio stuff. I wanted to try my hand at re-ribboning something anyway, and this was the perfect opportunity.

I just took a quick inventory and I don't own a single piece of audio gear that I haven't either opened up to clean, soldered something inside, or completely built from scratch. That's including cables, guitars, keyboards, control surfaces, mics, monitors, tape machines, and all my outboard gear. :shock: