hamptone vs sebatron

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

hamptone vs sebatron

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:59 am

hamptone hvtp2 vs. sebatron vmp 2000e

in the very unlikely event that anyone tried/owns both these units, if some light could be shed on how they compare, that would be great..

basically i'm interested in knowing if the sebatron sounds as big as the hamptone..and whether or not the hamptone is as forgiving (assuming the sebatron is as forgiving as i've read/been told before)...

i don't need a shitload of detail as much as i need character and bigness (the all too clich?: larger than life feel)...

if i got the hamptone idd most likely get the jfet too cause i love the damn hamptone looks and could use 2 more channels of pres with a little more gain...if not, the sebatron it is, and eventually a chameleon labs 7602 or something like that...

honestly, i'm leaning towards the hamptone, i'm just worried that it might have little more detail and be a little more clean that i really need it to be.

thanks in advance for any opinions...

ps. if anyone has one of these for sale, feel free to PM me...

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:03 am

Sorry, no sebatron expererience, but I have the Hamptone JFET. It's clean in its lower range, and it gets a lot thicker the harder you drive it. You can run the first channel through the second to really exploit this.
Of course, I also like the 388 and the vla, so you'd better not listen to me.. :wink:

Did you ever get to plug your vla in? Did it give you what you were after?

M

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:17 am

hey man,

sure! plugged the vla (although i haven't given it much use yet) and i'm keeping the 388! as soon as i started messing around with the noise reduction as you sugested, things got a lot more rewarding!

btw, is the jfet very detailed?

i love the looks on these hamptones..
shedshrine wrote:Sorry, no sebatron expererience, but I have the Hamptone JFET. It's clean in its lower range, and it gets a lot thicker the harder you drive it. You can run the first channel through the second to really exploit this.
Of course, I also like the 388 and the vla, so you'd better not listen to me.. :wink:

Did you ever get to plug your vla in? Did it give you what you were after?

M

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 am

Sure, it's detailed, but it's a thick big detail, and when you drive it it gets thicker, and cascaded you can get beautiful distortion. Your into soloed acoustic guitar right? A decent mic and this will shine on that. Creature, just get it and be happy!!

Are you going to build the kit, or buy it assembled?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:45 am

Oh, and it drives ribbon mics beautifully, and it gets a lot of love for room mics, and the DI is killer, i love it on bass. etc. etc.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:53 am

that's what i'm afraid of..i really don't need a huge amount of detail...but i suppose this would be far from hardy/whatever detail level..

then there's that little detail yeah..i'dd have to find someone to build the them for me.. ;)
shedshrine wrote:Sure, it's detailed, but it's a thick big detail, and when you drive it it gets thicker, and cascaded you can get beautiful distortion. Your into soloed acoustic guitar right? A decent mic and this will shine on that. Creature, just get it and be happy!!

Are you going to build the kit, or buy it assembled?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 am

creature.of.habit wrote:that's what i'm afraid of..i really don't need a huge amount of detail...but i suppose this would be far from hardy/whatever detail level..
why are you so opposed to hearing the details? if you don't want to hear your tracks with lots of depth and detail, then the Hamptone may not be for you. i'm guessing something on the lower-end is more likely to sound lacking in that department. or use dynamic and ribbon mics, rather than high-end condensers.

i record through the tube Hamptone almost exclusively at home, and i can tell you that the are fantastic sounding preamps. if you hit it hard enough, the front end will compress and distort in a really nice way. you get that slight transient 'round-off' and lots of added harmonic distortion.

if you don't want that sound, then you just use the pad, and it's nice and clean, but not boring.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:47 am

creature.of.habit wrote: then there's that little detail yeah..i'dd have to find someone to build the them for me.. ;)
you can buy them assembled.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 am

I'm pretty sure Scott would adjust the components to mod its behavior to your liking..

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 am

Recycled_Brains

why are you so opposed to hearing the details? if you don't want to hear your tracks with lots of depth and detail, then ...use dynamic and ribbon mics, rather than high-end condensers.
Good point. Creature, have we ever steered you wrong? :D

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: hamptone vs sebatron

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:20 am

creature.of.habit wrote: i don't need a shitload of detail as much as i need character and bigness (the all too clich?: larger than life feel)...
Maybe you should just save up for a distressor? :shock:

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:43 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Recycled_Brains

why are you so opposed to hearing the details? if you don't want to hear your tracks with lots of depth and detail, then ...use dynamic and ribbon mics, rather than high-end condensers.
Good point. Creature, have we ever steered you wrong? :D
We try to steer him right, but sometimes he drives drunk...

I don't have to recommend the JFET to you again, diogo, you know where I stand. It's awesome!

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm

well, i want to hear detail, i just don't want to hear detail as i would if i was using something like hardy or a great river or whatever...as i've never tried and have no means to try the hamptone, i was curious if it was a pretty detailed (on the level of those mentioned) pre or not..

wether or not it sounds good is not really the question. i know the pres are stellar. i just want to figure out if they're what i'm looking for or not.

i suppose i need it to be forgiving, due to the room i'm recording in, the sound i'm going for, etc.
Recycled_Brains wrote:
creature.of.habit wrote:that's what i'm afraid of..i really don't need a huge amount of detail...but i suppose this would be far from hardy/whatever detail level..
why are you so opposed to hearing the details? if you don't want to hear your tracks with lots of depth and detail, then the Hamptone may not be for you. i'm guessing something on the lower-end is more likely to sound lacking in that department. or use dynamic and ribbon mics, rather than high-end condensers.

i record through the tube Hamptone almost exclusively at home, and i can tell you that the are fantastic sounding preamps. if you hit it hard enough, the front end will compress and distort in a really nice way. you get that slight transient 'round-off' and lots of added harmonic distortion.

if you don't want that sound, then you just use the pad, and it's nice and clean, but not boring.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:24 pm

sadly no, i can't afford it..
Recycled_Brains wrote:
creature.of.habit wrote: then there's that little detail yeah..i'dd have to find someone to build the them for me.. ;)
you can buy them assembled.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:26 pm

;)
shedshrine wrote:Good point. Creature, have we ever steered you wrong? :D