Where to find a Fender part no one carries?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Where to find a Fender part no one carries?

Post by thieves » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:06 pm

So I'm looking for some Fender Mustang Bass reissue tuners (http://www.fender.com/products//search. ... 0080160000) but no one carries them. Is there a place online where you can special order a Fender part if it exists? Why doesn't fender just have a store on their website?! So frustrating.

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:43 pm

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:48 pm

i did see those on ebay... i was hoping to spend the 60-ish dollars that a replacement jazz/p-bass set would cost new. i'm attempting to overhaul/customize a squier bronco and i'm not super fond of the tuning machines. perhaps i'll just have to live with them, though.

willowhaus
takin' a dinner break

Post by willowhaus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Something special about those tuners? Are they smaller than regular ones?

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:51 pm

yes, they're for a short scale bass and have a smaller footprint

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:01 pm

thieves wrote:'m attempting to overhaul/customize a squier bronco
Why?!?

You could probably buy a japanese mustang bass reissue for what it would cost to make a fender bronco an acceptable instrument.... and the mustang would still sound better!

If you're married to your bronco, you could always order the parts. I used to work a t guitar store, and I can tell you it will probably take a few weeks, but since it's such an esoteric part, you have precious few options.

willowhaus
takin' a dinner break

Post by willowhaus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 am

thieves wrote:yes, they're for a short scale bass and have a smaller footprint
Well, they might not be drop-in replacements, but perhaps these would work:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Bass ... uners.html

Maybe you could call them & ask if they're OK?

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:03 am

fossiltooth wrote:
thieves wrote:'m attempting to overhaul/customize a squier bronco
Why?!?

You could probably buy a japanese mustang bass reissue for what it would cost to make a fender bronco an acceptable instrument.... and the mustang would still sound better!

If you're married to your bronco, you could always order the parts. I used to work a t guitar store, and I can tell you it will probably take a few weeks, but since it's such an esoteric part, you have precious few options.
the funny thing is that i have a mustang bass too... are you not familiar with having a project guitar just for the love of tinkering with things?

on a side note, i was looking at the various parts on this bass and realized they just threw a strat pickup in these basses... which i guess will make it pretty easy to find a humbucking replacement.

also, after some consideration, i think the paint job and pickup replacement will be all i do to this bass for a little while. if i stumble upon some cool short-scale tuners or an old musicmaster bridge or something i might pick them up, but it's been fun enough to just tinker with the paint job and the pickup.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:57 am

thieves wrote: the funny thing is that i have a mustang bass too... are you not familiar with having a project guitar just for the love of tinkering with things?
Touch?!

I guess I just got tinkering with really cheap stuff out of my system a while ago, so I forgot all about it.

Nowadays, I want a return on my investment of time and money when it comes to tinkering, so I'd never think to tinker with something like a squier bronco.

But, hey if you're new to tinkering, or you have a lot of free time on you hands, I'm sure it could be a blast!

Have fun.

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 am

shit! we just sold our last set we had in stock yesterday to some dude in Germany. Wish I had spotted this earlier.

Well, Fender sucks to deal with, ie: they don't give us ETA's for parts. (How ridiculous is that!?!) But we've got more on order, however, no idea of when they'll arrive. If Fender has em in stock we should have them in about 2 weeks, if not, who the fuck knows....

Man I hate dealing with this crap. You know how old it gets to tell customers that we have no idea when their parts will arrive because the company we deal with can't give us any straight answers?!?

and as a side note, Fender is not the only one in the industry that does this, it's all over the place, and frustrating as hell. I'm assuming because there probably isn't a lot of money in parts vs. how much they make with selling amps and guitars.

anyway, give us a call in a few weeks if you still want them.

www.fenderparts.com
off somewhere listening.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:52 am

trask wrote:shit! we just sold our last set we had in stock yesterday to some dude in Germany. Wish I had spotted this earlier.

Well, Fender sucks to deal with, ie: they don't give us ETA's for parts. (How ridiculous is that!?!) But we've got more on order, however, no idea of when they'll arrive. If Fender has em in stock we should have them in about 2 weeks, if not, who the fuck knows....

Man I hate dealing with this crap. You know how old it gets to tell customers that we have no idea when their parts will arrive because the company we deal with can't give us any straight answers?!?

and as a side note, Fender is not the only one in the industry that does this, it's all over the place, and frustrating as hell. I'm assuming because there probably isn't a lot of money in parts vs. how much they make with selling amps and guitars.

anyway, give us a call in a few weeks if you still want them.

www.fenderparts.com
how much did they run last time you sold them? like i said, this is just an inexpensive tinkering project, so it's not a huge rush.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 am

oops, maybe i should check the site... $70... ouch

considering the bass itself cost me $120 new.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:57 am

trask wrote: Man I hate dealing with this crap. You know how old it gets to tell customers that we have no idea when their parts will arrive because the company we deal with can't give us any straight answers?!?

Ahh, I remember those days. I'm so glad I ditched the retail world after college.

Everything trask says is true.