$500 range preamps that arent starved plate

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:52 am

toaster3000 wrote:Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Pre is a true tube design....

j
A completely discrete, tube mic pre for under 250 dollars. Used correctly, it will give you years of service and tonal goodness. Used improperly, with crappy gear downstream, it will buzz and hum. used with the headphone foldback as the output, it will sound like the buffered IC based headphone foldback.

I dont know of another pre for under 500 dollars, never mind for under 250 dollars, that is completely discrete, and really a tube mic pre. not "discreet" like the word is thrown around all the time... but a real DISCRETE, meaning discrete components rather than integrated circuits... If you put a good transformer on the in and the out of an EH 12AY7 you would have a really killer mic pre that would interface better with any mic or any converter. The concession made (for a price point) was to build it into a pre existing form (the case was already made for pedals, duh), and to leave out the I/O xformers. When testing the prototypes, I wished that there were transformers in there, but it would have made the price more than DOUBLE what it wound up selling for. It is a great pre. If you racked them up and wrote "RCA" on the front, people wouldnt even question it. Just put some big knobs on the front and some xformers in the back of a 4U rack case with a pair of these pres inside. People will think they sound WAY better than the Electro harmonix pre... :twisted:

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:23 am

Peavey VMP-2 is in the $600.00-$750.00 range. Not a perfect pre, but a pretty dang nice one.

Feedback
ass engineer

Post by Feedback » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:21 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:Peavey VMP-2 is in the $600.00-$750.00 range. Not a perfect pre, but a pretty dang nice one.
I was just going to mention this much under loved pre. I got lucky and spent $500.00 for mine but it would probably be difficult to find one in that range now. Here is a link to an article about one if you wnat to see what one looks like, etc. Eight tubes in there...ya baby!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug99/a ... eyvmp2.htm

They also made an LA-2Aish compressor called the VC/L-2 which I also have. It doesn't suck either....