Whatcha gonna buy with your Economic Stimulus Check?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Whatcha Gettin?

Guitar
11%
Mic
25%
Preamp
11%
compressor
No votes
software
7%
computer upgrade
11%
patchbay
No votes
Booze/Drugs/Purple-Knurple-Durple
36%

Total votes: 28

mrclean
pushin' record

I've been laughing...

Post by mrclean » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:46 am

I've just enjoyed hearing people say the "Bush Stimulus Package"
-- mrclean

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:00 am

let's not drown the thread about the Economic Stimulus Package in politics? that's like saying "let's keep that water from getting wet!" :D

i'm putting it towards a laptop for my little sis cause she's going to college this year! That is, if i actually get it, and if bread does't cost $1,000 a loaf by then.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:23 am

If I have enough left over after catching up on bills, the BL Sparrow AD/DA. If not, probably some cheaper pres and/or mics.

doyoucompute
pluggin' in mics

Post by doyoucompute » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:05 am

I am confused about this plan. It says people who didn't pay income tax would get 300 dollars? Who doesn't pay income tax?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 am

people who don't make enough money to pay income tax?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

doyoucompute
pluggin' in mics

Post by doyoucompute » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:19 am

Smitty wrote:people who don't make enough money to pay income tax?
You mean like pay income tax you owe at the end of the year? I was thinking of the income tax that is taken out of your paycheck.

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:23 am

well first off everyone, don't get too excited, because senate has yet to come up with a plan. even when they do, the bill can't get to the white house until both the house and senate propose the same plan.

it's looking like they (senate) are wanting to add another 6 billion (being coined the baucus plan) to the previous congressional proposal of 150 billion. their reasoning is to adjust the brackets in favor of lower income situations. basically this amounts to an adjustment of $200 more on the bottom and $200 dollars less on top. ahhhh, the merry men live on...

now, once it gets to the white house they're is probably going to be some major adjustments since this entire excercise is feigning interest in low-income situations, what is to be expanded by the senate proposal will most likely be severly cut because in the real world, D.C. and all of it's constituents don't give a shit about the bottom.

now i have a tendency to go too far, but personally, forget whats on paper, because all these closet maoist conservatives are reagan-worshipers. keep in mind who cleaned up his mess, and who perpetuated it. here's to trickle down econ. everyone! :kotzen:

at least if you expect nothing, you can't be disappointed.

here's a calculator to get a roundabout estimate of your "stimulus check".
Stimulus calculator

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:36 am

*golf claps for knowing the process*

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:47 am

some will probably go to chicago mastering services and some will go to oasis cd manufacturing

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:48 am

some massey plug-ins.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:41 am

doyoucompute wrote:
You mean like pay income tax you owe at the end of the year? I was thinking of the income tax that is taken out of your paycheck.
Everyone who gets a paycheck has both income and payroll (FICA, Medicare) taxes deducted. The W2 at the end of the year tells you how much you've paid.

If your income is below a certain amount (poverty level or thereabouts), the amount of income tax (NB: not payroll taxes!) owed is near zero.

In all cases, the tax "rebate" is simply an advance on your tax refund. Come 1040 time, the advance will be subtracted from any refund you might be due. Of course, if you end up owing, you'll have to pay back the rebate.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 am

lotusstudio wrote::idea:REAL ESTATE :shock:
+1

Buying a house in Philly and using that "Bush Stimulus Package" to afford some of my first mortgage payment OR paying for some drywall/paint/furniture/703 for the new studio space that will be built inside.

Jeff

EDIT: Ok, if this new gig comes through plus the Bush Stimulating I may decide to purchase a shiny new pair of +$1000 monitors, like the A7s or something by Genelec.

Other than that, building a drum room in a row home.
Last edited by Jeff White on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:26 am

Andy Peters wrote:
doyoucompute wrote:
Everyone who gets a paycheck has both income and payroll (FICA, Medicare) taxes deducted. The W2 at the end of the year tells you how much you've paid.

If your income is below a certain amount (poverty level or thereabouts), the amount of income tax (NB: not payroll taxes!) owed is near zero.

In all cases, the tax "rebate" is simply an advance on your tax refund. Come 1040 time, the advance will be subtracted from any refund you might be due. Of course, if you end up owing, you'll have to pay back the rebate.

-a
If thats the case than whats the point?
I actually havent read anywhere that says its taken out of future tax refunds. If so it would be pretty much screwing 90 % of the folks that get em. Heres $1200, but next year we want it back.
On another note, during the Bush tax rebate, My taxes went from me owing about $300 at the end of the year, to me owing about $1200 at the end of the year. Exact same amount of money earned. It is really a credit to the secret service that this idiot is still alive.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBlubberRanch » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:58 am

Economic Stimulus my ass.
Bullshit.
I'm putting mine in the bank.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Investing it is wise. I just saw that the FED cut interest rates by another half of a percent this afternoon!!! WTF???
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord