If you could have only one stomp-box, which would it be?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:09 am

bobbydj wrote:Probably a Front Line delay
Were those the 70's pedals that came in shrink wrap?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Post subject: Re: If you could have only one stomp-box,

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:47 am

>Mojave_Gary< wrote:I would have to take the guts from my MXR Distortion Plus and integrate them into an Electro-Harmonix Smallstone so that I could have a DistortionStone Plus. I think i could live with that........for a while anyway.
maybe an ADA Final Phase would do the trick?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 am

mjau wrote:
bobbydj wrote:Probably a Front Line delay
Were those the 70's pedals that came in shrink wrap?
Y'know, I think they might have. But I must quickly say that the front line casings changed at least once. The earliest ones were really pretty dumb looking - and the delay had a blue plastic battery cover. Then they changed in the early '80s, to a more conventional casing, all black this time - across the range. The latter sounded much better. The former, however, had a considerably superior battery housing - it was on the front of the pedal rather than underneath. And it didn't have the terminals on piss thin wires. In fact, the terminals were integral and so could never break. A much better design. Shame about the sound of them, therefore.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:37 am

Only one because it's the most flexible? An original EH Triangle Knob configuration Big Muff Pi is the most flexible. With the gain rolled all the way back and the volume at about 75% it is a really clean boost. With the gain and volume up it sounds like my amp is melting.

Or only one because its the one I use the most? An original Ibanez TS808. It just sounds right. All the time but it really only does that one thing.

If tape echoes can be stomp boxes then the Roland SE-555 is what I use most for mixing.

But actually I CAN'T choose just one. I have a bit of a pedal problem...

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Have to go with the Maestro FZ-1b. It's the fuzz sound I always have in my head.

Andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Boss tuner or a Rat.

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:37 pm

Ernie Ball volume pedal.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:54 pm

DL-4

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:00 pm

memory man...hands down.

it does so much for me and it can be used it lots of places. i even like it as a drive pedal into my amps. mine is an old one, i've never bought or played a new one. do they sound pretty much the same? i fret for the day when it dies on me.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:08 pm

I should have mentioned the Boss Dual Overdrive... it's pretty practical. You can set the pedal up three ways--clean vs. distortion A, clean vs. distortion B, or to toggle between the two. Unfortunately, it's not a distortion I particularly care for on guitar. It did make my voice sound cool on the first couple of 4-track recordings I made, though.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Too many caveats in these responses. You can have ONE PEDAL, for anything you do (recording, playing live). I hate to say it, but I would go for a multi-effects thingy, maybe a Pod XT. I have a Pod 2.0 and you know, for playing around and recording, it's fun and useful. I think there's someone else around here who likes the zoom jobbies. As much as we disparage these puppies, I like 'em. Do I like my BYOC overdrive better than the overdrive on my Pod, sure, but...

lyle76
takin' a dinner break

Post by lyle76 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:51 pm

if we're talking one pedal only, then it has to be the TU2. If we're talking FX pedals, i sure like my new Fulldrive 2...
"meow" - a cat

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Its hard for me not to put a caveat in there. Back in the 80's 90's I was so broke I often didnt even have an amp and a cabinet at the same time, but I was always playing in at least 3 bands. Now I have assloads of gear, and can hardly get it together for one band!
But as I was saying, when I couldnt be sure what amp I was gonna use having my rat box (or dod OD1) gave me a known quantity. But hey, if it was a desert island situation, and I could have at least a 2 channel amp, then I'd be all about the moog. Delays are nice, but I can get so many crazy sounds of it. Specially with a CV pedal.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

>Mojave_Gary<
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Post subject: Re: If you could have only one stomp-box,

Post by >Mojave_Gary< » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:07 am

>Mojave_Gary< wrote:I would have to take the guts from my MXR Distortion Plus and integrate them into an Electro-Harmonix Smallstone so that I could have a DistortionStone Plus. I think i could live with that........for a while anyway.
If multi-pedal effects processor things are included in the allowable choices, then I would have to pick my POD XT Live because the damn thing is pretty flexible.
What the #*%@ is that BuZzInG sOuNd ??

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:24 am

vintage rat.

end of thread :shock:
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.