If you could have only one stomp-box, which would it be?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

If you could have only one stomp-box, which would it be?

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:26 am

If you could only have one stomp-box for your rig, what would it be? Sure, this might seem like the kind of thing that might wind up on that "other" message-board, but bear in mind that the best pieces of gear can be used in more than one fashion... I think the TapeOp crowd will have its own distinctive take on this one.

For instance, the right compressor (or even distortion) pedal might be usable on an aux send & then blended in with the original sound... or maybe it's a pedal which is useless on-stage but practical for studio use... or maybe it's just something that always winds up between your guitar and your amp because nothing sounds "right" unless that pedal's there.

Mine falls into that last category--the Charlie Stringer vari-tone pedal (aka the "Very-tone Dog" for trademark reasons). If I've got the gain controls on just about any amp set right, this pedal can be adjusted to add the right amount of saturation and crunch on demand. I use it in front of everything from my Silvertone Twin to my Princeton 112, and it almost always helps--I usually leave it on, and turn it off when I want the "special effect." My live sound wouldn't exist without it.

Others might include the Ibanez Modulation Delay and the Line 6 Tap Tremolo. I can't imagine either of these being very useful on stage, but I've used them both in some pretty weird places in the signal chain.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:33 am

Tubescreamer. Moded to 808 specs. I find that my Tele into the TS and my modded 1977 Super Reverb is just perfect for me.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:36 am

Fulltone Fulldrive 2

dirtdog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dirtdog » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:54 pm

This is actually an easy question for me to answer because I'm down to using only one pedal. The Z. Vex Super Duper 2-in-1. Two channel gain boost with a master volume on the second channel. My main tone is a little boost from the first channel. My louder/dirtier tone is the second channel cranked with the master volume rolled back just to where it reacts with my amp's preamp tubes the way I like it. My clean/quiet tone is turning both channels off. I love it.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:16 pm

i only use one pedal too: the boss dc-2 dimension c

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:09 pm

not exactly a stomp box, but the lexicon jamman (older rack version) has kept me happy for many years. nothing quite like playing with yourself.
and i always miss my tube screamer (w. the 3 knobs) that my bassists junkie girlfriend lifted from me. Will never forgive her for that........

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Memory Man; I use it almost every day on guitar or as a send or something for tracking or mixing. Great for getting a double tracked sound on vocals. It even has a nice drive for certain things.

2nd place: 1st generation Rat. It flatters every guitar-amp combo I have.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Zvex SHO. No doubt.

tweedclassic
ass engineer

big muff

Post by tweedclassic » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:12 pm

hmm i would have to say a Big Muff. oh want no i take that back. if i could only have one pedal maybe i should pick one that doesn't break every year.

Me " i love you Big Muff you just make my lack of guitar stills less obvious with your fat grungy sonic texture you add"

Big Muff "i am broken as usual. my little red light doesn't even work today"

Me "i am tired of fixing you"

Big Muff "i can't help it. it's my nature"

Me "some times i want to give up on you. then i remember how picky i am about my guitar tone"

Big Muff "no its more like you are too cheep. no wonder i keep breaking u fix me with freaking radio shack parts"

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Boss DD-3 Delay.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:11 pm

o hai i can haz moog ring mod? it r ovrdrive n chorussss
i am yr littl rodent frend

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Retroman Wolf Tone Machine...it's kind of the ultimate modern version of the Foxx Tone Machine complete with lower noise, true bypass and a footswitchable octave.

failing that, a Boss DD-3 (for totally different reasons, obviously).

EDIT: i have a Very Tone Dog as well, it totally rules on all sorts of electric instruments.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:21 pm

The Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube Classic. Learned about it right here on TapeOp, from this post:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ube#401339

I swear - it is the best, CLEAN yet warm, sparkly, etc. overdrive pedal I've ever tried.

In fact it's the only pedal I'm using now in front of my amp (late 60's Princeton). Great tone for recording. I urge all you tone-addicts to try it.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

kmacbeatle
ass engineer

Post by kmacbeatle » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:37 pm

Ibanez LF-7

Not sure if they ever caught on, and only cost $80ish, but they are great. Good, sharp distortion.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:04 pm

my boss dm-2.