Is it necessary to have pro tools HD to compete?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: feeding the demons

Post by knobtwirler » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:49 am

roscoenyc wrote: I'll hold up my hand and say the only thing good I ever said about SSL is that its a nice console if you want to make a record w/out ever getting your lazy ass out of your chair.

SSL, sure sounds lousy.....except for the J...... still sounds lousy:)
I like the cut of your jib. I'd probably be inclined to agree with you because in all SSL rooms you get an assistant that must wait on you hand and foot and will practically record and mix a record for you in fear of losing his or her job. Thankfully those days are over too.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:41 am

I've been struggling with the HD vs. non-HD for some time. I too don't like DIGI or their pricing tactics. My guess is that many, many of the other manufacturers feel the same way and would love to see this 'standard' for commercial studios disappear.

To that end, I am leaning very heavily towards an Apogee+ Symphony Logic set up. Logic is my preferred platform, and if Apple does to Digi what Final Cut Pro did to Avid in the film industry, it seems like a good choice for now.

There are too many other manufacturers (Neve, SSL) making products that work seamlessly with ANY DAW--not just PT. So I say take your DAW you are most comfortable with and make it work. Given Apple's strength as a company, my guess is that a Logic+? platform is a safe bet for the future but who knows?

To that end, who is using Logic + Ensemble out there? How does it measure up (sonically) to Symphony? (which I can't swing just yet).