I cut my finger. Anyone know about that New-Skin stuff?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

I cut my finger. Anyone know about that New-Skin stuff?

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:18 pm

I just sliced my left index finger open, and I'm right in the middle of tracking guitar leads. I'm working in my own studio, so I'm not paying for the time, but still I need to get this project done quickly.

I stuck New-Skin and a bandage over the whole fingertip, but I can't really play like this. Everything seems to be holding nicely, but I'm not sure how much to expect out of the New-Skin. Can I play guitar with it on there and expect it to hold? Does it work quicker than a regular band-aid?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:28 pm

ouch.

super glue?

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuperglue.html

i've used it for exploded blisters so i could still play upright bass... but never for 'wounds'...

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:14 pm

new skin is basically anti-septic super glue. i've used both ... on camping trips, and at work as a cook and bartender. new skin is badass. whether it will work for a fretting finger totally depends on how bad the cut is. if you're having a hard time stopping the bleeding, you might just have to simplify the guitar line to avoid that finger. but i've used the stuff with great success on smaller wounds. try this:

clean the wound first with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. apply a THIN layer of the stuff and taper it out to the skin around the wound using the brush. keep the finger moving as you blow it dry. make sure it is really dry before giving it another coat. repeat and apply 2 more layers. tapering it seems to help it stick and flexing the finger makes sure that it conforms to a broader range of motion and won't crack as easily. multiple layers are necessary to make it strong, but it has a point of diminishing returns - you don't want to make it too thick or it gets brittle and cracks easily.
Bipolar Production

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:40 pm

How about getting a friend to cut the tracks for you?
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:33 pm

I've had to use superglue in that situation a bunch before. You do wear through it pretty quickly though... worth a try.

-J

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm

It's gonna be a day or two before I can play, if even then. And that's *with* the New-Skin. Fortunately, I have enough stuff to fill a couple days.

Wish I'd known about this the last time I had drummer's blisters on my thumbs, though...
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:00 pm

i found that new skin will last about an hour or two for cut/cracked fingertips.

it still hurts through the new-skin, though, but at least it isn't getting any worse.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:41 am

you oughta know that new skin seems to slow down recovery. when you don't need it on to play, peel it all off, clean it, hit it with neosporin and slap a bandaid on it. new skin works as a barrier/sealer, but doesn't let the wound breathe ...

i should also mention, in digression, my favorite sneaky trick for burns. i learned this working in kitchens. immediately after the burn, find an egg, crack it, dump the yolk/white and peel the skin off the inside of the shell. get the biggest piece possible and cover the burn with it. blow it dry and it should stick to the skin. leave it on as long as possible. the nutrients existing for the benefit of the baby chick work wonders on burnt skin. i've never had a burn heal so fast.
Bipolar Production