Drums with dynamics only

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:56 am

cgarges wrote:
bradb wrote:i guess the core of my question is... are condensers on drums a paradigm that can be re-thought with good outcomes?
What sort of paradigm? I'm totally confused by that question. I record drums with nothing but condensers most of the time. That's not to say that I won't use dynamics or anything, but what does using one type of mic have to do with any sort of paradigm?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I'll agree. I use condensers on drums all the time specifically overs, kick and snare. if the drummer is good and doesn't hit evrything in sight, then I'll slap some UM70's on the rack toms and a Sony C-38 on the floor tom. Most of the time I prefer condensers on drums.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

mdavenue
audio school graduate

Post by mdavenue » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:28 am

I'm a fan of a 58 on the floor tom. It seems to bring out low-end resonance, and the proximity effect minimizes the ride or other close cymbals.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:34 pm

The only thing I have to add is me experiencing the same thwackiness of the kick drum that an earlier poster mentioned w/ 635a's as OH's.

I always try to use these shure 535's for OH's and decide not to because of that thwackiness. Otherwise I like the less detail and more isolation they provide. I havn't tried any large diaphram dynamics as OH though. Maybe I should.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:00 am

Fat Head and the Red 012 capsule in mid-side has recently revealed my best drum sound that I have ever gotten and it really works well in my room. Other mics? No. Just those 2 through the Sytek BBs. It's a really Stones-y room-y sound, but still has tons of punch because of the speed of the Sytek. I wouldn't go overdubbing 12 chunky guitars over it!

Seems that there is a dynamic mic revolution out there though, just look at Heil. I have a PR30 and it isnt a perfect all around, but it is pretty damn kick ass on what it is good at. We just saw a crapload of cheap chinese ribbons, and before that it was cheap chinese condensers, maybe dynamics are next!!

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly