NS-10 advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JeremyTappero
audio school graduate

NS-10 advice

Post by JeremyTappero » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:58 am

Checked the search, didn't see anything so...

I'm wondering what you NS-10 users are using to power your speakers. I've had a pair of 10s forever, I never really used them (thinking I liked my 824s better) But after a recent session with a mixer I've been inspired to get into the Yamaha's.

Right now I have a Alesis RA-100 (it was 60 bux what can I say) Ready to get more out of the speakers, so what do you think?

Thanks in advance

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:14 am

I'd get something from a reputable hi-fi brand. Parasound, Rotel, NAD, Bryston, all make good stuff. Low noise low distortion low crosstalk and passively cooled. Also quality in manufacturing. 20 year old brystons and parasounds still work.

I'd avoid adcom. They have a tendency to blow up easy.

p.s.

there are several threads on this already.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:47 am

I bought a Hafler P3000 off of ebay to power my NS-10Ms and it arrived busted (sucks). I've been using a vintage (1976) Pioneer SX650 receiver. Laugh if you must, but it's doing a great job so far until I can either find another power amp or get the P3000 repaired.

I have heard nothing but great things about the Adcoms, btw.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:22 pm

I think the Halfers, like Krks need to be divided into the early good stuff, and the later GC "monthly madness" regulars. heck I havent even seen any haflers for sale new in a while. But a few years ago they were constantly on sale, and always part of package deals with lamer MI-geared "studio" monitors.

That all said, a brewery I used to work at used an old Hafler to power the house sound system, for rocking while you brew/bottle. Apparently one of the owners had a little studio in one of the offices there, after the brewery took off he had no time to make music so it got repurposed. It ran at least 14 hours a day at full blast no problem. Sounded great too!

About the Adcoms, I seem to recall that certain models have more problems than others. Something about the lack of short circuit and other protection is both why they sound good and why they blow up. Also they are all unbalanced are they not?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:47 pm

I use an Adcom GFA-545 II, which is suppose to be less desirable than the GFA-545, but it was a really good deal so I bought it anyway. Adcom GFA-535, 545, and 555 seem to match well with NS-10s from what I've heard.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:44 pm

adcom sounds great and they're powerful but they blow up easy. for no reason, too.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:56 pm

Lots to choose from. Years ago, the best I heard was an H&H, but it was way before I had my mix ears (probably still in search of those anyway).

Hafler Pro 5000 would be good. Studer would be good. Bryston would be good. Crown would be good. Alesis would blow chunks. Cheap Haflers would leave you wanting more.

ultravioletray
pluggin' in mics

Re: NS-10 advice

Post by ultravioletray » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:08 pm

I have a Hafler DH-220 power amplifier for my NS-10s. Got it for about $170 off ebay. I'm digging what comes out of them. Rockin' like Dokken.

dAve
"Forever Alive; Forever Forward."
Walt Whitman

http://sunset7studio.com
http://davehollinghurst.com

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm running a Bryston 2B. It's unbalanced but sounds fine. The only thing I've consistently heard about NS-10s is that it's vital to WAY overpower them. Just remember not to blow them the hell up.... or at least fuse the things

-marc alan goodman

zulu sound
takin' a dinner break

Post by zulu sound » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Crown D-75A

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:48 pm

JeremyTappero wrote:I'm wondering what you NS-10 users are using to power your speakers.
Ages ago, when I had NS-10s, I drove them with a McIntosh 2100. (Solid-state, if you don't know.) It worked well. The person to whom I sold the NS-10s hooked 'em up to ... a McIntosh 2100.

I still have the amp, although it sits in a closet because I have a pair of Genelecs. It's for sale, if anyone cares.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm pushing my NS-10M's with an older Hafler amp / pre amp combination I picked up at a garage sale for $35. Its the Hafler XL-280 model with the 110 pre amp. I also switch to a pair of Polk Audio 5jr's for comparing mixes. The polks helps me dial in the higher frequency stuff.
What do YOU create?

zulu sound
takin' a dinner break

Post by zulu sound » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:06 am

Hey Andy, PM me and let me know what you want for the 2100. If it's a good enough deal I might be into it.

Thx,
Evan
Andy Peters wrote:
JeremyTappero wrote:I'm wondering what you NS-10 users are using to power your speakers.
Ages ago, when I had NS-10s, I drove them with a McIntosh 2100. (Solid-state, if you don't know.) It worked well. The person to whom I sold the NS-10s hooked 'em up to ... a McIntosh 2100.

I still have the amp, although it sits in a closet because I have a pair of Genelecs. It's for sale, if anyone cares.

-a