Line 6 GearBox Plug-In Gold Bundle For $149.99

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Line 6 GearBox Plug-In Gold Bundle For $149.99

Post by Catoogie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Anyone have any experience with these? Any good? How many tracks can I use this on at once? Can I have Neve 1073's on 10 tracks?

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:32 pm

just got mine yesterday-- i'm setting up a new computer, so i'll try to post some impressions once i get everything up and running.
i would note though that i've read that this is an end of life sale for the gold and silver bundles, so if you're interested, get 'em while they are
________
Mb100
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:47 am

I have a Tone Port UX2 and I think all the mic pre models sound pretty good if a little artificial. The Neve model sounds like it has a tiny bit of delay or something to try and make it sound bigger. It gets wooly in a wierd way too, but I've used it with success. Depends on the mic too. The guitar and bass amp models are as good or better than any I've heard.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:36 am

Mine should be hear today. For the price I think it's a no-brainer really. You get all of the guitar and bass amps and effects that are in the PODxt, Bass PODxt and the Vetta. PLUS you get six modeled mic preamps. $150

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:26 pm

I just ordered this too. I can't pass it up for $150 for all the line six stuff. I don't expect much from the non guitar plugs included, so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised?
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:36 pm

There was a big fuss amongst owners of toneports when they first launched the plug-in version of this thing and it cost $300 or whatever. The people with the hardware toneports felt slighted that they were having to pay $300 for the tones they had already purchased just to be able to use them as a plug in (allowing them to finally re-amp).

I bought the toneport UX2 before the plug in was released and am happy with all the tones and models and interface, including the bass and vocal tones. Some of the effects are great (delay and modulation in particular)Where it fails (IMHO) is in the high gain guitar department where things tend to sound a bit fizzy and thin. I found I could get better high gain tones using a pedal in front of the toneport on "clean" amp model than I culd from using the high gain amp models or their built in "distortion" effect models.

Im just a home recordist tho... it might not be up to snuff for you pros...but it works great for what i do.

every instrument and all vocals on my myspace recordings were put thru gearbox models. the fourth song has heavy guitar done as i described above with the pedal being a boss fz2. mic used for vocals was a cheapo mxl990. I dont know shit about mixing or compression or any of that stuff so if it sunds bad...maybe blame me and not the gearbox :)
http://www.myspace.com/bobbysmiths
me make purty musick!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:55 pm

I just bought one at $150 too. Couldn't resist the price for a new rtas amp modeler. They still charge $600 for amp farm and that's all their old algorithms. These people have REALLY been developing amp modeling over the last few years, so I'm thinking it might blow amp farm out of the water. Or at least put a dent in it.

I'll let you know when I get them up side by side.

-marc alan goodman

Mysterytrain
pluggin' in mics

Post by Mysterytrain » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Somebody help me out. Other than the extra models, what's the advantage of the GearBox plug-in vs. using one of the TonePort units with the GearBox software.

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:03 pm

Mysterytrain wrote:Somebody help me out. Other than the extra models, what's the advantage of the GearBox plug-in vs. using one of the TonePort units with the GearBox software.
this is actually described in some detail in a review in the mag a couple of issues ago. basically it lets you use the software as a plugin and includes a di output so you can record a di track (with no modelling), but simultaneously monitor (or record on another track) a modelled track. this will let you either reamp with a plug in or a reamp box and amp later. also because it's kind of like a dongle with a di input and outputs, you can use it with protools either by physically patching a connection from one to all three of the outputs into your pro tools hardware. i might run the di output into my duet to take advantage of the apogee conversion

the bundle is pretty good-- especially for $150. i've been messing around with it for about 1 1/2 hours and i dig it. the presets are a little wonky, but you can do a lot with it-- there are different miking options (57 on/off axis, 421, u67), lots of amp and cabinet models and tons of effects. i've actually been having fun with the bass amp models for a while. my favorite right now is probably not one of the bass amp models itself, but running my bass through the api preamp model into the sansamp stomp box model and through some modelled la-2a compression.
________
POV CAM
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:43 pm

So I should get mine tomorrow, but I was flipping through the manual on line. How do I install this is my DAW isn't conected to the internet? Is that going to be a problem? I wouldn't think so as the DI is a big dongle, but it seems to say that you have to have an internet connection? If anybody has installed this on a non-internet connected comp, hook a brother up?

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:05 pm

iirc in the tapeop review, the reviewer described it as activating it on another computer and involving copying some registry files from one place to another.
you may need to contact their tech support about it. if you can hook your computer up to the internet just for this it only took a couple of minutes to get it all done. i would recommend downloading the newest gearbox software and gearbox monkey ap from the line 6 site as it didn't work right when i tried to install it from the cd that came with it (a leopard issue perhaps?)
________
Kohls gift card
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 pm

Booo..... I bought the silver package for $99. I would have bought the gold for $150 had I known. That said, the silver seems pretty good so far. The preamp models are kinda lame, but the guitar and bass sims will have their uses. The effects might come in handy on certain mixes too for stuff other than guitar. In the end well worth the $99 but I kinda wish that I had the full pack. Oh well.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Got mine up and running. I really like some of the out there amp models like the matchless and soldono's. I did a quick side by side with guitar rig and so far I still liked GR better. The gr amps seem a bit brighter and faster to react and the Line six seems easier to distort and a lot crunchier in the distortion zone. I will say, for $150 it's a hell of a deal considering GR is twice as much and the tone port thing really is a sweet deal. I will totally take the out from my U5 into the tone port for tracking live through the Line 6 plug in.