Corrupt Sonar file

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Corrupt Sonar file

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:55 pm

Don't tell me I'm screwed. I DO save regularly, I DO change my file names, but today I just didn't and guess what?

"The file you are trying to open is not compatible with this version of Sonar."

Really? Am I screwed? Everything on the net says I am...is there a way I can like...change the code of the file or something somehow? Really? This is such a royal pain in the ass.....

:cry:

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:38 pm

What version of Sonar are you using?

Do you use auto save?

send it to me and I can try and open it. I won't have the same plugs but maybe i can at least open and and resave it for you.

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Also - find where sonar is storing the picture cache and trash all the images in it. This will not hurt ANY project. I've had issues with corrupt images before. Sonar creates an image of each audio file for display in the track view and stores it somewhere on your machine. It will reacreate these as needed.

Look under folder options - it will tell you where they are.

AND

Try holding the shift key and then double clicking on the corupt Sonar file. Hold it down while you load it. This will cause Sonar to load the file in Safe Mode.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 am

Thanks for the replies!

I do NOT use Autosave. Boo on me.

Okay, so I tried safe mode and I loaded NO plugins, and I still get the same error. Boo.

I tried intalling Sonar 5 on another computer and then trying to open the file on that computer, but it didn't work. Same error.

I'm a little worried about trashing the picture cache. Isn't that what makes the pictures of the wave files show up in the track window? Won't those all dissappear? In my experience, it does not recreate these.

-Ken

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:14 am

You can delete the picture cache at any time. If it didnt recreate them how do you think you can open a project on another PC?

I do it when I archive a project.

I hope your project file is not corrupt. Do you have any type of backup? If not maybe this will prod you to setup an automated backup and use autosave :D
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:18 am

I know you can delete the picture cache, but in my experience when you do this and then open the project, all it does it show the audio as a line and not show a picture of the wave.

Right?

I'll try that when I get home today if I think it's safe enough to do. Maybe I'll just back all of it up somewhere and then delete it.

Anyway, I do have a backup, but then we were working the other day and we added a bunch of tracks and had a great mix going, but then it all went to shit, so basically it was just one day that was not backed up to the fullest.

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:29 am

Deleting the picture cache won't hurt your project. It's like house cleaning. Sonar stores pics of every wav file you've ever had on screen since you've installed it. If one of the pics in your project is corrupt, it'll crash your load.

You can always send the file into cakewalk and see if they can recover it....

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:40 am

Okay, I deleted the picture cache and it's still not opening. I think it's over. I had a really nice bus compression set on my drums on that mix! DOH!!

The computer has this great habit of crashing, so it crashed while the audio was running and now the CWP file is jerked.

-Ken

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:16 am

This sounds awful... my PC died on me in the middle of a session the other day but I guess luck was with me as when I finally got the box going again and re-opened the project, all I lost was the last take (and I was only doing bass overdubs, so just one take of one instrument)... thank goodness... the threat of a corrupt file down the road has me re-thinking NOT starting everything at 0 in case I have to re-align a bunch of tracks later.

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 pm

At least all the original poster's audio tracks are safe in the audio folder. It sucks that you have to remake the project file though.

Cakewalk's stuff seems prone to this kind of bullshit, although I like it in other ways. Once you crash with a Sonar file up, the program often denies that file like a redheaded stepchild.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:47 pm

I rebuilt it all. It SUCKED. I had older versions that had most of it still in there, but the mix I was working on is freakin gone. I only had to line up maybe 15 tracks or so.

I have started saving projects like this

song 6-1
song 6-2
song 6-3

and every time I save(every few minutes), I save as and select the next one.

Whatever. If you want to hear my reconstruction, it's called Oooh Nah Nah Nah at http://www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic . I'm happy with it, but man that drum bus compression I had workin on that mix I lost was killin.

-Ken