Esthetically your favorite piece of gear.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:42 pm

API and Neve stuff always looks cool in racks. Chandler looks swell as well. GT Vipre and the Shadow Hills range looks pretty tough with the bakelite knobs and VU meters.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Have I replied in this post yet? I know not. But whatever...

I like green Altec stuff. The 1592 with VU's looks amazing in a rack, even if it's not the greatest piece of gear ever. 3U with nicely lit VU's is a thing of beauty, in my opinion.

mrclean
pushin' record

Swanky VU's...

Post by mrclean » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Speaking of VU's...I like the look of the DW Fearn Gear:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deansabatino/225492128/

I friend of mine now owns a couple pieces and we've been out to Doug's to pick them up. He's a really nice fellow too. His gear is top notch (and top $$$!) but man does it sound good!
-- mrclean

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Here are some of my favorite looking pieces I own.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:29 am

InvalidInk wrote:Here are some of my favorite looking pieces I own.

NICE! didn't you have a sountracs topaz for awhile?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:29 pm

no I was thinking about getting one but I came across a good deal on a Tascam M3500 that was somewhat local. That picture actually makes it look a lot cooler than it does with out thedramatic lighting, but still it looks really cool. I had a Ramsa console, which I am gonna sell now.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:45 pm

InvalidInk wrote:no I was thinking about getting one but I came across a good deal on a Tascam M3500 that was somewhat local. That picture actually makes it look a lot cooler than it does with out thedramatic lighting, but still it looks really cool. I had a Ramsa console, which I am gonna sell now.
what kind of ramsa and how much? issues with it? i am in the market for a console...

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:50 pm

InvalidInk wrote:no I was thinking about getting one but I came across a good deal on a Tascam M3500 that was somewhat local. That picture actually makes it look a lot cooler than it does with out thedramatic lighting, but still it looks really cool. I had a Ramsa console, which I am gonna sell now.
I dont get you guys and yer Ramsas. They have great ergonomics and features but the sound quality was total suck. The EQ had neat features like switchable freqs for the high and low pass, but it was mushy and indistinct sounding. When I got a mackie 1604 it was a major upgrade. The only other comparable upgrade was when I got my 828mkII BLA-ed and chucked the 1604 entirely!
I mean not to piss on your selling of your Ramsa! I just dont understand all the adherents to those machines!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:02 pm

well, not all ramsa consoles are cruddy. a while back i did some engineering on a ramsa and it was actually a really nice clean workhorse of a board. not much color or character, but for the type of project, it was just what the dr. ordered.... plus, if i don't like something, i mod it. i have a ton of experience working with audio equipment, repairs, mods, design, etc.... i was just curious as to the format, the model, and condition of it. plus, some models of ramsa are very tough on the road which i would be doing alot of on location stuff....and it doesn't negate the fact that i have some outboard pre's that i use a ton of.... i am leaning towards a soundtracs topaz i recently found for 400 bucks....and i also have located an older soundcraft 600 for cheap, but i am not for sure if i want to go that route cause it will for sure need some grounding work and a good recapping; not to mention some potentiometer love...

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:56 pm

casey campbell wrote:well, not all ramsa consoles are cruddy. a while back i did some engineering on a ramsa and it was actually a really nice clean workhorse of a board. not much color or character, but for the type of project, it was just what the dr. ordered.... plus, if i don't like something, i mod it. i have a ton of experience working with audio equipment, repairs, mods, design, etc.... i was just curious as to the format, the model, and condition of it. plus, some models of ramsa are very tough on the road which i would be doing alot of on location stuff....and it doesn't negate the fact that i have some outboard pre's that i use a ton of.... i am leaning towards a soundtracs topaz i recently found for 400 bucks....and i also have located an older soundcraft 600 for cheap, but i am not for sure if i want to go that route cause it will for sure need some grounding work and a good recapping; not to mention some potentiometer love...
the Topaz I have used sounded awesome but apparently they have reliability issues.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:07 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:
casey campbell wrote:well, not all ramsa consoles are cruddy. a while back i did some engineering on a ramsa and it was actually a really nice clean workhorse of a board. not much color or character, but for the type of project, it was just what the dr. ordered.... plus, if i don't like something, i mod it. i have a ton of experience working with audio equipment, repairs, mods, design, etc.... i was just curious as to the format, the model, and condition of it. plus, some models of ramsa are very tough on the road which i would be doing alot of on location stuff....and it doesn't negate the fact that i have some outboard pre's that i use a ton of.... i am leaning towards a soundtracs topaz i recently found for 400 bucks....and i also have located an older soundcraft 600 for cheap, but i am not for sure if i want to go that route cause it will for sure need some grounding work and a good recapping; not to mention some potentiometer love...
the Topaz I have used sounded awesome but apparently they have reliability issues.
well, that's never fun.....

speaking of consoles, here's my favorite eye candy:

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:37 am

whoa, i guess i won! :D

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:04 am

my modular synth:

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:12 am

Damn nice e-bow stand. Stecki na rack-u desu yo.

Are you working in Japan as a musician?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 am

shedshrine wrote:Damn nice e-bow stand.
:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.