Has the gear craze finally gone over the edge?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:10 pm

lefuquaire wrote:i always thought they were essential

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/ ... 0_0804.jpg
WOW! That's a crazy looking control room. What's the board? It's cute.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:15 pm

Marcocet wrote:
dwlb wrote:I saw a Silvertone 1484 on eBay today with a buy it now of $1200.

I paid $150 for one about six years ago.

Fucking Jack White. :evil:
Why Fucking? God bless the man! I picked mine up for $35. I'm goin straight to the bank!

-marc alan
Yeah, I get that, but I wanted to be able to buy more for cheap. All the kooky off-the-radar gear I like gets expensive on eBay, and I know for damn sure it's not because thousands of kids are buying the DWLB album and saying "I wanna sound like them."

I do have a spare 1484 head I might sell off to pay down a credit card, though, now that you mention it... :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 pm

junkshop wrote:Try buying an Omnichord.
Gawd, I should ahve picked up a couple of those when I worked at the warehouse...I could have probably got them for dirt cheap. Had no use for one at the time... :roll:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 pm

yeah dont you hate what ebay has done for gear? I mean I get that some vintage stuff is so rare that it is going to go up in price. But why on earth are Traynor amps suddenly getting all pricey? And when did Ovation Magnum basses get hip? I could've sworn I was the only person who played those.

PS dont get me started about MG1s. Last year they were going for $300. Now people are starting their auctions at $300!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:29 am

touch my nipple.

$13.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:09 am

RefD wrote:
wenley wrote:Wow. I had no idea. And I thought guitars and audio gear was stupid expensive. I guess I need to get out more...or even at all!
i've got a SPACE: 1999 playset (with an Eagle and 3 action figures from the first season cast) my folks gave me for xmas 1975 that goes for stupid money now.

it might eventually help defray the costs of putting my daughters through school! :lol:
my friend drew and i recorded an improv song with a Space 1999 record book. remember the ones that would chime when you were supposed to turn the page?

here's the track.
http://www.socialschematic.org/music/ta ... ce1999.mp3

the stuff in just that one "episode" was excellent sampling.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:39 am

RefD wrote:
RodC wrote:
RefD wrote: i've got a SPACE: 1999 playset (with an Eagle and 3 action figures from the first season cast) my folks gave me for xmas 1975 that goes for stupid money now.
I had that, it was huge. I think I still have the figures. Awsome toy! I wish someone would run the reruns. Got to buy the dvds.
yah, 1975 was a great xmas for me.

i also got a LEGO fire station set that year! :D

i have some of season 1 of SPACE: 1999 (season 2 was a travesty) and it's great in a cheeseball way, but still quite entertaining.
I had that too! The eagle. I loved the way the front of it detached from the body... that was the "escape" module or whatever. I totally destroyed mine in the back yard. The black/smoke see through cover for the command module was busted off in about a week.... i played with stuff hard, I guess.... I also had a speak and spell, but I had the first year one with the actual buttons that would fall off and you had to stick your finger in the hole it left to hit "enter" on mine after about 3 months. I loved that thing.

EVerything will become vintage. it is a fact. the production of all this shit started later than you would think. at least the proliferation of all this kind of shit. I would have never pictured my "dan van", a "voice controlled remote control van" as anything cool, but it gt old enough and someone wanted to buy it.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:05 am

yeah, space 1999. Wasnt that the last good thing Martin Landau did? I cant believe it was only 2 seasons. But then again wasnt Battlestar Galactica only 2?
Well its like I always tell young bands. there aint nothin your gonna say in your 2nd 20 minutes that you didnt already say in the first 20. So get the FUCK off my stage so the next band can play.

sorry, former sound guy. Still in therapy.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:18 am

i tried to replace my childhood keyboard a few years back... little did i know the market for casio sk-1's has been through the roof this whole decade...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:yeah, space 1999. Wasnt that the last good thing Martin Landau did?.
i liked him in Ed Wood.
thieves wrote:i tried to replace my childhood keyboard a few years back... little did i know the market for casio sk-1's has been through the roof this whole decade...
yah, friggin' circuit benders!

*turns garden hose on neighbour kids*

*covers pile of bent electronic toys with a blue tarp while everyone is distracted*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:28 am

formzero wrote:my friend drew and i recorded an improv song with a Space 1999 record book. remember the ones that would chime when you were supposed to turn the page?

here's the track.
http://www.socialschematic.org/music/ta ... ce1999.mp3

the stuff in just that one "episode" was excellent sampling.
that's great!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:08 pm

drumsound wrote:
lefuquaire wrote:i always thought they were essential

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/ ... 0_0804.jpg
WOW! That's a crazy looking control room. What's the board? It's cute.
hey.. yeah the room is always in varying degrees of clutter.. the board is an allen & heath saber board from the 80's.. i think that's what larry crane has as well.. anyhow i rescued it for $100.. i could spend a few bucks on some upgrades at this point i suppose.

oh and on the subject of space 1999, i was mesmerized by this show as a child.. i found a couple of LP's from the show.. one of em is mint!

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:37 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
RefD wrote:
RodC wrote:
RefD wrote: i've got a SPACE: 1999 playset (with an Eagle and 3 action figures from the first season cast) my folks gave me for xmas 1975 that goes for stupid money now.
I had that, it was huge. I think I still have the figures. Awsome toy! I wish someone would run the reruns. Got to buy the dvds.
yah, 1975 was a great xmas for me.

i also got a LEGO fire station set that year! :D

i have some of season 1 of SPACE: 1999 (season 2 was a travesty) and it's great in a cheeseball way, but still quite entertaining.
I had that too! The eagle. I loved the way the front of it detached from the body... that was the "escape" module or whatever. I totally destroyed mine in the back yard. The black/smoke see through cover for the command module was busted off in about a week.... i played with stuff hard, I guess....
I have one of those! We found it when I cleaned out the "old homestead" this summer. It's about as stripped-down as you can get and still be considered intact... I briefly considered buying a non-hammered one on eBay just for old times' sake. Then I thought... well, I thought... and now I have a bunch more gear.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

CarlWelden
audio school graduate
Location: New Paltz, N.Y. Catskills / Mid-Hudson valley region

Childhood collectables

Post by CarlWelden » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:50 pm

I have 2 Casio SK-1 (one's the Realistic knock off) This makes me want to dig them out and give them a test run.

On the note of toys though, not to sound cold, but the day Lee Majors passes away, I will be anticipating a profitable, nostalgic windfall for all my Six Million Dollar Man childhood bionic crap. With their original packaging (thanks Mom for not throwing anything away).
CARL WELDEN - Voice Overs, Performance art.
"A Welden voice is a well-done voice"

http://www.carlwelden.com

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:03 pm

too bad the same thing didnt happen when star wars died (thanks to Lucas).
Now all my star wars toys are worth less than they were before episode I/II/III.