Presonus M80 vs M-Audio Tampa and DMP3?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Presonus M80 vs M-Audio Tampa and DMP3?

Post by dickiefunk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:21 am

I currently have the M-Audio Tampa and DMP3 as my current pres. I just saw the Presonus M80 for an extremely low price and am wondering if it would be worth me selling my Tampa and DMP3 and get the M80?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:22 am

I have the MP20, which is the 2-channel version of the M80. You can replace all of the op-amps with Burr-Browns and it becomes a solid mic preamp. I have owned the MP20 for five years, two of them with the Burr-Browns that I put in myself. The preamp was good before the op-amp exchange, however it is bold and much better with them.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:05 am

Would you say it's a step up from the Tampa and DMP3?

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:59 am

I've never used either of those preamps, so I can't comment. I will tell you this: for the money it is a rock solid preamp, and with the Burr-Brown mod it'll even sound better. You can also put Jensen transformers in there if it doesn't already have them.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:07 am

It already has the jensen transformer!

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:47 am

Hi. This was the one with the Jensen transformer but I've decided not to get it.
To be perfectly honest, I am really happy with my DMP3 and Tampa and like the fact that they both have their own sound. I also like the versatility of the Tampa and the different sounds I can get.

The Presonus M80 cost ?200 ($400)
I could have sold my DMP3 for ?50-?100
I could have sold the Tampa for ?150

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Uh... I'll buy the M80 for $400.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:14 am

Would the M80 have been a noticeable step up in terms of audio quality?

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:01 am

Those M80s eBay for twice that much, and retail for 3 times.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:10 am

The M80, with Jensens and Burr-Browns, is a seriously quality preamp. At 8-channels, it's a great from end for the money. Like I said, I have the 2-channel version (w/out Jensens), and it is rock solid.

From ebay, where one is going for BIN $899:
The M80 is an 8 channel version of the MP20. It has high quality transformer balanced inputs, and uses high quality parts throughout. These preamps sound similar to API style mic preamps, and produce extremely detailed and powerful sounds. These things sound awesome, absolutely awesome, on just about anything you throw at it. I used these on everything from drums, to bass, to vocals, and everything you throw at it comes out sounding incredibly detailed. Some of the best drum sounds I've heard have been recorded with this type of mic preamp.

Another great feature on these is the IDSS circuit, that basically lets you mess with the transformer biasing, which is a similar effect to tube saturation. It means you can even harmonics to the sound, warming it, and it's an effect like nothing else you can find on another preamp. It's another excellent reason to own these mic preamps. Sometimes I'll have a singer with a REALLY thin and piercing voice, and messing with the IDSS really takes the edge off, while maintaining a high quality sound. It's an option I turn to regularly.

This M80 is in great shape, and I just got it back from Presonus where they went through and cleaned and brought this back up to factory spec. So it's got a few scratches here and there, and but everything has been brought back to factory spec and it's basically a refurbished unit. It had a few scratchy pots before, which is why I sent it in, and they cleaned it out, replaced the noisy pots with new ones and refurbished it for me, and now it sounds and works as new.

The M80 is an Eight-Channel Microphone/Instrument Preamp featuring low noise, balanced input transformers, ultra low impedance mix bus and vintage warmth control.

The M80 is designed with a low impedance stereo mix bus for assigning and panning any channel to the main stereo output connectors. It also has a high gain headphone output for monitoring the main bus.

A special feature of the M80 is the IDSS control on each channel. The IDSS control adjusts the drain current on the input FET amplifier thus altering the even harmonic levels of the signal. A wide range of control is offered from 0% to 100%. This feature may be used to adjust the harmonics of the signal from absolutely pure (no harmonics) to simulation of the effects of tape saturation and tube "warmth".

The back panel of the M80 is fully loaded with XLR balanced input/output connectors and TRS line inputs via Neutrik combo connectors. Each channel is equipped with separate send and return jacks for inserting dynamics processors (such as the Presonus ACP88). Mix output connectors are XLR for balanced signals as well as for line level signals such as digital audio card inputs.

The M80 is housed in a double rack space, steel chassis with a high quality blue anodized front panel. The unit also has an high output headphone amplifier and utilizes an external power supply to create a noise free preamp environment (S/N >98dB!).

Features:

* Plug microphones and instruments directly into the Neutrik? combo connectors
* Feed the inputs of a digital audio workstation with the M80's eight discrete outputs
* Mix any of the eight channels to the mix bus/fold back system
* Use for live remote/straight to two track recording
* Chain multiple M80s together via the auxiliary inputs
* Optimize valuable rack space and performance
* Insert your favorite outboard gear via the servo balanced send/return jacks.

Technical Specifications:

* Number of Channels: Eight
* Dynamic Range: >120dB
* Noise Floor @ Bus: -90.2dBu
* Noise Floor @ Main Output:-96.4dBu
* Number of Channels: Eight
* Noise Floor @ Channel Output: +24dB gain, -88.2dBu
* Headroom: +28dBu
* Frequency Response: ? 0.5dB, 10Hz - 60kHz
* Crosstalk:<82dBu @ 10kHz
* Channel Gain, Mic Input:+24dB to +60dB
* THD + Noise (No IDSS):0.0024%
* THD + Noise (Max IDSS):0.500%
* Input Impedance:1.3k Ohms
* Output Impedance:51 Ohms
* Master Output Control (Bus):-72dB to +10dB
* Metering:Full Scale
* Send Output Impedance:51 Ohms
* Return Impedance:10k Ohms
* Internal Operation Level:0dBu = 0dBu
* Input Connectors:NeutrikTM Combo Connector
* Output Connectors:XLR
* Send Connectors:?" TRS
* Return Connectors:?" TRS
* Power Supply:External, Toroidial, Linear Supply
* Power Requirements:100V AC to 120V AC or 200V AC to 240V AC
* Main Connection:IEC Receptacle
* Size:2U Rack, 19" x 3.5" x 7"
* Weight:13 Lbs.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:54 am

yeah $400 is a steal for that pre. Especailly if its the older one with the jensens. That like finding a nice stingray from the early 90's with the flamed maple neck and all.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:29 am

So what's up? Did you buy the M80 or does the guy still have it? Because I'm serious; I'll buy it for $400! :) That's a great preamp.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi. I didn't buy it at the time. I did try to contact him again a couple of times but didn't have any replies so am sticking with the DMP3 and Tampa which are good pres anyway.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:56 pm

A step up from those would be a chameleon labs mic pre IMO.